What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions tour 2019

hutch

First Grade
Thread dedicated to the tour next year. I think playing all the games in New Zealand is a mistake, surely they can at least play fiji in Fiji?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7715...ga-in-new-zealand-in-first-test-for-12-years/

TONGA TIED
Great Britain set to face Tonga in New Zealand in first Test for 12 years
Re-formed Lions also set to face the Kiwis twice and Fiji and Samoa before heading to Papua New Guinea

EXCLUSIVE
By Gary Carter
12th November 2018, 6:00 am
Updated: 12th November 2018, 5:36 am
GREAT Britain are set to face a Tonga-lashing in their first Test in 12 years.

For SunSport can reveal the reborn Lions are believed to be kicking off the 2019 tour Down Under against the new international power Tonga.

Two Tests against New Zealand will follow the Tonga game, with games against Fiji and Samoa sandwiched between in midweek.

Sources say Auckland and Wellington are likely to be venues for the games, which will all be in the Land of the Long White Cloud, but they are also looking at holding at least one match on the South Island.

After those five games, it is thought to be off to Papua New Guinea for one final game against the Kumuls.

Current England boss Wayne Bennett is set to be in charge of Great Britain, while many of the players who impressed in this year’s series against New Zealand are likely to be in Great Britain’s squad.

However, there will be no match against Australia after the Kangaroos and the NRL decided against hosting the Lions.

It is believed commercial concerns, not selling enough tickets, are behind the decision.

Australia will play in an Oceania Cup next year before heading to England for a three-Test series in 2020.

As a result, they will not take part in the new competition, which has been ratified by the Rugby League International Federation.

The Cook Islands will take their place while they are in the northern hemisphere.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Half arsed as usual. I’d rather it was England touring down under playing the kiwis in 3 tests instead of 2 and Tonga in Auckland before heading to PNG to play the kumuls.

Burns

First Grade
Half arsed as usual. I’d rather it was England touring down under playing the kiwis in 3 tests instead of 2 and Tonga in Auckland before heading to PNG to play the kumuls.
Playing Samoa and Fiji is more important than another Test against New Zealand.

The RFL and NZRL will need to think long and hard on venue choice. I could see a match in Wellington against New Zealand being combined with one of Samoa/Fiji/PNG playing each other as part of their Oceanic Cup.

Burns

First Grade
A waste of time.....and that'll be my only contribution to any GB talk from this day forward..
Yep, look sure.

It may as well be England etc.

Now on the points made my kiwileaguefan and Walter - How else can a tour by GB be justified? If it was purely financial, I would wager than even a Two/Three Test series against New Zealand would lose money. Recent history shows that NZ aren't exactly a draw card in their own country.

There needs to be some careful considered planning for this Tour. Capturing the Tongan fanbase, and somehow getting them to Samoan game will be important.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The only way I see GB v Fiji and GB v Samoa midweek in NZ working is if they are double headers as part of the Oceania Cup, say:

GB v Fiji / Tonga v PNG - Auckland
GB v NZ - Auckland

GB v Samoa / Tonga v Fiji - Wellington
GB v NZ - Wellington

Still not ideal but at least the crowd and look for the game won't be an utter embarrassement

Perth Red

Post Whore
However, there will be no match against Australia after the Kangaroos and the NRL decided against hosting the Lions.
It is believed commercial concerns, not selling enough tickets, are behind the decision.

NRL weak as pss.

Hopefully if fixtures work out I will head over to NZ to catch the tonga game and the NZ test the weekend after.

re the GB debate, I like it. Keep England for tournaments and GB for tours. Works for me. Time to dig out that British Coal GB Lions shirt!

Pommy

Coach

NRL weak as pss.

Hopefully if fixtures work out I will head over to NZ to catch the tonga game and the NZ test the weekend after.

re the GB debate, I like it. Keep England for tournaments and GB for tours. Works for me. Time to dig out that British Coal GB Lions shirt!

The problem with that is the England side is getting fewer games to develop as a playing group.
I would have no problem with it being GB full time but switching between the two (if there’s any non English players in the squad) doesn’t do us any favours trying to beat Australia.

Tonga have been very vocal about playing bigger teams surely they can’t turn it down.

Burns

First Grade
Could only be Tonga they play in Toronto. NZRL will want their match at home.

siv

First Grade
The only way I see GB v Fiji and GB v Samoa midweek in NZ working is if they are double headers as part of the Oceania Cup, say:

GB v Fiji / Tonga v PNG - Auckland
GB v NZ - Auckland

GB v Samoa / Tonga v Fiji - Wellington
GB v NZ - Wellington

Still not ideal but at least the crowd and look for the game won't be an utter embarrassement

Saves on ground rental and broadcasting costs

So not as far fetched as it may seem