What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League of Legends Charity Match

nqboy

First Grade
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,18921511%5E14793,00.html

Age shall not weary them all
By ANTONY STEWART
25apr06

SOME will be happy to hang up the boots forever while others showed their skills haven't been lost entirely at the Legends of League Charity Match at Dairy Farmers Stadium last night.

In a flashback to the early 1990s - and for some, even earlier - 34 of the greatest ever players from Australia and New Zealand came together to help raise money for the Far North Queensland communities devastated by Cyclone Larry.

For the record, in a match where defence was not a priority, the Kangaroos won 44-36 in front of a crowd just shy of 8000.

Aussie coach Greg Dowling, who was more than happy to watch some guys who used to be teammates sweat it out as he watched on from the sidelines, said the players were rapt with the response from the North Queensland locals.

"The game of rugby league is alive and well up here and that is why the boys put their time back into it, it's the least that we can do," he said.

Townsville Centrals junior Gorden Tallis received the biggest cheer of the night as he streaked 30m to score under the posts and start a 22-point burst that saw the Kangaroos go to the halftime break leading 34-12.

But just to show the 7844 fans on hand he's still got it, he refused the easy conversion, marching the ball towards the sideline from where he calmly slotted the two points. While Tallis looked pretty pleased with himself as he made his way back to halfway, his teammates weren't quite as thrilled with the former Brisbane skipper's achievement. Cliff Lyons reckoned they wouldn't be hearing the end of it for a while. "All night we will be getting that one," he said.

But the former Manly great showed he still had a few tricks up his sleeve.
It's often joked that Lyons would still be running around in the NRL if given the chance and after witnessing some of the skills he showed last night, they could be right. The 40-something, who still plays in a local Sydney competition, laid on the first try for Dale Shearer with a sweetly timed cut- out pass to send the former Cowboy on a 40m dash for the tryline.

"He still looks great doesn't he?" Dowling said. "He showed some great skills out there with his hands and things and that was the great thing for these fans. It's a great opportunity to come and see some of these players, because most of them wouldn't have seen the wide array of talent we've got within New Zealand and Australia and I think they put on a great display."

While the Australians had rocketed out to a 22-point halftime lead, New Zealand fought back to be within six with 13 minutes to go.

As of last night the money raised by the event was nudging the $500,000 mark, but promoters said they were still keen to see the magical $1 million figure before the donation lines closed in two weeks.

Further donations can be made online at www.landcareline.com or by calling 1800 441 533.

AUSTRALIA 44 (Dale Shearer, Gary Belcher, Gorden Tallis, Michael Buettner, Kerry Boustead, Chad Buckby, Mal Meninga, Cliff Lyons tries, 6 conversions) d NEW ZEALAND 36 (Shane Horo 2, Tony Tatupo 2, Sam Stewart, Darrell Williams, Tyran Smith tries, 4 conversions)

Jedda

Juniors
I think its great to see the Yesterday Heros getting together for charity matches.

For future matches though, I'd really like to see Fox or Channel 9 get on board and actually televise the match as a "pay-per-view" type thing with proceeds going to the charity involved.

***MH***

Bench
the promotion for this event has been absolutley half arsed.... not even half! the legends participating in the event had the ability to be a major drawcard in enticing a sellout crowd up north with at least live TV coverage. As far as newspapers are concerned, articles about the match were well hidden, Big League at least had a full page splash, but no match preview. TV had nothing....
The charity that would be benefiting this cause would have every right to feel atleast somewhat robbed. With such a small crowd, it would have only just paid off the crappy advertisements that they created for the event.

Tigertread

Juniors
***MH*** said:
the promotion for this event has been absolutley half arsed.... not even half! the legends participating in the event had the ability to be a major drawcard in enticing a sellout crowd up north with at least live TV coverage. As far as newspapers are concerned, articles about the match were well hidden, Big League at least had a full page splash, but no match preview. TV had nothing....
The charity that would be benefiting this cause would have every right to feel atleast somewhat robbed. With such a small crowd, it would have only just paid off the crappy advertisements that they created for the event.
It was advertised every day for the last two weeks on the radio, TV and newspapers, full page spreads. It's been the main topic in the news up here.
And 8000 was not a small crowd for a monday night in Townsville for a charity game. And the cyclone victims are happy with the donations that are still pouring in from last night.

Tigertread

Juniors
BUNDY Rum put its hand in its pocket and shouted Innisfail and district folk 100 tickets to the Cyclone Larry Charity Match at Dairy Farmers Stadium last night.
Not only that, the Bundy boys and girls dug deeper and found enough loot in the bottom of the bottle to put on two buses to run the lucky punters down to the game.
Quite a few people who lost their houses and businesses were among those who made it down to the see the Aussie legends take on the Kiwis.

Jedda

Juniors
For on-ground attendence to a Charity match I think 8000 is acceptable, but in order to broaden the capacity to make money for the Charity involved the organisers shot themselves in the foot big time by not insuring a greater spectrum of general footy supporters had access to the match.

Tigertread

Juniors
Jedda said:
For on-ground attendence to a Charity match I think 8000 is acceptable, but in order to broaden the capacity to make money for the Charity involved the organisers shot themselves in the foot big time by not insuring a greater spectrum of general footy supporters had access to the match.
Well it was played in NQ so the people from the district who suffered from the cyclone could attend.
The Cowboys v Storm game was also a game played for the Cyclone victims (with a lot of money raised from that match, but not as much as last night) which was viewed on pay tv so heaps of people seen the game and donated.

IanG

Coach
Jedda said:
I think its great to see the Yesterday Heros getting together for charity matches.

For future matches though, I'd really like to see Fox or Channel 9 get on board and actually televise the match as a "pay-per-view" type thing with proceeds going to the charity involved.

Not a bad idea Jedda. Bit like what they did with Tsunami Cricket Match

Jedda

Juniors
Jedda said:
For on-ground attendence to a Charity match I think 8000 is acceptable,

I have no problems with the match being played in NQ considering it was the region affected by the Hurricane.

Jedda said:
but in order to broaden the capacity to make money for the Charity involved the organisers shot themselves in the foot big time by not insuring a greater spectrum of general footy supporters had access to the match.

Meaning, I wish the Legends Charity match had been viewable on TV even as a pay-per-view event with the proceeds going back to the charity.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding Tigertread.

I also think its great that the Cowboys/Storm match raised money for the victims as well.