What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lincoln Withers On Open Market

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Hi guys,

I haven't done too many posts (this is no 2) but I was reading in todays RLW that Lincoln Withers has been given permission to talk to other clubs as the Dragons have Michael Ennis coming from Newcastle next year.

Surely this is an opportunity for us to make an active grab for his services again. I think he played well for the tigers in 2003 and was one of the best/consistent at the dragons in 2004. Given the retirement of Darren Senter and the injury to Robbie Farah, we need a GOOD hooker to help our forward pack go forward (IMO our biggest problem in 2004) and to shore up the defence in the middle of the field.

Personally, the thought of withers feeding the ball to skando on the burst followed by a quick pass to prince to feed benji is good enough to keep me going through the summer.

Thoughts?

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I'd be sceptical of signing him. I think his improvement this season obviously had a lot to do with the superior players along side him. Next year we could have Mears, Farah with Galea or Fitzhenry or a PL hooker if any of them get injured. That's enough for me. I don't think the #9 is a position we need to improve in.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Is Mears definately re-signed? I thought there was still talk of retirement? As far as Galea and Fitzhenry go, I think Galea is a much better player when not having the added burden of dummy half, and Fitzhenry is a dummy half runner, not passer. Fitzhenry has done well in the latter half of the season with quick bursts from the ruck, but as I said we need an organiser, not a runner. IMO too many tigers plays this year involved dummy half runs. But I suppose that is the problem, no-one (skando excluded) has been willing to get in there and get the hard yards from hit ups.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Just on my last post - is it just me or is anyone else annoyed that there are two fullbacks in the top 5 hitups in the NRL for the season. WHAT THE HELL ARE FORWARDS DOING?

I understand that the rotation system during games has an impact on playing time but geez, if they go on there and work their guts out, come off and have a rest, then go back on, they should be doing a bit better than that.

Brimmer

Juniors
Agreed B&W and that last post. I have mail that Withers has been offered a 4 year contract at the raiders. Tiger Pride is right.... you guys don't need him...

WE DO!!!

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Source for your mail brimmer??

You guys don't need him - you have simon woolford. Having seen a fair bit of the raiders this year (housemate is a tragic) I can't see how much of a go he would get in the firsts given that he would have to oust your captain for a first grade spot. I can't think of when the raiders have gotten rid of a captain - they choose to leave on their own terms eg. Wiki, Meninga. Woolford will stick around for at least another two seasons to show the young players (Carney, Campese, Weyman etc) what first grade is all about. Besides you guys have a competitive reggies side to draw from whereas we are honestly struggling in that department (whole diff debate there)

Withers would have no chance than off the bench at best. he is better off going somewhere where he would get more first grade time.

But enough about the raiders, this is a Wests forum. Withers to the Tiges in 05.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Brimmer said:
Agreed B&W and that last post. I have mail that Withers has been offered a 4 year contract at the raiders. Tiger Pride is right.... you guys don't need him...

WE DO!!!

Mears hasn't resigned yet and I doubt he will to be honest.

On linc how the hell can the Raiders say they need him more than the Wests Tigers do, I mean after all they do have an established 1st grade Hooker in Woolford in the ranks.

Mind you it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up going home but I doubt he would head back there next year because of the Woolford factor

NZ Magpie

Juniors
Bring back Lincoln... I was devastated when I heard that he had left us in the first place. I must admit to watching him during the season and feeling pain every time he tackled or ran with the ball.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
But he has been seen sitting with the Wests players this year watching their games (I think it was the souths match?), so obviously there is no ill feeling between him and the tigers management. I take that as an encouraging sign.

EWS

Juniors
From Grandstand Forums:

I was at school today and to my shock a departing Dragon was there. So we got talking and i was with my mate whose a Tigers fan. So i said to the Dragon "Don't worry about him he is a Tiger" to which the player replied "Looks like you will be getting Lincoln back."

Then the coversation continued, with me asking about Ennis. He said that the club think he will be a 80-minute player and don't want to leave Withers in the lurch.

So to my disgust it appears that the Mole story is true.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Firstly, i think the only way Canberra would fit Lincoln in is at halfback. He's obviously not gonna displace captain Woolford. Besides that, no disrespect to the raiders but i think he would prefer a move back to the Tigers to which he has already been quoted a million times as saying so too.

Vicious

Bench
Canberra have apparently offered Lincoln a 4 year contract.I`m guessing the strategy behind that is to use Lincoln as an interchange player next year.Next year will probably be Woolfords last,so Lincoln would then take over as starting hooker for the remaining 3 years of his contract.

Kid

Juniors
NZ Magpie said:
Bring back Lincoln... I was devastated when I heard that he had left us in the first place. I must admit to watching him during the season and feeling pain every time he tackled or ran with the ball.
Here Here, it's been bloody disgraceful!!

But he has been seen sitting with the Wests players this year watching their games (I think it was the souths match?), so obviously there is no ill feeling between him and the tigers management. I take that as an encouraging sign.

Of course not..alot of former WT players still come back and watch the guys, ive seen others there at games too(not mentioning names but ive seen them there) ,managment have 2 make desicions, take the NBQ situation..he loves the club 2 death, but he had 2 look elsewhere, got a chance at Manly he had 2 go..no room for him at the tigers,he loves playing league. Im not sure if it was the same situation as Lincon but it seems like a similar situation, 2 me???

IMO

Wobbygong

First Grade
Looks like Linc is more than likely returning to his first NRL club next year, ie Canberra. Looks very much like he and Tyran Smith are doing a straight swap.

oro

Juniors
We know what guys like Withers can do and what they can't do. Why bring a player back if he is not what the club wants? Significant improvement in WTs performance to a large degree will be dictated by the emergence of younger players from Balmain and Wests.