What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions \"arrogant\"

THE Brisbane Lions have been knocked off their AFL perch by coach Leigh Matthews, who accused some players of arrogance.

Matthews said he was unhappy with some comments after the Lions surged to their third premiership, thumping Collingwood by 50 points.

"We haven't handled it well. We've been a bit arrogant and I haven't been pleased with that," Matthews told Channel 10. "In the post-game euphoria, a few players said things they shouldn't have. We're believers in being humble in victory and I thought there were signs of arrogance. It will affect the next campaign very badly if it's not knocked out, real quick."

Matthews would not comment further, insisting that was the "end of the story".

Lions chairman Graeme Downie was also disappointed. He would not say which players had gone over the top with comments but said it would not be tolerated. "I totally agree with Leigh's comments. It's not the style of our club."

Players Jason Akermanis and Jonathan Brown were among those who questioned the Magpies' courage.

"We played so brutally that a lot of their guys were jumping out of the way," Akermanis said.

Brown baited the Pies by saying the Lions had "put our head over the footy every time and I don't know whether the Collingwood blokes did."

The Lions will have a victory parade on the Gold Coast today.

The Courier-Mail

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7435380-23211,00.html

damn right, espically Jason Akermanis. He is close to one of the MOST ARROGANT PEOPLE IN THE AFL/VFL COMP even wrose than jacko and CAPPER!!!

XXXX

Juniors
It's OK being arrogant if you can back it up . Capper was a big attraction being a big mouth but then he'd go out and take those marks .the game has lost a lot of colur with everybody being so polite . Just once i'd like a coach to say "we hate em and we're going to rub their noses in it ."

It's OK being arrogant if the team you're being arrogant to is Collingwood .

dimitri

First Grade
i have an idea

if these guys are arrogant

line them up and let them be tackled by RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS (real men)

im sure they wouldnt be arrogant for long

CyberKev

Staff member
dimitri said:
i have an idea

I bet its a good 'un...

dimitri said:
line them up and let them be tackled by RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS (real men)

Nup :( Good thing I don't play the ponies...

Would your type of 'real men' be the Joe Jackson variety, Natarsha?

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Maybe it comes from chemicals in the northern waters...

I've never seen arrogance to match the Broncos post-1993 GF carryon...

A decade later and now the Lions players are at it.

Full marks to Lethal for acting to try and nip things in the bud.

CyberKev

mud n blood

Juniors
It's all a storm in a teacup !!! Just something for the Courier Mail - worst paper in the country - to print and boost readership because their RL investments aren't still playing.

What the players have said is nothing short of truth. What's the problem with that ? They aren't slagging off Collingwood players or the club, simply saying how the game went. You're forgetting the humble nature of Matthews.

If anyone should be accused of arrogance, it should be king Eddie and the press itself !

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I reckon the players have everyright to be arrogant. I'm not die hard AFL fan but to win three titles in succession in any competition is an exceptional effort. If the lions players want to brag then so be it. What's the big deal?

Latest posts