What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lilyman injured in trial

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just posted on the Warriors FB page:

"The Vodafone Warriors' trial win over the Titans has come at a cost. Coach Brian McClennan confirmed afterwards that Jacob Lillyman is going to be sidelined. He said there would be more detail in the next day or two but he told the media "it doesn't look good for Jake. He's going to miss some games". He lasted only 10 minutes before coming off with an arm injury."

Sounds ominous, hopefully it's not too serious.

One Warrior

Bench
Not good, however we are still a month from the start of the season proper, which if it is a break will chew up roughly half the recovery time, hopefully it is not more serious than this.

ozbash

Referee
torn bicep, I think. Didnt look good.

was a couple of wicked games, NRL team looked fantastic for most of the game, 3rd quarter Bluey let the young guys have a shot and the drop in intencity was noticeable.

Louie Brown played 2nd row, hooker and center, my mom
Sam and Steve Rapira were f**king brutal on attack and defence.
Shaun Johnson was great at organising, setting up and his defence was great.

other standouts, Matulino, Inu, Benry, Hurrell, Fish, Godinet, Mateo and ET.

I would put my house on the Juniors to get up for the 3peat. The talent on display was incredible, they are fast, huge and heen as. Ackers will have a smile on his face at the year aheads potential.

Otahuhu Leopards 28 - Jnr Warriors 28

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
torn bicep, I think. Didnt look good.

was a couple of wicked games, NRL team looked fantastic for most of the game, 3rd quarter Bluey let the young guys have a shot and the drop in intencity was noticeable.

Louie Brown played 2nd row, hooker and center, my mom
Sam and Steve Rapira were f**king brutal on attack and defence.
Shaun Johnson was great at organising, setting up and his defence was great.

other standouts, Matulino, Inu, Benry, Hurrell, Fish, Godinet, Mateo and ET.

I would put my house on the Juniors to get up for the 3peat. The talent on display was incredible, they are fast, huge and heen as. Ackers will have a smile on his face at the year aheads potential.

Otahuhu Leopards 28 - Jnr Warriors 28

Yeah the 3rd quarter was most interesting.

Yeah but when they put the 20 graduates on the team lacked structure.
But Hurrell played well on the wing and got plenty of time.

Taukieaho played wing but was strong on attack.
Lousi needs match fitness waited on the wing and still looked tired.
Ben Henry plays tought footy
Carlos looked reasonably confortable.

godinet look alright at halfback.

Penehe is lucky to have a contract imo.
Just doesnt look quite fit or quick enough atm.

As for Juniors they came up against a quality otahuhu side imo.
lol Otahuhu would have used like 30 players in 80 mins too.

The wingers were sharp.
Lolohea is fast as they get - shaky on D but cant teach pure speed.

The two hookers were good as was Eko Malu - who played halfback.
Also Hiku - the fullback who moved in 6 was sharp.

devoid

Juniors
That first half -- wowsers. Anyone doubting the purchase of Friend wont be doubting for long. So many standouts. Steve Rapira was brutal in defense -- cut Myles in half. Inu and Hurrell were impressive. But SJ and Friend... I can't wait to see what they do with Locke. Our spine will be hard to stop.

Rich102

Staff member
An injury to frontline prop Jacob Lillyman has tempered satisfaction about the Vodafone Warriors' 26-10 NRL trial win against Gold Coast at North Harbour today.
The State of Origin forward lasted only 10 minutes before going to the sideline with an arm injury.
Head coach Brian McClennan confirmed afterwards that the tough North Queenslander faced some time out of action.
"Unfortunately it doesn't look good for Bull (Lillyman)," he said.
"He's going to be missing some games."
McClennan said more details about the extent of the injury would be confirmed in the next day or two.
Facing the prospect of being without Lillyman for a period will leave Sam Rapira, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer carrying the workload with McClennan looking for another player to fill the fourth front rower's duties.
While news of Lillyman's injury was a blot on the day it didn't completely detract from a display that provided plenty of encouragement for first-year coach McClennan and the team.

In the first half the Vodafone Warriors were highly impressive much of the time with new hooker Nathan Friend fitting in well and declaring himself thrilled after coming through his first hit-ut since the shoulder operation that ended his season early with the Titans in 2011.
He played the first 40 minutes only as did captain Simon Mannering and halfback Shaun Johnson. Johnson was outstanding with his involvement in each of the Vodafone Warriors' first three tries.
He threw a sweet long ball wide to the left for an unmarked Konrad Hurrell to score in his first NRL trial and he also provided a critical link in Lewis Brown's try.
But the gem was his own touchdown in the opening moments of the second quarter when he dummied through the line and burnt the cover with his pace.
When fullback Glem Fisiiahi went 80 metres after picking up a loose ball just a few minutes later, the Vodafone Warriors were in command at 20-6.
The tempo changed after halftime, though, when McClennan made numerous changes, giving a lot of the younger players some time on the field.
During that third quarter the Titans grabbed the only try but, with James Maloney back as an organiser in the last quarter, order was restored to a degree.
The result was put beyond doubt when another loose Gold Coast pass was seized on, this time by left winger Bill Tupou who had also had an 80-metre run for his try.
McClennan later said it was pleasing all 25 players had been given some time on the field and he was especially encouraged the younger squad members had been given a taste of the NRL environment.
Thriving in his 80-minute effort was Hurrell who was heavily involved throughout.
Hurrell relished the opportunity.
"I loved it out there. I was having so much fun," he said.
The Vodafone Warriors return to training next week to prepare for their trial against South Sydney in Coffs Harbour next Saturday night.
They travel to Australia next Friday.
Match details:
Vodafone Warriors 26 (Konrad Hurrell, Lewis Brown, Shaun Johnson, Glen Fisiiahi, Bill Tupou tries; James Maloney 3 conversions).
Gold Coast Titans 10 (Joe Vickery, Jamie Dowling tries; Jordan Rankin conversion).
Halftime: 20-6 Vodafone Warriors.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10783510

Rich102

Staff member
Saturday, 4 February, 2012 - 19:48
The Vodafone Junior Warriors scored after the final siren to draw 28-28 with the Otahuhu Leopards in today's NYC trial at North Harbour Stadium in .
With eight minutes to play, the Vodafone Junior Warriors were seemingly well out of it with the Leopards leading 28-14.
A try to halfback Eko Malu - which he converted - closed it up to 20-28. There was the sniff of a chance but the clock was the enemy.
Inside the last two minutes, winger Viliami Lolohea showed off his impressive pace again with his second try of the day to make it 24-28. Now there less than 50 seconds left as the Vodafone Junior Warriors rolled out of their end.
It was down to just a few seconds when they had their last shot with the ball. With a dummy Sione Feao cut through on the right edge, made a long break and dropped off for rugby union convert Ngataua Hukatai to score a brilliant try to lock the score up at 28-28. Hukatai tried to bring the ball around as close as possible to the posts for what could be the match-winning conversion.
Left with the responsibility was centre Braxton Stanley ? but his attempt from about 15 metres to the right of the posts went wide to the left.
The Vodafone Junior Warriors had begun the match well against far more experienced opponents, working their way to a 10-8 midway through the first half when left winger Fine Faingaa raced through to collect a Peter Hellesoe grubber poked through in behind the defence.
The middle stages belonged to Otahuhu, though, a four tries-to-one haul building a commanding 28-14 lead. Match details:
Vodafone Junior Warriors 28 (Viliami Lolohea 2, Fine Faingaa, Malakai Houma, Eko Malu, Ngataua Hukatai tries; Eko Malu 2 conversions).
Otahuhu Leopards 28 (Jo Fuimaono, Carlos Ulberg, Geoff Ruaporo, Toutai Hala, Marty Langdon, George Smith tries; Freddy Turuwhenua 2 conversions).
Halftime: 18-10 Leopards.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/sport/stunning-finish-junior-warriors-opening-trial/5/114024

lg.php

devoid

Juniors
There didn't look like any other injuries. The way game played out, Lewis didn't get much time at hooker -- and that was a good thing. His running out of dummy half was strong, but all organisation was left to Pita (Carlos was quiet -- he played with control though, and took the line on 3 times). Soon, Mara came on with Maloney (Pita to fullback, Carlos at 6), and we had a bit more shape again.

To be honest though, my perspective was that the refs kept the second half close. Even with our core guys off the field, we looked the more physical and the more capable. Without their 4 or 5 guys in the All Stars game, they didn't offer anything except basics (fair enough). But without our 4 or 5 guys, well it was a different story.

I was excited by the purchase of Friend and always regarded him in the top 4 hookers. I suppose I became a little cautious with my expectations after hearing a lot of negative sentiment regarding his age -- but seriously, the guy is top drawer.

Re: the 20s -- No Slaimankel, no Haviili, no Meads... Potential, yes. But no combinations (expected I suppose), and outside of Malo, and the rake who played the 2nd half, not much poise. The starting wingers had some serious toe -- especially the boy on the left. I thought it was daylight between our hookers though -- the kid who played the 2nd half looks like he has the goods to back up Haviili.

Warmess

Juniors
Sucks for Bull :( He can definitely be covered for, but losing 1/4 of what was one of the sickest prop rotations of last year will hurt for sure.

Other than that it all sounds pretty good.

Sounds like Fish had a blinder. I get the feeling he's not going to last his whole deal. There'll be some club who comes and offers him something. He's far too talented to be playing reggies, and I doubt he'd take a positional change very well if there are other clubs offering him a fullback spot.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
There didn't look like any other injuries. The way game played out, Lewis didn't get much time at hooker -- and that was a good thing. His running out of dummy half was strong, but all organisation was left to Pita (Carlos was quiet -- he played with control though, and took the line on 3 times). Soon, Mara came on with Maloney (Pita to fullback, Carlos at 6), and we had a bit more shape again.

To be honest though, my perspective was that the refs kept the second half close. Even with our core guys off the field, we looked the more physical and the more capable. Without their 4 or 5 guys in the All Stars game, they didn't offer anything except basics (fair enough). But without our 4 or 5 guys, well it was a different story.

I was excited by the purchase of Friend and always regarded him in the top 4 hookers. I suppose I became a little cautious with my expectations after hearing a lot of negative sentiment regarding his age -- but seriously, the guy is top drawer.

Re: the 20s -- No Slaimankel, no Haviili, no Meads... Potential, yes. But no combinations (expected I suppose), and outside of Malo, and the rake who played the 2nd half, not much poise. The starting wingers had some serious toe -- especially the boy on the left. I thought it was daylight between our hookers though -- the kid who played the 2nd half looks like he has the goods to back up Haviili.

Yeah nathan friend looked quality . . just the little things he does.
Makes everyone else better.
I put my hand up as doubting him but more on his physical durability etc but will happily eat my words if he plays the season.

Bluey has it right making brown 14. providing cover if neccessary.

I wouldnt read too much into the 20s. as they have so many numbers at the moment. Once it whittled down a little
The game was a bit farcical in terms of how manny rotations otahuhu were doing more like an open trial.

Slaimankhel will stroll into the team either at centre, wing or fullback.
While the others might have some competition throughout the season.

ive seen the hookers both play for the Counties Manukau Prems side in the national comp - both quality. Friend is the more complete hooker imo - he has a strong d and was would was putting props in gaps, while bishop is a running hooker suited the adlib style. His running was suited after otahuhu tired in the 2nd, same as malu and lolohea. bishop could play 13 too.

Lolohea needs to learn how to do the basics aswell as the highlight reel stuff. Probably why he started off in Prems last year and went back down to 18s.
Like getting back for kicks and doing the hard runs a la nightingale..

Malu should get plenty of time in 7 this year imo. especially if carlos is played elsewhere. his isnt poise either more adlib style player.
He needs more poise - he already has good kicking game and

The first standoff was out of his depth and got thrown into touch and threw a few hospitals.

stevenb

Juniors
Lillyman facing three months on sideline
5/02/2012 10:39:42 AM
Prop Jacob Lillyman faces probable surgery and three months on the sideline after damaging his right bicep in the Vodafone Warriors’ opening NRL trial against the Gold Coast Titans at North Harbour Stadium last night.
The 27-year-old Queensland State of Origin forward was forced off the field after just 10 minutes of the Vodafone Warriors’ 26-10 trial win.
Club doctor John Mayhew today confirmed the 124-game NRL veteran had torn his right bicep off the tendon.
“It’s probable he’ll have surgery this week,” he said.
“With this type of injury he faces three months on the sideline.”
Lillyman was a key contributor in the Vodafone Warriors’ successful campaign last year, appearing in 26 of the club’s 28 matches.
“It’s a real blow to lose Jake and it’s especially tough for him,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“It’s disappointing knowing how hard he has worked during the off-season and how well he has prepared but I know our medical staff will do everything they can to give him the best possible treatment and get him back just as soon as possible.”
With Lillyman set to be out of contention until the end of April, McClennan said several contenders were in line to replace Lillyman for the Vodafone Warriors’ season-opening encounter with Manly at Eden Park on March 4. He said they’d be given every opportunity to push their claims in the next two trials against South Sydney (February 11) and Sunshine Coast (February 18).

warriors.co.nz/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=46851&title=lillyman-facing-three-months-on-sideline

devoid

Juniors
ive seen the hookers both play for the Counties Manukau Prems side in the national comp - both quality. Friend is the more complete hooker imo - he has a strong d and was would was putting props in gaps, while bishop is a running hooker suited the adlib style. His running was suited after otahuhu tired in the 2nd, same as malu and lolohea. bishop could play 13 too.

So the hookers that played 20s were Friend (related to Clayton?) and Bishop? Which one of the two played the 2nd half? I thought the first half hooker had zero vision, and never seemed to be assessing the defense, whereas the 2nd half rake was very aware and better organised.

The first standoff was out of his depth and got thrown into touch and threw a few hospitals.

Yeah, I agree. Receeding hairline too, poor kid.

devoid

Juniors
Lillyman facing three months on sideline
5/02/2012 10:39:42 AM
Prop Jacob Lillyman faces probable surgery and three months on the sideline after damaging his right bicep in the Vodafone Warriors’ opening NRL trial against the Gold Coast Titans at North Harbour Stadium last night.
The 27-year-old Queensland State of Origin forward was forced off the field after just 10 minutes of the Vodafone Warriors’ 26-10 trial win.
Club doctor John Mayhew today confirmed the 124-game NRL veteran had torn his right bicep off the tendon.
“It’s probable he’ll have surgery this week,” he said.
“With this type of injury he faces three months on the sideline.”
Lillyman was a key contributor in the Vodafone Warriors’ successful campaign last year, appearing in 26 of the club’s 28 matches.
“It’s a real blow to lose Jake and it’s especially tough for him,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“It’s disappointing knowing how hard he has worked during the off-season and how well he has prepared but I know our medical staff will do everything they can to give him the best possible treatment and get him back just as soon as possible.”
With Lillyman set to be out of contention until the end of April, McClennan said several contenders were in line to replace Lillyman for the Vodafone Warriors’ season-opening encounter with Manly at Eden Park on March 4. He said they’d be given every opportunity to push their claims in the next two trials against South Sydney (February 11) and Sunshine Coast (February 18).

warriors.co.nz/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=46851&title=lillyman-facing-three-months-on-sideline

Terrible news for Lilly. He looks in incredible condition. I guess this means somewhere around round 9 for his return.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
So the hookers that played 20s were Friend (related to Clayton?) and Bishop? Which one of the two played the 2nd half? I thought the first half hooker had zero vision, and never seemed to be assessing the defense, whereas the 2nd half rake was very aware and better organised.

Yeah, I agree. Receeding hairline too, poor kid.

nah friend was the first hooker - usually the opposite.
Didnt look too flash but he nearly made the residents side.
Once he gets a bit more support he will go well.

The first fullback made the residents side aswell - he was a bit off at first too.
I guess they dont really know the bloke next to them at this stage.

Bishop is more like Seluini, scoop and go.

In the first half Otahuhu were all guns blazing and a few warriors boys were a bit stunn/gun shy.
especially the standoff.

In the 2nd half .the game opened up more etc.
Sione Feao - usually plays for Otahuhu played centre and setup the last try.

The first two centres Hellesloe and Nikau are good players too but didnt really show much.
Hellesloe played for northcote and nikau howick.
Nikau is more a winger imo.

Keep an eye out for SJ Bristowe for the Vulcans trials.
He is rustys little brother and is a big unit and only 18.
If he impresses for Vulcans - he will get drafted in imo.

devoid

Juniors
Awesome, thanks for that MMM. Those first two centres were big guys -- I think the side as a whole did look gun shy in the first half. The 11 and 12 for Otahuhu looked pretty handy, and overall they were a well drilled side. Good hit out for the 20s. Chuck Tui, S.S.T., Meads, Haviili back in there, and it gets stronger obviously. Can't believe the footy is back :)

Warmess

Juniors
Yikes. Horrid luck for Bull D: Can't be fun tearing your bicep at the tendon :/

If it was gonna happen, at least it happened now, when it can be handled with little pressure to whoever has to fill his boots.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Awesome, thanks for that MMM. Those first two centres were big guys -- I think the side as a whole did look gun shy in the first half. The 11 and 12 for Otahuhu looked pretty handy, and overall they were a well drilled side. Good hit out for the 20s. Chuck Tui, S.S.T., Meads, Haviili back in there, and it gets stronger obviously. Can't believe the footy is back :)

well from memory 11 was geoff ruaporo - a former infamous warriors development player and 12 was sonny walker. both good local players.

Sonny walker made the vulcans squad last year - but didnt play.
He is a gun - but put on a bit of weight.
He probably should of made warriors juniors in 2011.

also 19 - nafetalai the big centre who carved up - he was professional material imo. He played for the vulcans previously.

Rich102

Staff member
Vodafone Warriors prop Jacob Lillyman will have surgery on his damaged right bicep tomorrow.
The 124-game NRL veteran lasted only 10 minutes of last Saturday's trial against Gold Coast before reeling out of a tackle holding his right arm.
Team doctor John Mayhew told www.warriors.co.nz today that Lillyman was scheduled to have an operation tomorrow to reattach the bicep tendon to the bone at the elbow.
Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan said everyone felt for the Queenslander.
"It's disappointing for him and for all of us but, while Jake might be having a low right now, you only have to look back to last year when he played in the grand final and the State of Origin," he said.
"He had plenty of joy there. He's a good character is Bull. He's philosophical about this and understands the game and knows this is just the nature of it. You have your lows, you have your highs."
Mayhew confirmed Lillyman would be out for three months recovering from his injury and subsequent surgery.

http://www.warriors.co.nz/default.a...47002&title=lillyman-to-have-surgery-tomorrow