What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Len Killeen

Das Hassler

Bench
Sad news that one of the Tigers greats Len Killeen has died at 72. Still the greatest goalkicker i've ever seen...even though Eric Simms in the day could kick them as well he placed the ball in the laydown positon and had a 4 or 5 step runup, whereas Killeen would stand it straight up..take 2 steps back and bang them through from halfway and beyond ...and that was quite often as tries were worth only 3 points in those days and a goal 2. Best one i ever saw was right on halftime against Easts in 1969 at the Sports Ground (for the youngin's where the SFS is now but only east / west)...he banged a penalty over from about 5 metres inside the Tigers half and over near the right touchline. Killeen wasn't the fastest winger around..(though we did have the fastest winger of that season on the other wing ..Paul Cross) .. he was reliable and a good finisher and that left boot was a big factor in securing the premiership that year for the Tigers. I also still remember at the '69 GF the handstand he did in celebration as the fulltime hooter sounded ...It was what dreams and inspiration were made of for a 14 year old and Len Killeen and the rest of that team were as close to heroes at that age as i could ever imagine
RIP Len Killeen and thanks for the memories

(edit/add)...BTW, Paul Cross didn't play in the GF as he was dropped for George Ruebner and as everyone knows Artie was suspended for 2 games for belting a Bunny in the semi final loss

Last edited:

Cagey Mac

Bench
So sorry to hear this, he was a fine player.
I have personal memories of being a kid playing our home union games on Leichhardt Oval and a few of us giving the great man a gobful of rubbish as he was practicing his goal kicking.
Whatever we said must have got to him because he chased about six of us from about 80 yards back and almost caught us too.
Amid the nervous laughter later, we all commented that we couldn't believe anyone could run that fast
Rest in Peace Len,
Thank you for the memories

fred95

Juniors
L remember the name and reputation of Len Killeen, a great fullback and a goal kicking kicking supremo. Sorry to hear of his passing. If my memory is correct I think he was a Welshman

TT - yes he was from South African.

Remember many games at Leichhardt and like the old Sydney Sports Ground, it too use to run east/west, kicking into the sun and he made it look so simple.

I found this:
St Helens legend Len Killeen has died in his native South Africa at the age of 72, the Australian club Wests Tigers have announced.

Born in Uitenhage near Port Elizabeth, Killeen spent five seasons with Balmain Tigers and was a member of their Grand Final-winning team in 1969, but is best remembered for his earlier spell with St Helens.

Spotted by a St Helens scout, he moved to England in 1962 at the age of 23 and scored 1,161 points from 115 tries and 408 goals for Saints before joining Balmain in 1967 for a £4,500 transfer fee.

The highlight of his stay in England came in 1966 when he scored a try, kicked five goals from five attempts - including a 65-metre penalty - and won the Lance Todd Trophy as man of the match in Saints' 21-2 Challenge Cup final win over Wigan at Wembley.

A week later Killeen scored three tries and six goals in Saints' 35-12 win over Halifax in the League Championship Final.

Killeen, who returned to live in South Africa when he retired, was inducted into the Hall of Fame at both St Helens and Balmain.

Also an accomplished cricketer who represented his country at basketball, he is survived by his wife Cathy and his two sons, Michael and Heath.

A St Helens spokesman said: "Saints would like to pass on their sympathies to the family and friends of Len."

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I was too young to see him play, but saddened to hear of the passing of a Tigers legend.
Kicked a 65 metre penalty goal!!

Das Hassler

Bench
I was too young to see him play, but saddened to hear of the passing of a Tigers legend.
Kicked a 65 metre penalty goal!!

And for a few years there the Tigers had Killeen and Keith Barnes in the same side...talk about spoiled for choice for a goalkicker!

Latest posts