What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at new car - Volkswagen GTI?

Dragon2010

First Grade
Hi all,

Long story short. I currently have a car that is serving me fine (I guess). Bit of damage etc. But it's a V6 and a bit fuel hungry at times. Also, a bit to big for my liking at times. I'm going overseas for a year, so I'm looking to sell the car off.

When I get back, I want to buy a new car. Basically, I want something with a 1.4L-2.0L engine with a turbo. Something like the Volkswagen GTI's.

What are peoples opinions on these cars or something similar? I want something that is stylish, nice to drive but also good on fuel and packs a bit of speed if needed. Sick of driving the larger style sedans etc.

Lambretta

First Grade
Depends on your budget and if you're buying new or used etc, how many ks you drive and the type of driving you do

The Golf GTI is an amazing car and few will match it for all round performance
It's combination of build quality, fuel economy, power et are hard to match

Others come close on a slightly lower budget most notably the Focus and Fiesta STs
The new WRX is also great buy high fuel economy is an Achilles heel

The Toyota 86 is also a brilliant car and one of the most fun and engaging drives you will ever have in the corners, but a lack of practicality means it's not for everyone.

Before you laugh at me for recommending the Fiesta ST read the reviews. Yeah it's a bit small and possibly girly but almost every car journo who has test drove one has bought one. I can't think of a better recommendation than that.

If you do a lot of ks the Golf GTD would be right at the top of my list btw. If pure sports fun and nuttiness is at the top of your list try the Renault Megane cup. But the servicing costs and depreciation may catch you out long term.

I would also test drive the Kia Pro'Ceed GT and Hyundai Veloster Turbo for cheaper options with some good bang for your buck. Styling not to everyone's taste but I like them

Last edited:

Latest posts