What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LEIGH CENTURIONS OFFICIAL 2005 THREAD

Wire_Godfather

Juniors
surely there could be some sort of "pre contract" agreed. Where a player agres to play for the team ONLY if they get promoted then if not they homour any other "pre contracts" they may have made with super league clubs

Perhaps that could be an option.

FredParky

Juniors
But would YOU sign one? bear in mind you could 'miss the boat' on a contract with an established SL club. Just look at this scenario forgetting all club loyalty, Its August 2004 you have the option of signing a SL pre-contract with Leigh or signing a contract with an established club that are in no danger of relegation this year, What do you do? the pay will be the same. No contest is it?
Ask the Waky board why they did well last year, they will tell you that because in 2003 Halifax were 'doomed' since virtually mid season they could go out and 'set their stall out' for better players.
I hope your tream never have to find themselves in the same situation, its OK talking about it but in reality these players have to feed themselves pay mortages etc.

FredParky

Juniors
No thats what I mean we knew the rules and whilst we might not like them we have to/will abide by them, its just a tad unfair when 'new' entrants have two years to prepare for their entry with a grace period after that, I only hope the wheels dont come off the effort in France but fear the worst.

In-goal

Bench
I think the French will hold there own, won't be top 6 first season but not far away at the same time.

It will be easier to atract big name Aussies to the South of France then it would to the North of England.

FredParky

Juniors
As promised leigh Centurions squad as at 13.12.04
Coaches:
Head Coach - Darren Abram
Assistant Coach - Tommy Martyn

Players:
Craig Stapleton - Paramatta Eels.
Kevin Henderson - Newcastle Knights.
Steve McCurrie - Widnes.
Steve Maden - Leigh. (ex StHelens)
Paul Rowley - Leigh. (ex Halifax, Huddersfield)
Danny Halliwell - Leigh. (ex Halifax)
Rob Jackson - London Broncos.
James King - Barrow.
Neil Turley - Leigh.
Darren Fleary - Huddersfield Giants.
Chris Percival - Leigh (ex Widnes)
John Duffy - Leigh (ex Warrington, Salford)
Matt Sturm - Leigh (ex Warrington)
Rob Smyth - Leigh (ex Warrington)
Ian Knott - Leigh (ex Warrington, Wakefield)
Jason Ferris - ?
Marc Leafa - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Mick Govin - Leigh
Oli wilkes - Leigh (ex Bradford, Keighley) - no SL experience
Phil Jones - Leigh (ex Wigan)
Ben Cooper - Huddersfield
Richard Marshall - Leigh (ex London Broncos)
Jason Kent - Cronulla
Owen - Warrington
John Wilshire - Warrington

raidersfan

Juniors
What do you think the top 17 will be on game day? the reason I ask is because I want to add them into my NRL game.

FredParky

Juniors
hard to call that one as some I have not seen but here goes.
1 Turley
2 Wilshire
3 Halliwell
4 Henderson
5 Percival
6 Kent
7 Ferris
8 Stapleton
9 Rowley
10 Fleary
11 Leafa
12 Wilkes
13 Knott

14 Jackson
15 Marshall
16 Sturm
17 Cooper

but 'speak' to another 100 fans and they will give you 100 different teams :D

popman

Juniors
Leigh centurions have today unveiled a major five figure sponsorship deal with Emirates airline which will see them positioned on the clubs first super league shirt and emblazoned on the clubs new tunnel.

Executive director Derek Beaumont commented “ This is an absolutely fantastic achievement by the club to attract such a major sponsor for its inaugural year in super league and is further testament to the clubs ambitions of becoming a permanent fixture in super league. I am thrilled to have such a prolific brand associated with the club and overwhelmed that the centurions brand has been chosen to introduce Emirates into rugby league. Previously Emirates have majored in football as the major shirt sponsor to Chelsea and stadium sponsor to arsenal so it gives me great pleasure to see the centurions placed on that pedestal. I am sure we will generate maximum exposure for emirates to further enhance their strong brand name and I hope to build on this relationship for the future. This to my mind is the biggest brand name associated with super league and is a great benchmark upon which we aim to set standards across super league both on and off the field

popman

Juniors
LEIGH's SUPERLEAGUE 10 SHIRT

Finalone.gif

popman

Juniors
Leigh Centurions play their 1st ever SL game at Hilton Park (aka The Coliseum) versus the Huddersfield Giants this saturday (12th Feb) evening. Club starlet Neil Turley gives this interview regarding this momentous occassion for the Leythers.

Leigh star Neil Turley insists his side are more than capable of proving the doubters wrong and becoming a competitive force in this year's Engage Super League.

The Centurions have been written off by almost everyone in the game before a ball has even been kicked as they attempt to bridge the gap between the National League and the Super League.

But the Wigan-born full-back believes this will only act as motivation for him and his team-mates.

"We take a lot of motivation from being written off," Turley said. "We think that we are going to stay up.

"The bookies have made us odds-on favourites to go down, and the press and the media have their opinions as well, but that is no problem. We get motivated from that sort of stuff."

First up for the Centurions this weekend are the Huddersfield Giants, who have proved over the past couple of years that it is possible for a side to gain promotion and compete alongside the big boys in the top flight.

Turley remains convinced his side have got what it takes to follow in their footsteps and become a successful club.

He said: "I think we can take heart from what Huddersfield have done and Salford as well - hopefully we can do what they have done over the last couple of years and stay up.

"There is a good feeling in the camp at the moment and we really think we can beat Huddersfield. We have knuckled down in training for a couple of months now and we are ready for Super League.

"It is a fantastic feeling to be here in Super League at last, and hopefully we can stay up this year and see what happens from there."

Leigh coach Darren Abram has been busy in the close season strengthening his squad for the big time. It has seen 13 new players arrive at the club.

Turley has no doubts they can gel quickly into a strong unit and hit the ground running - starting on Saturday at the Coliseum.

"We have recruited quite well this year," he added. "We have got a lot of Aussies over and we have got some Super League experience in Steve McCurrie and Darren Fleary, so I think we will go well.

"We knitted as a team the first time we met each other and obviously we have got to knit early on this Saturday, but if we can get a couple of wins from the first few matches we can kick on from there in terms of confidence.

"There is definitely a real belief we can stay up - if there wasn't a belief, I don't think there would be any point going out on the park."