What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

league supporters want storm to play for points

would you be happy for the storm to be premiers this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gronkathon

First Grade
Problem is if they make payouts they will not be under the cap. Because they have contractual obligations with those players they will never be under the cap unless they release players without pay.

Taking a pay cut is not an option because that is just ratifying a fraudulent side

Give the Storm 2 weeks to get everyone under the cap through cuttings, payouts, releases, whatever, restart them on 0 and let them play. If they were under the cap I would cheer for them in the GF against anyone not from QLD.

Agree, only if the get under the cap. But not by just reducing payments to players.

progress.gif

Didgi

The catch to my original post:
The players cut part is big - they would be playing for base wage or little over it or they would be in England or Rugby, so forcing them to cut players could actually just harm our game more than help the Storm. If the Storm lose say Slater and Finch and a high-paid forward, say Blair. Where would they play?

Jono078

Referee
Give the Knights Inglis and Cronk, that puts them under the cap and then they can play for points.

The catch to my original post:
The players cut part is big - they would be playing for base wage or little over it or they would be in England or Rugby, so forcing them to cut players could actually just harm our game more than help the Storm. If the Storm lose say Slater and Finch and a high-paid forward, say Blair. Where would they play?

The Storm should be forced to pay the players even if not playing or cut.
Warriors could offer say Cam Smith $10 000 - $30 000 this year (if it keeps them below their cap), with next year to be $400 000 to replace Prices wage. Therefore players not lost to Union etc.

Didgi

Problem is if they make payouts they will not be under the cap. Because they have contractual obligations with those players they will never be under the cap unless they release players without pay.

Taking a pay cut is not an option because that is just ratifying a fraudulent side

Maybe they could work something with the NRL.
Something no-one has mentioned is the extra money given to the players (the 'paperbag' money) - will that be paid back? The NRL would have to work it out to make sense. The end of this year, if not the middle, they are going to have to replace 700K of talent with no room in the cap.

Agree, only if the get under the cap. But not by just reducing payments to players.

progress.gif

I think player payments should be able to be reduced, if the players are willing to fix the MASSIVE f**k up by admin out of their own pocket then they should be allowed to. IMO. I know the side was illegally brought together blah blah, but that has been punished. I've said it a dozen times before: The NRL should severely punish the past, but don't punish the future.

nqcowboy87

Bench
a loan system to the struggling clubs of the super-league for the rest of the year and next year if they want any of them back they will have to decide who they want, and the ones they cant afford, well so be it

Helen

Juniors
Poll options are rubbish.
Imo when they get below the cap, they should be allowed to play for points.

And like many you seem to have forgotten had the Storm not cheated some of these superstars would have had to go to other clubs. So they would NOT have had the playing roster they have. Other teams could be benefiting from these same players and stand a better chance of winning the comp.

It is not just about taking back $$'s.

Didgi

The Storm should be forced to pay the players even if not playing or cut.
Warriors could offer say Cam Smith $10 000 - $30 000 this year (if it keeps them below their cap), with next year to be $400 000 to replace Prices wage. Therefore players not lost to Union etc.

Are you saying that he would be included in the Warriors cap and on their books as a $30,000 player but actually be paid $400,000 out of the Storm's pocket, then next year the Warriors can pick it up with Price's retirement?

Interesting idea.

adamkungl

Immortal
And like many you seem to have forgotten had the Storm not cheated some of these superstars would have had to go to other clubs. So they would NOT have had the playing roster they have. Other teams could be benefiting from these same players and stand a better chance of winning the comp.

I haven't forgotten anything. I'm not proposing simple paycuts. They have to somehow remove $700k of talent.

Grail

Juniors
A pay cut won't work. It is too late now to shop players around to other clubs (maybe with the exception of the Knights), as they are all at their cap.

The problem is, that if the Storm had stuck to the rules, one or more of the players on their roster could be at another club at the beginning of the year, thus giving them a better chance at making the 8. If these players stay at the Storm, then those clubs have been denied an opportunity because of an illegal team, and losing an opportunity to recruit a top line player.

It isn't necessarily black and white, but the shades of grey are not easily defined either. Either way, it's a right royal f**k up.

Didgi

They. Have. Been. Punished. For. Illegally. Forming. The. Side.

What's better now, have Melbourne keep the players then they go to other clubs at the end of the year, or release them all now when no-one can afford them and have 3 - 4 more of the best elite players in the game in Rugby or England?

gronkathon

First Grade
But they cannot remove the talent in reality because the contracts will have to be finalised to do so and therefor the cap cheating remains

Gaba

First Grade
the nrl should give the storm this idea

If you want to keep your players ok, but as a punishment the storm must start in the negative number of points, storm won over the years they rorted the cap .
for example years 1-5 total 144 pts , they will start -144
and if they finish on -108

year 2 they start on -108

and so on

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
I think player payments should be able to be reduced, if the players are willing to fix the MASSIVE f**k up by admin out of their own pocket then they should be allowed to. IMO. I know the side was illegally brought together blah blah, but that has been punished. I've said it a dozen times before: The NRL should severely punish the past, but don't punish the future.
I disagree. To drive the disincentive home you have to force them to release players at least equal in value to the breach. Otherwise you get the Canterbury situation of an "illegally" forged team bouncing back after only two seasons to win a premiership. All contracts should have to be paid at the value as originally signed (according to the hidden books!). The Storm should have to exlcude as many players as necessary from their playing squad for the rest of the season such that the value of the remainding players is enough under the cap with room to fill the squad back out to 25 players with NYC and other non first grade players on minimum wage. They'd still have to pay the excluded players their full contracted value but it needn't count further against the cap because they'd no longer be part of the playing squad. The financial penalty is in the Storm still having to pay players they can't use and/or who are playing for rival teams.

Leigh.

nqcowboy87

Bench
the nrl should give the storm this idea

If you want to keep your players ok, but as a punishment the storm must start in the negative number of points, storm won over the years they rorted the cap .
for example years 1-5 total 144 pts , they will start -144
and if they finish on -108

year 2 they start on -108

and so on

yeh so in three years they will be ack to o points??

Quidgybo

Bench
But they cannot remove the talent in reality because the contracts will have to be finalised to do so and therefor the cap cheating remains
It doesn't remain if they can't field those players. In fact it penalises them even further financially because they still have to pay full contract value for players they can't use and who can go and play for rival clubs. As long as the Storm's 25 man playing squad that will play the reason of the season is brought back under the cap (without renegotiation of agreed contracts), I have no problem with whatever payments need to happen outside of that to meet legal obligations.

Leigh.