What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LEWIS -- a SOO BLUE for life -- so says Phil Gould

mightypanther

Juniors

Lewis earns special praise from Gould
2 June 2004
Source: www.nrl.com.au
http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=8841

Luke_Lewis_SOO_04.jpg

Six months after the darkest day of his career, rising Penrith star Luke Lewis came in for special praise from NSW State of Origin coach Phil Gould today.

Lewis was left a shattered young man after being controversially overlooked for the third Test of Australia's tour of Great Britain last November.

Then Australian coach Chris Anderson opted to draft 34-year-old Darren Smith, a retired international, into his 17-man Kangaroos line-up rather than blood rookie tourist Luke Lewis.

Anderson's decision rocked Lewis. But his non-selection in the Test team must now feel a world away.

The 21-year-old's brilliant debut in the Blues' 9-8 win in the series opener last Wednesday night had Gould today labelling Lewis an Origin player for virtual life.

"Luke Lewis, I've had my finger on him for a long time," Gould said.

"I've seen him as a kid play. We put him our development squad last year as part of the 33-man squad.

"Twelve months down the track, he was given his chance in Origin and I said to him before the game, `some kids never go back, they prove it in game one'. And I don't think that kid will ever go back (to being merely a first grade player).

"I think he'll be an Origin player for a long time."

Gould pinpointed Lewis, fellow Penrith winger Luke Rooney and St George Illawarra fullback Ben Hornby - who were all debuting for NSW - as the standouts in Origin I.

"The back three, there's no place to hide for them," the Blues coach said.

"We don't counter for fullbacks and wingers to get hurt and we need them to play the full 80 minutes.

"Our three boys at the back were youngsters and they were rookies and every one of them, I guess, in some people's eyes was a bit of a shock selection.

"But I thought under pressure, particularly on a wet night like that, they were outstanding."

SP

Bench
this is probably the only thing i have agreed with what goose has said :clap:

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah Gould has always been a fan of Lewis. He was in the preliminary up and comers Origin squad for a while and then made a great debut.

choc_soldier

Coach
Wow, the Goose says something that I have known since he made his debut in 2001.

This kid has the goods, and will be a superstar.

Big Artie

Juniors
gould got a premiership right once, 91 If I remember what short memories some panthers fans have, but most of you,s would not have been born or in nappies I would say wake up :?:

*Sandy*

First Grade
Big Artie missed most of 91. He was to inebriated to watch or play footy! :lol:

SP

Bench
are you jealous that you didnt have a bouncenet when you were a baby because there wasnt one big enough for you

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
Big Artie said:
panthers_gurl said:
and i also followed rugby league back then too!!!!
a matter of fact i was watching the game
watching from ur bouncenet, ah, still in ur nappies. :idea:

man if i was in nappies i would of been in trouble but i guess when you were 5 we were in a bouncenet so you gather it is "normal"to be in one according to you :lol:

Big Artie

Juniors
Lewis said:
are you jealous that you didnt have a bouncenet when you were a baby because there wasnt one big enough for you
sorry people I walked from birth I was soooo tuff :lol:

Latest posts