What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon players to protest against governing body against Fiji

siv

First Grade
But didnt we go through this 12 months ago ?

And in theory it was settled by a change in LRLF management

adamkungl

Immortal
An interview from last year with the former president.

https://mascordbrownz.com/2018/05/0...anon-rugby-league-president-via-leagueweekly/

I think the truth will fall somewhere in the middle of everything here.

I don't doubt that the Lebanese board has used whatever means necessary to get themselves elected.

I don't doubt that some clubs have failed to meet fair requirements and have selfish motives for trying to overthrow the board.

I am very skeptical of the motives of Farah and co, and think they are using the domestic club situation as an angle to push for a more Aus-heritage (aka $$$ to the test team) focused board.

Cooper-Man

Bench
I have started a little debate on Twitter with the official Lebanese rugby league account and former director Michael Hedwan. Plain and simple, it’s typical Lebanese people and ego. Everyone wants to be kingpin. Standard stuff. Ego and political agenda.

Burns

First Grade
I have started a little debate on Twitter with the official Lebanese rugby league account and former director Michael Hedwan. Plain and simple, it’s typical Lebanese people and ego. Everyone wants to be kingpin. Standard stuff. Ego and political agenda.
Link?

adamkungl

Immortal
http://lebanonrl.com/News/65705458487

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has charged 17 persons with misconduct for breaches of its operational rules in relation to events surrounding the 22 June match versus Fiji. Those charged will be asked to appear before a Misconduct Panel and have been suspended with immediate effect from all Lebanese rugby league activity pending the outcome of misconduct proceedings.

The Misconduct Panel will be independent in composition and chaired by an RLIF official to ensure transparency. The 17 charged are:

Adam Douehi,
Toufic El Hajj,
Michel El Tom,
Ahmad Ellaz,
Robbie Farah,
Nick Kassis,
Anthony Layoun,
Michael Lichaa,
Bilal Maarbani,
Tim Mannah,

Josh Mansour,
Abbas Miski,
Mitchel Moses,
James Roumanos,
Chris Saab,
Ali Saad,
George Yazbek

The bolded players all played vs Fiji.
Of the remainder,
Douehi, Mansour, Moses, and Saab obviously well known.
Saad plays for the Bears, Tazbek and El Tom are Lebanese University players, and were named in the extended squad for the game.

The following played or were named in the squad for Fiji game but have NOT been charged by the Lebanese league:
Jayden El-Jalkh,
Allan Lockwood,
Reece Robinson,
Kayne Kalache,
Elie El-Zakhem,
Jacob Kiraz,
Jalal Bazzaz
Amer Ghazzaoui
Khaled Tamer

Burns

First Grade
So, Lebanon is done isn’t it?

They will not be able to field anything close to a team for 2021 WC.

Pommy

Coach
So, Lebanon is done isn’t it?

They will not be able to field anything close to a team for 2021 WC.

It does seem that way. I wonder who the place will go to.
My guess is USA and Cooks both get a spot at the World Cup. Not a bad outcome as I really do think it’s worse off for not having the USA in it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Unless the board itself is found to have committed some major misconduct, I wouldn't expect Lebanon to drop out.

It may be that they put out a squad with no NRL-level heritage players and get pumped by 100 every game. The RLIF aren't gonna drop them out of the World Cup because they might suck though.

adamkungl

Immortal
For those wondering, non-players Mansour, Doueihi, and Moses all were photographed with jerseys covering the logo as part of the protest/boycott, this is likely the reason they have been charged.

Burns

First Grade
Unless the board itself is found to have committed some major misconduct, I wouldn't expect Lebanon to drop out.

It may be that they put out a squad with no NRL-level heritage players and get pumped by 100 every game. The RLIF aren't gonna drop them out of the World Cup because they might suck though.
Hopefully they resolve it soon then?

But also, like, what odds that Lebanon don’t play a Test now until 2021? This will put the heritage players out of step, and they are likely the only reasons the Pacific Test invited them.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hopefully they resolve it soon then?

But also, like, what odds that Lebanon don’t play a Test now until 2021? This will put the heritage players out of step, and they are likely the only reasons the Pacific Test invited them.

If going a year without tests was a major issue in Rugby League the sport would have collapsed complete by now haha

It should be, but it isn't

Pommy

Coach

They might if they find the governing body is a total shit show as alleged.