What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life after Lockyer!

Kaiden

Juniors
I know it is 1 2/3 years since he retired, but are we now seeing how much of a loss he actually was? His leadership on and off the field, the attacking options he possessed and his ability to make everyone listen to him. He was the makings of the perfect player and is why we were successful for so long. I think now, since we haven't got that 'one man' or that 'one superstar' our leadership is not good and is the reason why we aren't doing so well. What do you guys think? Is it only now we are feeling the effects of no Lockyer? or was it after the Origin Period in 2012?

Jason Simmons

Juniors
We're feeling the effects of having a dud squad, a dud coach and a Management group focussed on making the Broncos a successful business, rather than a successful football team.

Locky was an all-time great. We're not feeling his loss. Every player retires no matter how great.

We're feeling a loss because we've failed to move our club on from him in reality, no matter what has been said publicly...

We needed to buy or develop a new halves combo. So far we've failed to credibly do either.

Kaiden

Juniors
Yeh, I noticed that at the start of this year with the whole membership drive! We focused more on the business side of things rather than the football/pre season training side of things.
I've really only been following the Broncos since 2004 since I am only 16! What did the Broncos do in the past to improve a 'terrible team' If you know?

Chainshada

Juniors
A couple of weeks ago, on one of the NRL shows..they have the same people on each one so who really knows which? Gordon Tallis was talking about how about being in a Broncos team that had the worst losing streak of any Broncos team before them..He said they tried everything from training harder, to training less, to team bonding like go-karting and paintball..but in the end they just had enough and didn't want to be the worst Broncos team in history and used their pride to fuel a new record winning streak for their club.

At the moment..I just think Griffin is too focused on structure..Last year Gus commented that if you look at the Broncos team accross the park..they all had a similar build, they all physically looked the same..THAT is our problem. We don't have speed when we need speed, we don't have size when we need size.

Kaiden

Juniors
I also think the current group of guys don't have that pride... they don't WANT to play for their coach its like they don't want to win (although they showed glimpses in the attempted comeback tonight)! I also agree, we lack an 'anomaly' player.. one that possesses speed and strength to bend the line and start the go forward. Our defence has also been shocking in the past three games! Backing up eachother is also a problem... Wallace and Norman both made a clean break but had no one to pass it to in support!

Dazzat

First Grade
There's probably a lot of things that are currently going wrong, but recruitment is the issue for me - an over-reliance on players coming through from under 20s, and an inability to attract any top line recruits from Sydney clubs.

I agree with the assessment by Phil Gould (did I say that) - we have the smallest forward pack in the competition, and possibly the slowest backs, and definitely the slowest halves.

unbreaK

Juniors
I'm just hoping we lose every game this season, I think that's the only way we're going to get results in relation to sacking Griffin and recruiting talent.

If we manage 6/12 wins the mentality will be "Not a bad effort for a young squad, it's a rebuilding process, we've got the talent we need to win a premiership"

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm just hoping we lose every game this season, I think that's the only way we're going to get results in relation to sacking Griffin and recruiting talent.

If we manage 6/12 wins the mentality will be "Not a bad effort for a young squad, it's a rebuilding process, we've got the talent we need to win a premiership"

Who do we replace him with? Walters?

unbreaK

Juniors
Who do we replace him with? Walters?

He's certainly an option, close to the best at the moment, he's had a lot of experience playing and coaching the game.

(Plus he LOVES the Broncos, and will never let them get this bad if he's in charge)

Kaiden

Juniors
We MUST have a decent amount of money under the cap, SURELY! Why won;t we go after the big guys, Thurston, Widdop, Cam smith (he is still probable) Folau etc... We need a new recruitment team and coach (much like what the Eels have done in recent weeks/months)

Big Pete

Referee
Walters was terrible when he was Les Catalans coach.

I really don't see much in him, other than being a club legend.

Ghoulies

Bench
If there's one thing Stephen Kearney has taught us, it's that being an assistant coach at the Storm is no guarantee that you'll end up being a successful first grade coach. Mark me down as against the appointment of Walters.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If Hook gets hooked, I'd be worried that Kearney is his replacement.

my biggest fear.....

Dazzat has hit development on the head. the 20's comp doesnt produce enough good talent for first grade, not for a few years anyway when they learn how to tackle.

the other issue i have is we seem to be bringing through a lot of "safe" players, rather than ones who can provide something a bit different.

Diesel

Referee
Surely management arent that dumb. Kearney needs to prove himself at QLD or NSW Cup to be coach again based on what I have seen of your defence this year

TheMightyBroncs

Juniors
Walters was terrible when he was Les Catalans coach.

I really don't see much in him, other than being a club legend.

Kevvie took a bunch of nevilles and got them within 1 game of the grand final one year he was over there...

He has been down at the storm working under Bellamy for 4 years and runs all the attacking plays while craig handles defence...

The tigers should have picked him up instead of potter, very bad move, if the cowboys dont swoop on him, the broncs should consider if griffin is moved on.

Club legend with a lot of passion for this club and he is not the same green coach he was 7 or 8 years ago.

He should not be dismissed so easily....he can bring some melbourne guys with him too if he likes.

Big Pete

Referee
A bunch of nevilles? The Catalans were 3rd the year before and gained the likes of Greg Bird, Steve Bell and Jason Ryles. They finished with a wet sail that season, hardly the stuff of legend.

The next year they won the wooden spoon.

TheMightyBroncs

Juniors
A bunch of nevilles? The Catalans were 3rd the year before and gained the likes of Greg Bird, Steve Bell and Jason Ryles. They finished with a wet sail that season, hardly the stuff of legend.

The next year they won the wooden spoon.

Over the season, he got a little more out of the nevilles that were around some of the establised players, thats what I was getting at.

Do you think he hasn't learnt a thing or two over the last 4 years under bellamy, I think when he does get an NRL gig he will surprise some people.

And don't bring up any comparisons with Steve Kearney with the melb link, totally different players, coaches and football minds.

Who would you go for if you were looking to replace a henry or griffin?

Latest posts