What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linebreaks

EzyG

Juniors
In relation to what we all know re: Penrith score most tries from kicks.
In an interview with Petro some time ago he commented Walshy stays back after training practicing his kicks which could only contribute to his pin-point accuracy kicking, combined with the panthers awsome chase, this has given the team huge success this season, which only comes off the back of great training. So congratulations to the Panthers for setting the benchmark for tries scored form kick chase this season. Walshy is in the same class as Cronk & Lockyer when it comes to kicks.
What I would like to see him improve on is cut out passes & standing wider to spread the ball or/and attract defenders to put our guns through holes.
Panthers linebreaks are ordinay this year.
Maybe next year Walsh should be trialled at 6 & Grahme to 7.

Thoughts?

Delboy

First Grade
Brilliant tactics, keep kicking and hope fior some luck, wouldn't want to see your coach use one of the best attacking centres in the game properly.

To be honest, I think the kicking attack is a lack of faith in your outside backs,if you don't want to use them, send Jennings and Gordon to Parra and we will find a way to get them the ball.

Niot being nasty , just an observation on the lack of good ball they tend to get

stretcher

Juniors
Brilliant tactics, keep kicking and hope fior some luck, wouldn't want to see your coach use one of the best attacking centres in the game properly.

To be honest, I think the kicking attack is a lack of faith in your outside backs,if you don't want to use them, send Jennings and Gordon to Parra and we will find a way to get them the ball.

Niot being nasty , just an observation on the lack of good ball they tend to get
yep your its starting to dry up now at the same time of the year as last year and the year before that elliot has run out of ideas again and from memory they finished last year on 26 points and thats wat they are on now..

Spitty

Juniors
It's hard to make a lot of linebreaks when your forwards are rolling up the field so efficiently and you play most of your footy in good field position. We've used all season what has been effective, strong forwards rolling over the advantage line and putting us position to execute attacking kicks. Are you suggesting we should have gone away from what was working just for the sake of spreading the ball more?

That's the only game plan that's worked for us in the last 5 years and it's got us in second place. Yes it has some drawbacks, like any game plan, but it's worked for 17 rounds, worked for the first 30 minutes on Saturday night and I believe will work again in coming rounds.

Fibroman

First Grade
I'd like to see Tighe move to centre, and get both centres to stand deeper in attack to make best use of their speed and footwork.

stretcher

Juniors
I'd like to see Tighe move to centre, and get both centres to stand deeper in attack to make best use of their speed and footwork.
you make a good point because purtell is the worsed defender in the team and luke walsh isnt much better when parra finally got the footy they exposed there weeknesses three missed tackles three tries and in relation to the other comment of the panthers having good field position and the kick is the sensible form of attack i agree to a point but stgeorge score a lot of tries off kicksbut its not there only attack and that could be the difference in the finals and if you watched the interview after the game with jarryd hayne you would of heard him say we knew what penrith were going to do but we had a plan to combat that which they did.....

EzyG

Juniors
Are you suggesting we should have gone away from what was working just for the sake of spreading the ball more?.

It's time for Walsh to take his game to the next level. Come finals time every opposition team will plan to stop or atleast place as much pressure as possible on his kicks at 100 miles an hour.
By adding some variety to his plays such as spreading the ball he can have the opposition guessing & in turn create errors in defense.

I beleive he already is our most potent attacking weapon this year and by adding some variety to his plays can take Panthers to the next level.

Spitty

Juniors
It's time for Walsh to take his game to the next level. Come finals time every opposition team will plan to stop or atleast place as much pressure as possible on his kicks at 100 miles an hour.
By adding some variety to his plays such as spreading the ball he can have the opposition guessing & in turn create errors in defense.

I beleive he already is our most potent attacking weapon this year and by adding some variety to his plays can take Panthers to the next level.

Mate compared to what he's produced in previous seasons, both for us and Newcastle this is the next level. He spread the ball heaps last year and our centres and winger saw plenty of ball and we had plenty of line break. Do you want last years results?

Walsh has his up's and his downs, like any halfback his "A" game has it's flaws and can be shut down at times. But more often than not, it's effective. He's not a ball spreader, he can't throw beautiful out balls to put his centre's in space and he can't pass the ball from sideline to sideline fast and accurately. That's what Graham has been brought into the team for. Walsh is a centre field player, he runs nice subtle lines to give his forwards more space with the ball, he organises the play well, he has a pin point accurate kicking game and he can pick when to run and when not to. But when he run's it's always around the ruck exposing tired forwards.

We've seen him have his best season yet because the team has played around him. They've chased his pin point kicks hard, his forwards have run hard off the lines he's created and he's been protected in defence. Quite frankly his "B" game just isn't that effective, it didn't work last year and it didn't work at Newcastle and if we try and play that way now 3/4 of the way through the season it probably won't work again.

EzyG

Juniors
Mate compared to what he's produced in previous seasons, both for us and Newcastle this is the next level. He spread the ball heaps last year and our centres and winger saw plenty of ball and we had plenty of line break. Do you want last years results?

Walsh has his up's and his downs, like any halfback his "A" game has it's flaws and can be shut down at times. But more often than not, it's effective. He's not a ball spreader, he can't throw beautiful out balls to put his centre's in space and he can't pass the ball from sideline to sideline fast and accurately. That's what Graham has been brought into the team for. Walsh is a centre field player, he runs nice subtle lines to give his forwards more space with the ball, he organises the play well, he has a pin point accurate kicking game and he can pick when to run and when not to. But when he run's it's always around the ruck exposing tired forwards.

We've seen him have his best season yet because the team has played around him. They've chased his pin point kicks hard, his forwards have run hard off the lines he's created and he's been protected in defence. Quite frankly his "B" game just isn't that effective, it didn't work last year and it didn't work at Newcastle and if we try and play that way now 3/4 of the way through the season it probably won't work again.

Hi Spitty
I turned on the computer to add a post about thinking BIG, but after reading your post I tend to agree with all of it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Here's hoping the last 2 weeks has given the panthers the medicine needed to take the whole team to the next level leading to the finals.
Awsome year for the Panther.

Fibroman

First Grade
WE need to get 3 big poppers punching hit ups. When Walsh goes for the inside ball, it need to go to someone like Micky Gordon, Jennings or Pritchard, that can catch the sloppy markers napping.

Purtell has his place in the side, and it's called....Windsor. WE need to get Tighe into the #4 and that young bloke that plays centre/wing at Windsor blooded into FG.

Pritchard should be brought on 15 minutes into the first half and then 10 minutes into the 2nd half and Coote and Jennings need to follow him when he runs wide.

I would start with McKendry in the front row and bring Laurie on for impact.

franklin2323

Immortal
In relation to what we all know re: Penrith score most tries from kicks.
In an interview with Petro some time ago he commented Walshy stays back after training practicing his kicks which could only contribute to his pin-point accuracy kicking, combined with the panthers awsome chase, this has given the team huge success this season, which only comes off the back of great training. So congratulations to the Panthers for setting the benchmark for tries scored form kick chase this season. Walshy is in the same class as Cronk & Lockyer when it comes to kicks.
What I would like to see him improve on is cut out passes & standing wider to spread the ball or/and attract defenders to put our guns through holes.
Panthers linebreaks are ordinay this year.
Maybe next year Walsh should be trialled at 6 & Grahme to 7.

Thoughts?

Problem is Pritchard/Jennings are our only 2 players capable of linebreaks yet both have had injury problems this year in the backs we have speed and small backs so they can't break the line.

Short balls form Lewis wide passes from Graham will be the only way we aren't so reliant on kicks for points

Panthers_God

Juniors
I think Walsh is prone to throwing too many short balls to Waterhouse, Lewis etc. It would be nice if he could mix it up with some cut out balls out to Jennings or Coote and get them on the outside of their defenders.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Walsh is prone to throwing too many short balls to Waterhouse, Lewis etc. It would be nice if he could mix it up with some cut out balls out to Jennings or Coote and get them on the outside of their defenders.

That would work also. I would rather the 5/8 do that job and the 7 just kick and the odd run but yeah as a shock it would be good just not every set

Fibroman

First Grade
The main reason we are travelling as well as we are this year is:

Luke Lewis in career best form.
Petero, best prop in the game.
Kingston Mr consistancy.
Tim Grant most improved young prop in the game.
Coote improving after packing on a few KG's.
Tighe and Gordon both in good form.
Walsh's short kicking game.