What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Broncos Go into Administration

nadera78

Juniors
Not really, it's pretty much just because the new RFL management are totally incompetent.

Because of the nature and demographics of the sport in this country, RL in the UK will always have a vocal number of backwards, negative fans who have illogical ideas about 'tradition' and can't come to terms with the reality of sport in the 21st century. Sadly the new RFL administration (successors to Richard Lewis) are totally out of their depth, so are resorting to trying to appease people with bizarre, half-baked ideas that they think will be 'popular with fans' rather than doing what's best for the sport.

Basically, things are going to shit over here and the SL clubs are stepping in before it's too late (mainly because of self-interest as Nadera says).

BTW, the London situation is nothing to do with 'London not being able to sustain a club' or anything like that. London Broncos were horrible, they were unlike anything I've ever come across in sport and TBH you'd struggle to describe it as a real club.

The longer it's gone on at London the more convinced I've become that it's a tax right off for Dave Hughes. There can be no other explanation for the insane way the club has been run.

WalesCymru80

Juniors
BTW, the London situation is nothing to do with 'London not being able to sustain a club' or anything like that. London Broncos were horrible, they were unlike anything I've ever come across in sport and TBH you'd struggle to describe it as a real club.

Absolutely correct.

London was toxic. Absolutely toxic. This is a club that has been bumbling and bouncing around London, with new nicknames and 'brands' for decades. Every single year there is a talk of a new name, or a re-brand, or a new stadium.

London is huge - it is 9 million people. It is wrong for anyone to think of London as 'one' because it is not. People do not go from one side of London to another. Someone living in Watford is not going to go to Bromley.

For some stupid reason we have decided to shove a rugby league club in the borough of Twickenham - a name synonymous throughout the UK (and world) with one sport.

Why would anyone choose to be a member of a club that has an axe hanging over it's head?

In reality I think this is good news. Disband London Broncos and get rid of it's toxic 32 year past.

Keep London Skolars and aim for another three semi-professional clubs in London over the next five years.

One thing that must be kept though is the pathway - any London based kid who has the ability to play professional RL must be able to do so.

IowaRL

Juniors
Relatively local to London is also the Hemel Stags, just past Watford. Perhaps a future champ 1 N and Champ 1 S with a few teams around London would work. Where would you move them/reestablish them to?

adamkungl

Immortal
This doesn't seem like completely bad news, all things considered. Biggest basketcase in professional Rugby League.

paulmac

Juniors
I think one of the problems is that most people define themselves as coming from South London or East London not the generic London as such.Maybe let Skolars be North London and whatever remnants from the Broncos which survive become South London.And let a rivalry build up between the pair.

clarency

Juniors
Excuse the ignorance, but is this really a bad thing?

I understand the need for a club in the south but they were hardly getting support, and while championship teams exist in the south the juniors will still have direction.

I think one of the problems is that most people define themselves as coming from South London or East London not the generic London as such.Maybe let Skolars be North London and whatever remnants from the Broncos which survive become South London.And let a rivalry build up between the pair.

I agree, that would be much better

bowes

Juniors
Medway Dragons from just outside London are the most likely next semi-professional side from the region IMO (except perhaps a Broncos phoenix club, though people might just go Skolars, Hemel or Oxford). They have a very solid junior set up and the current side are getting promoted to London Premier (so would be good enough for a reserve set up after they've recruited the first team from further afield).

The amateur game in London is very very unstable. There's only 3 teams that played in a fixtured league this year: one was the reserves to London Skolars, one was Hammersmith Hillshoists (founded as an Aussie social club in 2009 they are by far the oldest standalone amateur club) and a new to 2013 merged club South West London Chargers. There are some merit league clubs and reserve teams lower down but only Newham Dockers (founded 2012), Staines Titans (new to 2013 at open age level) and Beckenham Bears (new to 2013) still survive as a stand alone club after the demise of the other 3 clubs. SWL Chargers and HHH also ran an A team at that level but the latter played one game. In short very difficult to see any of these forming the basis of a pro side but guess a standalone entity could be set up in west London if the interest is there (where 3 of these clubs are based)

The other notable issue is the detachment of open and junior clubs with only London Skolars, Staines Titans and Newham Dockers running teams at open age and junior

Last edited:

IowaRL

Juniors
One question is, if we do see another greater London team, what sort of facilities would they need to have, where will we source them from, and who may we need to ground share with.

Latest posts