What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk about the Eels.

BDH

Juniors
A "Rabbitoh" is one who sells rabbit meat. Considering the reason for the colours of red and green and the history of the people who founded the club, the name is quite fitting.

lol. Seeing as how I'm a Broncos fan, I'm sure all the "traditionalist" Sydney fans (who want the NRL to remain in 1985) would have already known that.

donkeywong

Juniors
Parramatta. I don’t know why I hate you so much. Maybe it’s because I have a mate who is a fan and a total (lovable) merkin at the same time. Plus the whole Hayne hysteria thing in the media and Parra’s worthless bandwagon fans… not his fault I know but he is certainly a lazy, arrogant show pony who objects to being tackled every time.

What IS his fault is being a lazy, arrogant show pony who objects to being tackled every time. He either starts throwing surreptitious elbows that eventually result in penalties for Parra (good gamesmanship or poor sportsmanship + sh*t refereeing? Let’s examine the 2010 refereeing record and decide…) or he rises slowly from the turf, glaring at every player around him, shaking his empty head and dreaming of his inevitable AFL payday when he’ll surely never have to deal with being put on the turf again and can run around with his stupid arms out in a sleeveless vest after getting awarded a point for missing.

How wonderful it is to see the Parramatta season come to a sickening halt like a plane of some description (he went to stick his stupid arms out AGAIN tonight but thought better of it) ploughing into a mountain. How satisfying to see every Parra knock-on, forward pass, botched offload, etc. What gives Parra’s fans the right to be disappointed now that 2010 is apparently all over? What has their club actually done this season? Every time Parra gets a win or two the media falls over itself to huff the club’s wang and be seen to be doing it. This seems to translate to genuinely held belief that this (still) post-Sterling club can actually achieve something worthwhile any time soon… I mean it’s just sad. At least both of the Sharks’ fans have accepted their lot and are content to turn up for form’s sake.

When Parra leaks over eighty (80) points in two (2) games at the pointy end of the season against actual premiership contenders, where are the column inches and loud, breathless diatribes in the media? We’ll see if the rugby league pundits snap out of their collective Hayne-induced hypnosis and f**king tell it like it f**king is for once – Parra are a sh*t team of lazy merkins who don’t want to be there, who obviously care nothing for their fans, have recruited absolute dross in key positions while jettisoning their best home-grown talent, who have milked said media hype for all it’s worth (a lot) and convinced themselves said hype equals premiership credentials, who’ve relied too long on a single, flashy, grubby, diving gobsh*te (I hope the Hayne Complain moniker sticks from now on – good job Mr Badger) to make the rest of them look decent once in a while and who have continually let down the single good, honourable player they have been oh so lucky to have who, in his long career of consistent football could have won a premiership at just about any other club…

I realise I am sticking my neck out seeing as Parra could fluke a win against my team next week, setting off the whole Parra-as-premiers orgiastic media frenzy once more, but I just gotta say f**k you Parramatta you bunch of shallow, whiny, one trick ponies. The only thing I like more than seeing Parra lose is seeing Brisbane win, and if the world does indeed operate on a system of logical laws, I’ll get to see both at the same time in less than seven days.

_Johnsy

Referee
A "Rabbitoh" is one who sells rabbit meat. Considering the reason for the colours of red and green and the history of the people who founded the club, the name is quite fitting.

lol. Seeing as how I'm a Broncos fan, I'm sure all the "traditionalist" Sydney fans (who want the NRL to remain in 1985) would have already known that.

It appears that Souths may have "borrowed/stole" the colours. Below is from wikipedia (very very reliable source:sarcasm:)
Prior to the establishment of the rugby league club in 1908, the South Sydney rugby union team originally wore a red and green hooped jersey. Some sources have suggested that this combination of colours was due to the local rugby union club being nicknamed the "Redfern Waratahs". The first British inhabitants had often called the waratah a "red fern" instead, hence giving the suburb its name, and ultimately the local rugby club its emblem. Red and green dominate the colours of the waratah and hence, possibly, the South Sydney Rugby League Football Club adopted these colours for their jerseys

On the topic of mascots, I have always wondered, how does the Bronco represent Brisbane ?

Last edited:

SRB_SEA_EAGLE

Juniors
Ahhh the dragqueens...theyve covered all bases...theyve got a knight , sitting on a bronco , slaying a dragon....? Just call them the Former Yugoslav Republic of Illawarra....

_Johnsy

Referee
YOU'VE GOT US THERE!!1

Shouldn't St George be the Dragon Slayers?

It's not about getting you or Brisbane (us). I see the massive chip is alive and well. It was a A simple question.

We once were the dragon slayers.
http://www.rl1908.com/

Early on the club was called the "Saints" or the "Dragon Slayers" before, rather ironically, becoming St. George's adversary - the "dragon" itself.

_Johnsy

Referee
A Bronco, is a term used in the USA, Northern Mexico & Canada to refer to an untrained horse.

It's a natural for for a franchise based in brisbane.

gUt

Coach
No arguement from me there, it's an arbitrary name. You could have asked the question about the Titans, Raiders, Tigers, Panthers etc but you chose Brisbane. I see the chip is alive and well.

I think the Dragon Slayers is better than Dragons.

_Johnsy

Referee
No arguement from me there, it's an arbitrary name. You could have asked the question about the Titans, Raiders, Tigers, Panthers etc but you chose Brisbane. I see the chip is alive and well.

I think the Dragon Slayers is better than Dragons.

No chip here, you are a Brisbane supporter, I thought you may have had some idea why they chose Bronco.

Panthers is because of a "Mountain Panther" that is reported to have been seen at the foot of the mountains for may years (as far as I know). I am sure someone from penrith would know.

Raiders, not 100% sure. But I do know there are several references to vikings in Canberra (subusrb names, streets etc) this reference has always been a part of Canberra, since the cities inception. However the colours: http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/Canberra-Raiders.htm
(The first Canberra jersey design was the result of a public competition. The blue and gold coloured piping was a continuation of the ACT representative jerseys, while the predominant green along with the white is recognised as the colours of the Hall club, which was the first Rugby League team in the district.)

Tigers (http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/Balmain-Tigers.htm)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Balmain RL club continued the use of the RU club's black and gold colours. The origins of the distinctive colour combination is unknown. Theories have it that the colours are reflective of the blackwattle plants indigenous to the local Blackwattle Bay. It is also claimed that Balmain sporting identity Bill Beach wore a black and gold jumper while defending his world rowing title in England in the late 19th century. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The rugby league club's horizontally striped jersey led to the team being called the ‘Tigers', but they were also known as ‘The Watersiders' - after the club's first home ground Birchgrove Oval located adjacent to the Harbour.[/FONT]​

Ttans, well that is nothing short of a disgrace, again a natural fit for a franchise.​

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
a raider is someone who raids. i think the canberra vikings would have been more accurate based upon the logo. raiders can be pretty much anything. pirates are raiders.

a titan is a piece of greek mythology. the leader of the group castrated his father and ate his sons which is a pretty good analogy for such a scummy club as the gold coast.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I believe that the term Raiders was put upon the Canberra side as they were the first non-sydney, non-NSW side to enter the comp. They were "raiders" as it were in the competition.

_Johnsy

Referee
a raider is someone who raids. i think the canberra vikings would have been more accurate based upon the logo. raiders can be pretty much anything. pirates are raiders.

a titan is a piece of greek mythology. the leader of the group castrated his father and ate his sons which is a pretty good analogy for such a scummy club as the gold coast.

They had a competition on the coast to find a mascot. i considered submitting a griffin/gryphon/griffon (not relevant to the GC) however I thought it was a perfect fit for one simple reason: Brisbane V GC. I read somewhere that a griffin is meant to eat other small animals, and sometimes eats horses.

gUt

Coach
People this is all very nice but can we please get back to hating on the Eels and their scummy bandwagon fans. :p

eelandia

Juniors
Some of you really need to get a life. To hate a football team with such passion = unstable mental health. Go and see a doctor and get real. Or alternatively, do other things in your meaningless lives that doesn't involve 'watching' countless hours of football and you may realise that hating Parramatta or any team isn't as important as you thought.

I apologise for my statements if you are all under 12 yrs of age, as this behaviour could then be blamed on immaturity or raging hormones.

PS - is there anywhere I can go in LeagueUnlimited that has restrictions on minors posting?