What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower Grade Teams

greeneyed

First Grade
NSWRL Teams Named for Round 20
21/07/04: The Fone Zone Canberra Raiders Premier league side will be looking to bounce back into the winners circle this Sunday against the Balmain Tigers at Canberra Stadium, after going down and consequently losing their top four position to the St Marys Penrith Cougars last week.

Jason Bulgarelli will take his place in the centres for the clash, with Steve Franciscus moving to the wing and Adrian Purtell back to Jersey Flegg.

Jamie Russo has been named at halfback, while captain Mark Bryant has been named on the bench, with Alan Rothery and Darren Porter both starting in the pack.

In Jersey Flegg, the Raiders finals tightrope walk continues, after another round of favourable results has kept them in the hunt for a top 8 spot.

After going down to the Panthers last weekend, they face another big task this weekend against the Tigers, who are currently in third position on the competition ladder.

Fone Zone Canberra Raiders v Balmain Tigers

NSWRL Premier League Round 20
1.10pm, Sunday 25 July, 2004
Canberra Stadium

Coach: Wayne Collins

1 Marshall Chalk
2 Steve Franciscus
3 Jason Bulgarelli
4 Beau Mundine
5 David Milne
6 Nick Kouparitsas
7 Jamie Russo

13 Josh Miller
12 Tyran Smith
11 Alan Rothery
10 Michael Weyman
9 Jarred Lawrence
8 Darren Porter

14 Glen Buttriss
15 Kris Kahler
16 Mark Bryant
17 Alex Blayden
18 Mark Henry

Fone Zone Canberra Raiders v Balmain Tigers

NSWRL Jersey Flegg Round 20
11.30am, Sunday 25 July, 2004
Canberra Stadium

Coach: Dave Hamilton

1 Jade Williams
2 Jason Moon
3 Luke Gray
4 Adrian Purtell
5 Nick Fredericks
6 William Zillman
7 Michael Dobson

13 Matt Wallace
12 Jarvis Shepherd
11 Steve McLean
10 Willie Raston
9 Luke Jay
8 Ryan Barton

Interchange
14 Cy Lasscock
15 Keiran Whalley
16 Joe Picker
17 James Herbert
18 Scott Smith
19 Brenton Lawrence
20 Kane Morgan
21 Damien Major

Anonymous

Juniors
Hows Chalk been going? He was a fringe first grader at the start of the season and now he's completely left calculations.

No offence Timbo, but how was he ever a fringe first grader? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but he'll never get a chance in first grade with Schif there, and even if Schif got injured, I'm sure Matty would use Mogg or Gaf at the back.

woodgers

Bench
Is Bryant injured Ballboy. Surely your captain doesn't go to the bench unless he is not right.

Kris_man

Bench
- Wow, that looks like a damn strong team. I'd like to see those guys play against our first grade team. I think the only difference would be McLinden and Davico.
- Can people stop being bitchy about Russo? Watching a Souths game last year, the guy struck me as having a good kicking game. Maybe he was just having a good day, I don't know.

Raider Azz

Bench
Wow, that looks like a damn strong team. I'd like to see those guys play against our first grade team. I think the only difference would be McLinden and Davico.

Are you serious? Or are you on crack? Let's line both these teams up together, shall we.

1 Marshall Chalk vs. Clinton Schifcofske - no contest, Shif by a mile (although Chalky is still a great player, just not up to Shif's standard just yet)
2 Steve Franciscus vs. Nathan Smith - this ones a little closer, although I would still take Smith over PNG Steve by current form
3 Jason Bulgarelli vs. Adam Mogg - :lol: We all know the answer to this one.
4 Beau Mundine vs. Joel Monaghan - although Mundine is a great talent, Mongahan, whilst not being in form the last 2 weeks, still takes it easily
5 David Milne vs. Michael Robertson - Robbo fo sho
6 Nick Kouparitsas vs. Matthew Gafa - Gafa's another player whose been in great form and his goal kicking also helps
7 Jamie Russo vs. Mark McLinden - You already said McLinden
8 Darren Porter vs. Ryan O'Hara - Hmm, let's see, a State of Origin rep or a relatively unknown talent?
9 Jarred Lawrence vs. Simon Woolford - Woolford, obviously
10 Michael Weyman vs. Luke Davico - You already said Davico
11 Alan Rothery vs. Ruben Wiki - Rothery is a great up and comer, but you'd have to give it to Wiki by a mile for obvious reasons
12 Tyran Smith vs. Ian Hindmarsh - Smith is a great player but is only just back from injury and I'd take Hindy over him any day.
13 Josh Miller vs. Jason Croker - Croker, of course, especially with how he's been playing lately.

After seeing that, how you could say the only difference would be Davico and McLinden #-o

thickos

First Grade
Fair call Azz but I'm going to stick up for kris_man on this one. PL play a completely different style to us, attacking, lots of runners in motion, they mix it up a lot. The PL forward pack is awesome and would hold their own, despite not having the 'stars' of first grade. Put Todd Carney in the PL team and that helps heaps too.

I think experience would get the first graders home but it would be an interesting game.

Raider Azz

Bench
I understand what you're saying thickos but the understanding I got from kris_man's post is that Davico and McLinden are the only players to have anything over the PL side? Surely, like mike said, the reason they are in 1st grade is because they are better players?

I don't argue about there being some great talent in our PL side though.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Russo at halfback?!?

Dont think he'll b startin halfback tho coz we all no elliott will drop carney before 1st grade if theres no injuries....its jst a question of who will go where? Will the halves be Russo and Carney and who will b 5/8, who will b halfback??

Latest posts