What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions Tour

ozbash

Referee
British and Irish Lions named

The squad for the 10-match, three-Test series is made up of 15 Welshmen, 10 Englishmen, nine Irishmen and three Scotsmen and will be captained by Wales' Sam Warburton.

Fullbacks: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales, Cardiff Blues), Stuart Hogg (Scotland, Glasgow Warriors), Rob Kearney (Ireland, Leinster)
Wings: Tommy Bowe (Ireland, Ulster), Alex Cuthbert (Wales, Cardiff Blues), Sean Maitland (Scotland, Glasgow Warriors), George North (Wales, Scarlets)

Centres: Jonathan Davies (Wales, Scarlets), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland, Leinster), Jamie Roberts (Wales, Cardiff Blues), Manusamoa Tuilagi (England, Leicester Tigers)

Outside halves: Owen Farrell (England, Saracens), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland, Leinster)

Scrum halves: Conor Murray (Ireland, Munster), Mike Phillips (Wales, Bayonne), Ben Youngs (England, Leicester Tigers)

Props: Dan Cole (England, Leicester Tigers), Cian Healy (Ireland, Leinster), Gethin Jenkins (Wales, Toulon), Adam Jones (Wales, Ospreys), Matt Stevens (England, Saracens), Mako Vunipola (England, Saracens)

Hookers: Dylan Hartley (England, Northampton Saints), Richard Hibbard (Wales, Ospreys), Tom Youngs (England, Leicester Tigers)

Locks: Ian Evans (Wales, Ospreys), Richie Gray (Scotland, Sale Sharks), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales, Ospreys), Paul O'Connell (Ireland, Munster), Geoff Parling (England, Leicester Tigers)

Loose-forwards: Tom Croft (England, Leicester Tigers), Toby Faletau (Wales, Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland, Leinster), Dan Lydiate (Wales, Newport Gwent Dragons), Sean O'Brien (Ireland, Leinster), Justin Tipuric (Wales, Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Wales, Cardiff Blues)

SKYSPORT

Timbo

Staff member
Should be a good series. Reckon the Lions will take it though.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we got dis

without Wilkinson it wont be a goal-a-thon and our attacking try scoring ability we see us through

ozbash

Referee
O'Connor, Cooper, Lealiifano, Barnes or Beale? Australia must settle on a five-eighth and back him to the hilt if the Wallabies are to beat the British and Irish Lions in a matter of weeks.
Springboks and Stormers captain Jean de Villiers, who played in the South African sides that won the 2007 World Cup and the 2009 Lions series says Australia have the goods to win the prestigious series but warned selectors not to give themselves too many options in the key playmaking role.
''I've been really impressed with the Australian teams in Super Rugby and if you can take the top players then you can really have a very strong side,'' de Villiers said.
''But I also feel it's not good to have three guys competing for the [five-eighth] berth. You want one guy standing out knowing that's the guy you're going to back and he's going to play every Test if there's no injuries.''
The Wallabies No 10 has been worn by an array of players since the 2011 World Cup as injury and form concerns claimed option after option available to coach Robbie Deans.
Then-Springboks coach Peter de Villiers stuck with Ruan Pienaar at five-eighth in the first two tests against the Lions in 2009 to good effect, although it was Pienaar's replacement Morne Steyn who kicked the long-range penalty goal to secure the series late in the second.
De Villiers believes accountability begets confidence in a position where that trait is key.
''If it's a case of 'These three guys are there, anyone can play and let's play this one this week and that one next', you need more consistency and ownership,'' he said. ''You get confidence by knowing 'I'm the man for the job and it's all on me' and it's much easier to be accountable for what you're doing as well, whereas if you don't really know if you're there it's easy to shift the blame.''
The 84-test veteran's opinions are not easily brushed aside. Half an hour with the 32-year-old centre leaves the impression you have picked the brain of one of the most knowledgeable players going around in, if not international rugby, then certainly the southern hemisphere.
Asked for his take on the Waratahs' new playing style and de Villiers references Michael Cheika's Randwick origins to outline the respect he has for the NSW coach. Prompted on Israel Folau, he starts with the fullback's years in league. It may shock Australian sports fans to read this but in the minds of most commentators, players and spectators beyond the Tasman, Folau did not exist before debuting in rugby.
Having followed his trajectory, de Villiers thinks the code-hopping talent has the game to match the hype.
''He's a massive guy, he's quick, he's got great skills and that's everything you need to be a top rugby player and he's showing that now,'' he said. ''A lot of guys have converted to union in the past and not really made the grade whereas with Sonny Bill [Williams] and now [Folau] it seems they've really caught on and are making the most of it.''
In Sydney to play the Waratahs at Allianz Stadium on Saturday, de Villiers could also reflect on his most memorable moment involving both the Lions and NSW. As a member of the South Africa Under 21s side that played its Australian equivalent in the curtain-raiser to the Waratahs' midweek clash with the Lions in 2001, a young de Villiers was on the sideline to watch NSW utility Duncan McRae batter Lions five-eighth Ronan O'Gara in a notorious on-field boil-over 12 years ago.
''We were watching the game ... that was bad and of course O'Gara and I played together at Munster [where de Villiers spent a season in 2009-2010],'' he said.
As well as witnessing his fair share of Lions-related controversies - Springboks openside Schalk Burger was banned for eight weeks after an apparent eye gouge on Luke Fitzgerald in the second test four years ago - de Villiers has seen the danger of a clash of cultures first-hand.
''Speaking to a guy like [2009 Lions captain] Paul O'Connell it's a challenge for a captain and a team to get the different cultures together because a couple of weeks ago they were still bashing each other in the Six Nations,'' he said.
The appointment of Sam Warburton to the captaincy raised a few eyebrows, including de Villiers'. He believes the contributions of O'Connell and Irish centre Brian O'Driscoll will be crucial.
''O'Driscoll has a lot to give still, he'll be massive off the field with the team, and I would like to see him be in the mix on the field as well,'' he said. ''You need that experience as well, you've got a captain that I think is pretty inexperienced, he's still young, and you need guys like O'Driscoll and O'Connell ...to be there and help him.''
And while de Villiers is adamant the Wallabies must anoint a long-term No 10, picking who is another matter. ''For me the combination that's been working the best is at the Reds,'' he said. ''[Will Genia and Quade Cooper] have been really going well but then you look at [Matt] Toomua and [Christian] Lealiifano at the Brumbies, and even Nic White at No 9, suddenly they're playing really well.
''It's a tough one, it's a good and a bad situation to be in, but that decision needs to be made and they need to stick with those guys.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/8661475/Wallabies-need-to-settle-on-10-and-back-him

ozbash

Referee
Folau makes Wallabies squad, Cooper misses out

Form five-eighth Quade Cooper has been sensationally omitted from the first Wallabies squad to be named for the upcoming British and Irish Lions tour.
Cooper has missed out to James O'Connor, Christian Lealiifano and Berrick Barnes, who were all included as five-eighth options in the 25-man squad unveiled by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans in Sydney today (NZ time).
The Reds playmaker still has until June 11 to play his way into the eventual squad of 31 but with three options already included his chances appear limited.
Waratahs fullback Israel Folau made it into the squad after making his Super Rugby debut in February this year, while storming Brumbies fullback Jesse Mogg missed out.
Mogg was in strong contention for selection but did not make the cut. Just two other uncapped players were included in the group alongside Folau.
Mogg's Brumbies teammates Lealiifano and back rower Ben Mowen were the other two players who are now poised to make their Test debuts when the three-Test series kicks off in Brisbane on June 22.
Deans included both former Wallabies captains James Horwill and Will Genia in the squad but will not name a skipper until the 31-man group is named on June 11.
Brumbies winger Joe Tomane and Force winger Nick Cummins were also named, while veteran Test winger Drew Mitchell missed out.
Mitchell has recently returned to the Waratahs starting line up after overcoming a hamstring strain.
The departing winger, who will play in France next season, revealed on Twitter he had received a call from Deans, delivering the bad news, on Sunday morning.
"What was I thinking?! I answered the 1 call I shouldve screened ha. Congrats to the 25 men selected for @QantasWallabies. Get the job done," Mitchell wrote.
Deans's squad list was modified late last night after what appear to be season ending injuries to form flanker George Smith and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau during the Waratahs upset win over conference leaders the Brumbies on Saturday.
Smith appears to have damaged the medial ligament in his left knee, while Polota-Nau has fractured his right forearm.
Centre Pat McCabe was also omitted after injuring his leg in the same game. Waratahs centre Rob Horne is included.
The squad is:
Backs: Israel Folau*, Digby Ioane, Joe Tomane, Nick Cummins, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Rob Horne, Pat McCabe, Christian Leali’ifano*, Berrick Barnes, James O’Connor, Will Genia.
Forwards: Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Scott Higginbotham, Ben Mowen*, Rob Simmons, James Horwill, Sitaleki Timani, James Slipper, Ben Alexander, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore, Saia Faingaa.
* Denotes uncapped player

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...Folau-makes-Wallabies-squad-Cooper-misses-out

BODISGOD

Bench
Deans allowing ego to trump the right call with Cooper. That's a big off the field win for the Lions.

Horses for courses. as much as i'd love to see Cooper there, he really is a defensive liability. yes he's improving but he couldn't cope with that very large rampaging Lions outfit running at him all day. He will need someone with him all the time and that will just create space out wider. O'Connor will do the job though i'd prefer him at 12. I feel sorry for Mogg. he's unfashionable but i'd feel better with him there than Folau. Pyle deserves to be there over Timani.

BODISGOD

Bench
Horses for courses. as much as i'd love to see Cooper there, he really is a defensive liability. yes he's improving but he couldn't cope with that very large rampaging Lions outfit running at him all day. He will need someone with him all the time and that will just create space out wider. O'Connor will do the job though i'd prefer him at 12. I feel sorry for Mogg. he's unfashionable but i'd feel better with him there than Folau. Pyle deserves to be there over Timani.

Really? Folau on the wing is a must as far as I'm concerned. With Beale and Diggers almost certainly out of Test 1 Australia are going to need gamebreakers and he is just that. Agree Mogg is unlucky though.

I still think Cooper is worthy of the 25, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face without the outburst that he wouldn't be there. He does deserve it the arrogant twat, but he is still more than capable and Deans is almost certainly out, I thought he would drop his ego for this and try and go out with a series win.

IanG

Coach
Full Time Score
British & Irish Lions 64
NSW/Qld Combined Country 0
Crowd 20,031 at Hunter Stadium Newcastle

skeepe

Immortal
Go the f**king Beymbies you ducking lehenfs f**k yrsh!??!!!?!!!!

Suck a fat ine you Ponny merkins!!!!'nnnm

undertaker

Coach
Normally, rugby union - like AFL - is a very good cure for insomnia. However, I will say in all honesty that this is one of the better test matches I've seen.

Amazing try from Folau as well. Further goes to show why league players are better athletes than union.

Latest posts