What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Left Wing

ghostface

Juniors
I tend to agree with Twenty10. Tupou would come with a price tag that won't match his ability. He is a decent footballer but you would end up paying overs.

denis preston

First Grade
I tend to agree with Twenty10. Tupou would come with a price tag that won't match his ability. He is a decent footballer but you would end up paying overs.

Thought he was a potential superstar until I really looked at him.He's slow and takes time to turn ,like Nabuli. He is a one trick pony and his trick is taking attacking high balls.

Still couldn't work out why pick him for NSW and then give him one kick in the in goal in 5 matches !

saintm

Juniors
J Hunt has probably played himself into a new deal for next year.

Runciman should be retained for the shear fact Farrell and Nabuli are rubbish and guys like young Thompson and Dufty are not quite ready hell even Cranston from the Cutters is better value then Farrell and Nabuli.

I have to say why are the Dragons not being mentioned in the Daniel Tupou rumours adding this guy to the backline would be a very smart move.

Why isn't Dufty or Thompson ready? Look at all the other clubs out there blooding their juniors. Why not give them a go they might surprise you! This is why Saints loose kids. They haven't even had a run in Cutters. I wouldn't blame either of them if they jump at a better offer.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Why isn't Dufty or Thompson ready? Look at all the other clubs out there blooding their juniors. Why not give them a go they might surprise you! This is why Saints loose kids. They haven't even had a run in Cutters. I wouldn't blame either of them if they jump at a better offer.

Dufty is only 19 and 79kg
I think he's still eligible for NYC in 2016
Blooding would be exactly what would happen to him if they played him now
Maybe some Cutters next year with a little NRL, maybe.

saintm

Juniors

I agree he Dufty is not big but he is taller than some in grade. Yes he does need to fill out but he has speed and strength for his size. Thompson is the second tallest in the club behind Nabuli and is built really solid. I watch the 20s each week and see them bust a gut without any rewards this year. It must be so frustrating for them to see kids their age getting a go. Take John Olive at Souths - played for Kingsgrove with Thompson Saints didn't want him now he has his opportunities to play first grade at souths. Saints have let plenty of good juniors go and given a chance they have done well else where. I think that could be on the cards again.

saintm

Juniors

I agree Dufty is not big but he is taller than some in grade. Yes he does need to fill out but he has speed and strength for his size. Thompson is the second tallest in the club behind Nabuli and is built really solid. I watch the 20s each week and see them bust a gut without any rewards this year. It must be so frustrating for them to see kids their age getting a go. Take John Olive at Souths - played for Kingsgrove with Thompson Saints didn't want him now he has his opportunities to play first grade at souths. Saints have let plenty of good juniors go and given a chance they have done well else where. I think that could be on the cards again.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I agree Dufty is not big but he is taller than some in grade. Yes he does need to fill out but he has speed and strength for his size. Thompson is the second tallest in the club behind Nabuli and is built really solid. I watch the 20s each week and see them bust a gut without any rewards this year. It must be so frustrating for them to see kids their age getting a go. Take John Olive at Souths - played for Kingsgrove with Thompson Saints didn't want him now he has his opportunities to play first grade at souths. Saints have let plenty of good juniors go and given a chance they have done well else where. I think that could be on the cards again.

I got it the first time :roll::D

kit66

Bench
Nabuli has served us well, I don't think he should have been dropped for Hunt. Hunt played OK as a replacement fb but Nabuli has the skillset for Wing - big and strong, good defender, covers the ground well, great under the high ball in attack and defence and he's a good finisher.

BennyV

Referee
Nabuli has served us well, I don't think he should have been dropped for Hunt. Hunt played OK as a replacement fb but Nabuli has the skillset for Wing - big and strong, good defender, covers the ground well, great under the high ball in attack and defence and he's a good finisher.

Do you even Rugby Leagur?

Nabuli isnt agile enough to be considered a good defender.
Covers the ground ok, not because he is quick (cause he ain't) but because he is tall.
Hardly great under the high ball
Ok finisher, hardly put himself in a position to prove it.

He isnt a footballer. Just a big dude.

The Nick

Bench

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but while Nabuli has been out we've been getting absolutely dominated for field position during our "backs sets" (when the outside backs come in to take hitups to relieve the forwards). The likes of Nightingale, Matiutai, and Hunt struggle to get any decent yardage coming off our own line and as a result we end up kicking from deep in our own half. One thing Nabuli did well was help with yardage when coming off our own line, without him our outside men get dominated. Aitken is probably the only other one capable of denting the line and getting us on the front foot, and even he struggles.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but while Nabuli has been out we've been getting absolutely dominated for field position during our "backs sets" (when the outside backs come in to take hitups to relieve the forwards). The likes of Nightingale, Matiutai, and Hunt struggle to get any decent yardage coming off our own line and as a result we end up kicking from deep in our own half. One thing Nabuli did well was help with yardage when coming off our own line, without him our outside men get dominated. Aitken is probably the only other one capable of denting the line and getting us on the front foot, and even he struggles.

Good point. So we need someone the size of Nabuli with the speed of Hunt.

Gee, we had a few of those in years gone by, but the cupboard looks dry for a few years at least.
I'm watching Isacc Thompson, thought he'd be that guy, but he doesn't really look outstanding in the 20's. But I'm pretty sure he is still only 18/19.

inside_pass

Bench
Lol........ this statement made me laugh!
Nabuli has a go but he isn't a first grader.
He might be big and tall but that doesn't make him a good player.

kit66

Bench
Do you even Rugby Leagur?

Nabuli isnt agile enough to be considered a good defender.
Covers the ground ok, not because he is quick (cause he ain't) but because he is tall.

Hardly great under the high ball
Ok finisher, hardly put himself in a position to prove it.

He isnt a footballer. Just a big dude.

Calm down little fella.
Yes I watch and know the game of Rugby League intimately.
Maybe it's you who needs to pay a little more attention and be a little less emotional.

When we won all those games this year Nabuli was on our left wing for all but one when he was out injured and for all the games we've been losing he's played in only one - virtually since he's been out we've been losing.
He did have one unfortunate game against the Dogs but everyone has an off day.

Everyone's all excited about Hunt because of a few good runs / kick returns from fb but that doesn't automatically make him a better option on the wing. He blew a certain try last week and possibly blew a second by not batting back a bomb - choosing to instead catch it when he was obviously going to end up well over the touch line. I thought he was caught out of position a few times at fullback as well - there were tries put on us that a better player (Duges for example ) would have saved. A good prospect no doubt but like I said Nabuli has been doing the job for us, why change at all.

BennyV

Referee
Calm down little fella.
Yes I watch and know the game of Rugby League intimately.
Maybe it's you who needs to pay a little more attention and be a little less emotional.

When we won all those games this year Nabuli was on our left wing for all but one when he was out injured and for all the games we've been losing he's played in only one - virtually since he's been out we've been losing.
He did have one unfortunate game against the Dogs but everyone has an off day.

Everyone's all excited about Hunt because of a few good runs / kick returns from fb but that doesn't automatically make him a better option on the wing. He blew a certain try last week and possibly blew a second by not batting back a bomb - choosing to instead catch it when he was obviously going to end up well over the touch line. I thought he was caught out of position a few times at fullback as well - there were tries put on us that a better player (Duges for example ) would have saved. A good prospect no doubt but like I said Nabuli has been doing the job for us, why change at all.

So you claim to know the game of Rugby League well, and yet draw a link between the loss of a minimally-talented left winger and a string of losses in which our team has been decimated by injury and our halves have been dreadfully out of form.

For the record, I dont think Hunt is the long term answer on the left wing; he is a backup fullback, nothing more. But if Nabuli is considered our long terms option, or even our number 1 backup, then we are in big, big trouble!

Latest posts