What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt need a drug test

Utey

Coach
Everyone was talking about it, and I caught it on the Roast. What a fine kick. Still doesn't compare to Hazem at Shark Park last year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
Everyone was talking about it, and I caught it on the Roast. What a fine kick. Still doesn't compare to Hazem at Shark Park last year.

what were the conditions like with that kick??

Utey

Coach
Don't you remember? We had a chat about it ages ago.

It was gale force, he kicked it towards the middle of the field from the sideline and he split the goalposts in half. It was the day the screen rolled because it was so windy.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I thought the Burt V Hayne at fullback was answered with Jarryds try yesterday. More and more fullbacks are becoming ballplayers that chime in from the back and create for there teams. I just couldn't see Jarryd throwing a ball to the winger like Burt did. He simply has more strings in the bow than Jarryd in terms of his fullback ability. Also, for those who are watching Premier League I wish they would swap Lett and Reddy. Lett's positioning yesterday was awful, so many kicks that I think Reddy would have caught on the full hit the ground. And Reddy is better when he comes in from the back as a support runner.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
Don't you remember? We had a chat about it ages ago.

It was gale force, he kicked it towards the middle of the field from the sideline and he split the goalposts in half. It was the day the screen rolled because it was so windy.

vaguely, but Witts kick was also in terrible conditions wind and rain..the works.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
I thought the Burt V Hayne at fullback was answered with Jarryds try yesterday. More and more fullbacks are becoming ballplayers that chime in from the back and create for there teams. I just couldn't see Jarryd throwing a ball to the winger like Burt did. He simply has more strings in the bow than Jarryd in terms of his fullback ability. Also, for those who are watching Premier League I wish they would swap Lett and Reddy. Lett's positioning yesterday was awful, so many kicks that I think Reddy would have caught on the full hit the ground. And Reddy is better when he comes in from the back as a support runner.

we won't have to worry about Lett anymore..;-)

eels_fan_01

Bench
Phillips said:
his form has been very good.

although i still would have prefered we kept McKinnon

Although i was disappointed they let Mckinnon go at the time and still think he is a quality player if you compare Mckinnons and Burts form this year, its no contest. Burt is definately developing into one of the best fullbacks in the NRL.

Utey

Coach
Wade was no playmaker. He was a great support player and kick returner, but you can't match what Burt is doing atm. He is like an extra halfback.

dazeely

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
He has been selected in one position and is staying there. He also knows Hayne will be moving into the FB role if he doesn't perform ;-)

BS used him as his go to man and was moved from fullback to center to wing. Bet BS would have moved Burt to centre this year to cover for Tahu's injury instead of blooding Inu and letting Burt settle in.

Bigfella

Coach
The other thing about Burt is that he has the awareness of what his teammates are doing / thinking / trying.

When Eric throws the miracle offload under pressure, Burty takes it and scoots for 20 to relieve massive pressure; same when jarrod throws a ball in-goal under pressure, or Inu or Mateo try something.

His presence has been turning potential bad plays into strong ones. Some of them are only little things but they make a massive difference.

He is a massive part in the reason why our offload count has risen so dramatically.

Having said that, he was poor on a couple of big plays yesterday, but stepped up again when the game was in the balance.

Utey

Coach
His work behind the line too is great. Wade was definitely nowhere near as vocal as Burt was. And his teammates listen. His positional play has been outstanding.

emjaycee

Coach
If Burt was to get injured (heaven forbid) why would we switch Hayne to fullback when we have the incumbent NZ fullback in the centres and T is due back?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
Reddy to fullback, David Williams to centre and Zac Russ to step up?

if we had to promote a fleggie, I would lean towards Tapa to step up, I still think Zac lacks a bit of size for that grade.

fish eel

Immortal
On Witt's kick. He did that a few times for us....once in a big come from behind win against the cowboys.

Burt's kick was a ripper, whilst there was still a bit of time to play, to get in front was huge. I also recall Burty landing a ripper from the same touchline, kicking at the other end of the field late in a match v the northern eagles.