What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look Who The Storm Signed For $2

Earl

Coach
July 23, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

THE Melbourne Storm have secretly signed former front-row enforcer Robbie Kearns on a $2 contract for the remainder of the season.

The contract was officially registered with the NRL before the June 30 deadline as insurance against injuries over the remainder of the season.

The idea was the brainchild of super coach Craig Bellamy, who has told the 33-year-old former Test forward he will only be chosen to play if two or three forwards are sidelined.

Chief executive Brian Waldron registered the contract with the NRL on June 29 - 24 hours before the deadline for this year.

Waldron told us: "Robbie is still as fit as a mallee bull. He has kept himself in great shape.

"It's a longshot that he'll play but it's nice to know he's fit and available if we do have an injury crisis in the forwards."

Kearns retired from football at the end of last season but still works for the club as an assistant coach with the forwards.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,19878223-5006066,00.html

:lol: :lol: Classic.

scottyeel

Bench
THE Melbourne Storm have secretly signed former front-row enforcer Robbie Kearns on a $2 contract for the remainder of the season.
Kearns retired from football at the end of last season but still works for the club as an assistant coach with the forwards.
So it's ok to employ players as coaches and then only pay stuff all out of the salary cap.
f**king cheats.

scottyeel said:
So it's ok to employ players as coaches and then only pay stuff all out of the salary cap.
f**king cheats.

cheats????

he has been a coach all season and with lots of injuries to forwards he will only pull on the boots in the case of an emergency

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I can see where Scottyeel is coming from... He wouldn't be playing for $2 as he is already taking money from the club. It's like my boss asking me cover someone else at work while they are sick and also cover my own job for an extra $2 bucks. Would I agree to do it for $2 bucks if I wasn't already being payed???

Bellamy is a bloody genius...give Kearnsy a game...put him in against Manly and Orford in the last round and let him teach the little dwarf a lesson.:cool:

Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Considering the Storm breach the cap practically every year, it's hardly any surprise anyway.

Good one...have not heard this for a while...keep propping up the 8 Manly...:lol:

Inferno

Coach
Even if he doesn't play looks like Melbourne have sown up the bargain buy of the season. What the minor premiership isn't enough for you greedy bastards?

K1w1 Lurvin

Juniors
Collingwood Storm said:
cheats????

he has been a coach all season and with lots of injuries to forwards he will only pull on the boots in the case of an emergency

Warriors looking like they might put Ivan Cleary at fullback just incase Webb gets injuried...

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
kia ora storm said:
Clever boy...nice educated threads...post something interesting then you might get an objective response...:roll:

You don't like the negative spin on this, too bad. It's a rort.

Lego_Man

First Grade
That's the minimum salary. You are allowed to pay players on match payments as far as i know.

strewth_mate

Bench
There'll obviously be a slippery slope effect; next thing is they'll sack all their players and rehire them under an AWA for half the pay, and according to 4C they'll then legalise gay marriage </sarcasm + crap joke>

Serious question though: If Kearns still has a manager, which I'd assume not because he's a member of staff, would he take his cut?

Razor

Coach
I don't want to ruin a good story, but isn't there a minimumplayer payment of about $40 000 ??

The minimum for their full-time squad (the clubs top 25) is $37,500. But players not in the top 25 can be paid anything.

Latest posts