What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liverpool v Chelsea

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ref dropped after penalty blunder

From Rex Gowar in London
August 20, 2007

REFEREE Rob Styles has been dropped from this weekend's English Premier League matches after awarding Chelsea a controversial penalty against Liverpool at Anfield.

Styles gave Chelsea a penalty when Florent Malouda went down despite minimal contact from Liverpool defender Steve Finnan, and Frank Lampard converted the spot kick to give the London side a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

"(Styles) looked at the video with the decision and he's admitted that he got it wrong," chief of referees Keith Hackett was quoted as saying on Sky Sports News.

"I've left a message with (Liverpool manager) Rafa Benitez to apologise on behalf of the PGMO (Professional Game Match Officials) for the error.

"I did in pre-season say to managers and the general public that accountability exists and we do, at the PGMO, expect referees to get the big decisions correct.

"On this occasion this is wrong and therefore Rob will not be officiating next weekend."

Benitez was incensed by the penalty decision that left Liverpool, which had taken the lead through Fernando Torres, in seventh place with four points from two games at the start of a season in which he is determined they win the club's first championship title since 1990. Chelsea is second with seven points from three games.

Styles also appeared to book Chelsea midfield player Michael Essien for a second time in the match shortly after the equaliser but did not send him off.

However, Hackett explained that Styles, having booked Chelsea captain John Terry still had his yellow card in his hand when he raised his arm to indicate a free kick.

"He showed the card to John Terry, then held the card to indicate an indirect free kick," he said.

"In fairness, he forgot to put the card away so it was a basic... admin error as against an error in application of law but it is again something where we'll look closely at the video to ensure we don't get a repeat of that."

Hackett said a linesman at Saturday's Fulham game against Middlesbrough had also been dropped. The London side was denied an equaliser when a shot by striker David Healy appeared to have crossed the line, a fact confirmed by television replays.

Reuters

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22279732-29437,00.html

Bumble

First Grade
Red Bear said:
Wow, Lampard can convert a penalty.

Torres's finish was supurb, very encouraging to see

His goal against Reading midweek was better than Torres.

Foz

Bench
Tyler Durden said:
wonder if rob styles will get another liverpool game this season.
might have to bring back graham poll

I thought we were well and truly over Poll (thought he retired) but I've been reading articles that imply he has a position like a a director of referees.
Hope I'm reading things wrongly.
Then again he'd have plenty of tapes to show other refs what not to do.

Hope we get Styles again this year at a home game.
We'll get the 3 points.

Latest posts