What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lEGENDS OF lEAGUE

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A few Australian comp ones, off the top of the noggin since 1908:

Dally Messenger
Frank Burge
Dave Brown
Jack Lindwall
Clive Churchill
Norm Provan
John Raper
Graeme Langlands
Reg Gasnier
Billy Smith
Ron Coote
Bob McCarthy
John Sattler
Bob Fulton
Arthur Beetson
Ted Goodwin
Russell Fairfax
Steve Mortimer
Rod Reddy
Peter Sterling
Brett Kenny
Mal Meninga
Gorden Tallis

I have to stop because I've already realised that I've left out about 100... its a big ask but we'll get there I'm sure. Top idea Kiwi. :)

Ozbash: where do get off claiming Dally Messenger as a bloody Kiwi?
emdgust.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A few Australian comp ones, off the top of the noggin since 1908:

Dally Messenger
Frank Burge
Dave Brown
Jack Lindwall
Clive Churchill
Norm Provan
John Raper
Graeme Langlands
Reg Gasnier
Billy Smith
Ron Coote
Bob McCarthy
John Sattler
Bob Fulton
Arthur Beetson
Ted Goodwin
Russell Fairfax
Steve Mortimer
Rod Reddy
Peter Sterling
Brett Kenny
Mal Meninga
Gorden Tallis

I have to stop because I've already realised that I've left out about 100... its a big ask but we'll get there I'm sure. Top idea Kiwi. :)

Ozbash: where do get off claiming Dally Messenger as a bloody Kiwi?
emdgust.gif

K

Kiwi

Now if you had only grouped them into the appropriate catergories in terms of the years they played :p.

K

Kiwi

Now if you had only grouped them into the appropriate catergories in terms of the years they played :p.

O

ozbash

willow, dally was a key member of the 1907/08 all golds that toured oz and dished out a couple of hidings for you lot.

you lot are very quick to claim good kiwi players :mad:

O

ozbash

willow, dally was a key member of the 1907/08 all golds that toured oz and dished out a couple of hidings for you lot.

you lot are very quick to claim good kiwi players :mad:

S

SpaceMonkey

Kiwis 1981-2002
Mark Graham,Kevin Tamati, Hugh McGahan, Gary Freeman, Tawera Nikau, Vai'iga Tuigamala, Henry Paul, Brent Todd, Jarrod McCracken, Olsen Filipaina, Darryl Halligan
note: I am assuming Henry Paul will qualify as he has gone to union.

S

SpaceMonkey

Kiwis 1981-2002
Mark Graham,Kevin Tamati, Hugh McGahan, Gary Freeman, Tawera Nikau, Vai'iga Tuigamala, Henry Paul, Brent Todd, Jarrod McCracken, Olsen Filipaina, Darryl Halligan
note: I am assuming Henry Paul will qualify as he has gone to union.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ozbash: Dally Messenger played AGAINST the All Golds in Sydney. The Kiwis were so impressed with him that they invited him to tour with them to the UK, which he did.

He was born and bred in the Sydney Eastern suburbs (around Rushcutters Bay I think) when it was a working class area.... he's family were well known boat builders. He was lured away from RU to played Rugby League but only after his mum's approval.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ozbash: Dally Messenger played AGAINST the All Golds in Sydney. The Kiwis were so impressed with him that they invited him to tour with them to the UK, which he did.

He was born and bred in the Sydney Eastern suburbs (around Rushcutters Bay I think) when it was a working class area.... he's family were well known boat builders. He was lured away from RU to played Rugby League but only after his mum's approval.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Players fromGreat Britain1951 - 1980:

Lewis Jones, Billy Boston, Alan Prescott, Mick Sullivan, Alex Murphy, Vince Karalius, Neil Fox, Roger Millward, Mal Reilly, Colin Dixon, David Watkins, Clive Sullivan.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Players fromGreat Britain1951 - 1980:

Lewis Jones, Billy Boston, Alan Prescott, Mick Sullivan, Alex Murphy, Vince Karalius, Neil Fox, Roger Millward, Mal Reilly, Colin Dixon, David Watkins, Clive Sullivan.

O

ozbash

willow,willow,willow. take a quick squiz at the photo below,pay close attention to the silver fern on dallys shirt. he played for the all golds-new zealand !

source-"from all blacks to all golds"
rugby leagues pioneers.

O

ozbash

willow,willow,willow. take a quick squiz at the photo below,pay close attention to the silver fern on dallys shirt. he played for the all golds-new zealand !

source-"from all blacks to all golds"
rugby leagues pioneers.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Great Britain 1980 - 2002:

Des Drummond, Tony Myler, Ellery Hanley, Gary Schofield, Andy Gregory, Joe Lydon, Kevin Ward, Lee Crooks, Andy Platt, Jonathan Davies, Shaun Edwards, Martin Offiah, Gary Connolly, Kris Radlinski, Keiron Cunningham, Paul Sculthorpe.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Great Britain 1980 - 2002:

Des Drummond, Tony Myler, Ellery Hanley, Gary Schofield, Andy Gregory, Joe Lydon, Kevin Ward, Lee Crooks, Andy Platt, Jonathan Davies, Shaun Edwards, Martin Offiah, Gary Connolly, Kris Radlinski, Keiron Cunningham, Paul Sculthorpe.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fair dinkum Tony, you're a shit stirrer sometimes.

Dally Messenger was born in Sydney and played in Sydney.
He played against the 'All Golds' in Sydney.
He played for NSW and Australia.

He played with the 'All Golds' on a tour of the UK, hence the picture with the fig leaf.
Hows does that make him a Kiwi?

Perhaps a different language is needed here...

Next thing you'll be telling us is that Pharlap was a New Zealander. ;)

K

Kiwi

This has been such a fantastic response in such a short space of time.

Please note though people that the player MUST be RETIRED to make the Legends of League section.