What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lee Hopkins Interview

PTB

Juniors
I thought some of you may be interested in this interview with former Eel Lee Hopkins. We've been really impressed with every game he's played so far in a London shirt.

As a bit of background, Wigan Warriors tried to poach Lee just days before London played the Warriors.

BroncosWolves0501250.gif

So many of our new look team are playing tremendous football at the moment, but for me, Lee Hopkins has been sensational every time I’ve seen him. So I was very keen to chat to Lee and find out more about him, and we both knew one question in particular was going to be asked…

Tell me about your years in the NRL?
I started off with Penrith as a junior in 1996, and was there until 2002 when I felt it was time to move on. I joined Parramatta, and had 2 very good years there. Even the club was experiencing tough times, the coaches were getting a hard time, the fans’ expectations were frustrated, I felt I played my best football there. It had taken me a little while to believe I could succeed at the highest level, but once I had, I really enjoyed my football there.

How did the move to Super league come about?
The Eels decided they wanted to move in a different direction, and that’s fine, that’s one of the things you have to accept as a professional rugby league player. Brian Smith knows Tony very well, and I’ve always wanted to play over here, so the Broncos were good enough to give me a chance. Some blokes at my age can miss out altogether (Lee is 27!)

At 27, you’re in the prime of your career...
Yes, I think I’ve got a few more good years in me yet.

The 3 home games so far have been fantastic. Our results have surprised a few people.
There’s a team secret we have when playing at home. It will never be revealed to anyone else, but we all know it’s carried us through our home games so far. Tony hates the word “gel”. Gel happens in the first week we met each other. We have a commitment to each other; we enjoy playing for each other. We are happy to play football together.
It is no surprise to us that we are doing so well. It takes a hell of a lot of hard work to do what we’re doing.

And now you’ve raised the bar, and fans’ expectations are rising...
We’re glad we’ve raised expectations. The noise at Griffin Park is fantastic, and we want to have some fun. We know what we want to do, and we know what our own expectations are. We have a lot of confidence.

Why do you think we’ve not yet captured the same form away?
It’s hard to say, there’s a lot of things to work on. At Salford, we let ourselves down badly. We are developing an understanding on what it takes to win away form home. We’ve not tried to rein in our style in any way; we’ve just not done the job we were supposed to do. With the run of away games we’ve got soon, I’m positive we’ll fix that.

Lee, I must ask you about the situation with Wigan...
They did make an approach Tuesday of last week. I had to make a decision by Friday. I had two very sleepless nights thinking about it all. In the end, I decided I wanted to stay with the Broncos. I made a commitment to come down here, and I’ve never walked away from anything I haven’t finished. Having made that commitment I am determined to see it through. It was a personal decision. There’s something about London and the team that is very important to me.

I think it sets a wonderful precedent for the rest of the team...
Everyone’s different, and we respect whatever decision anyone takes, but this was a personal decision for me.

Did it make the match itself a lot spicier for you?
I almost didn’t play as I had hardly slept at all. However Friday night after I’d made the decision, I was able to get a good night’s sleep. Tony said he hadn’t slept well Wednesday night either, and wanted to hear what they had to say. I’d had a chat with David Hughes, and I was really impressed by his passion and commitment.

Lee, on behalf of all the Broncos’ fans, we’re delighted you’re staying with us.

-----
London v Widnes kicks off at 3pm on Sunday March 20 at Griffin Park, Brentford.

Glen

Bench
Is he not signed to a contract with London? How could Wigan poach him a few games in?

PJ Marshal

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
He doesn't look a day over 25 and 260 days

hurri why do you have to get all technical, if you were an actor you would be kurt russell a computer who wore tennis shoes

Suitman

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
Very good to hear that he is doing well over there tho

Lee was and is a goer. Always puts in 100%.
I'd be happy to have him back, especially at the ripe old age of 27. :)

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
PJ Marshal said:
Hurriflatch said:
He doesn't look a day over 25 and 260 days

hurri why do you have to get all technical, if you were an actor you would be kurt russell a computer who wore tennis shoes

What?

Don't worry Hurri,

I can't work him out either. :?
I think when I go to Brisbane I'll just punch him in the nose.
I'll give him an extra one for you if you like. :D

Suity

Latest posts