What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League player Johns 'knackered'

Doctor

Bench
There is no doubt Johns is flat -- everyone knows it, including the great halfback himself. I suppose the big question is: why? He's started winding down, with retirements from both levels of rep football and a channel 9 gig beckoning. I don't think he is going anywhere too fast though -- don't forget that last year he extended his contract by another two years... I think he has every intention of playing next season at least.

Why is he flat? Besides the above-mentioned, I also think he is wearing himself out with having to do a lot of the work. He is still being relied upon to do a lot of the key plays, and given he is already fairly flat, it's only really making things worse.

A welcome relief was Jarrod Mullen last week -- his kicking game was twice as good as Kurt Gidley's, and he performed reasonably well for a newcomer. The good thing about his play is that he doesn't rely on Johns to do anything -- they are separate entities with virtually no reliance on each other. It means we have a playmaker, kicker and go-to man either side of the field... something we haven't had in quite a while.

Newcastle hasn't had a genuine 5/8th since Matthew Johns left because we have relied heavily on Johns and haven't seen the need to complicate things. I think Mullen has a good head on his shoulders and have no reason to think he won't take more pressure of Johns in the coming months (when he returns)... with a better 5/8th, the focus on Johns will be lessened and therefore his workload will theoretically decrease hence a longer life expentancy and a better team performance.

ShadesOfTheSun said:
If Newcastle wins the premiership this year, I think Johns might choose to retire. It's all he really has left to do, listening to him.

I cant imagine Joey would be pissweak enough to do that imagine that announces if we win the GF that his retiring, you'd throttle him we'd be ruined before a ball had even been kicked off in 07.

His been playing for such a long time there's a good possibility that he is just over it, simple as that.

But I'd assume that his just going through a flat spot, I critisised that bye we have just before the finals but after seeing how we've coped mentally with the weeks of football looks like its a godsent.

Latest posts