What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Douglas NO TRY

Thomo.

First Grade
for the people who watched on tv or listened, what was the reason behind the ruling of the no try in the douglas try.

my memory is a little hazy and have no commentary/sports ears. i won't be seeing a replay.

when i spoke to him he was confident he scored:)

thanks

No the video ref ruled he grounded the ball short.

Shane Hane who was in good position had an opinion on the play. I reckon it should have been a refs call. The video was inconclusive, but it seemed the ball hit the line and then Douglas was forced back.

Thomo.

First Grade
wasn't the view for the video ref pretty obscured. from the sketchy memory...we couldn't see much on the big screen. video ref sees the same pics don't they

or do they have extra angles

Thomo.

First Grade
Sheros los Deros said:
I reckon it should have been a refs call. The video was inconclusive, but it seemed the ball hit the line and then Douglas was forced back.

same about refs call, i remeber saying that to some bloke next to me.

douglas indicated he saw the ball touch the line in all that mess. oh well

Inferno

Coach
nah, both angles they had were crappy. In this case it should have been thrown back to hayne because it wasn't whether or not he was short or not, that Hayne was checking.

Whats the go with the tackling in mid-air thing?

I was watching a game over the weekend and someone got caught in mid-air and the ref called "attacking player" then one of the commentators mentioned something about it being okay to tackle an attacking player in mid-air. wtf?

Thomo.

First Grade
Inferno said:
nah, both angles they had were crappy. In this case it should have been thrown back to hayne because it wasn't whether or not he was short or not, that Hayne was checking.

Whats the go with the tackling in mid-air thing?

I was watching a game over the weekend and someone got caught in mid-air and the ref called "attacking player" then one of the commentators mentioned something about it being okay to tackle an attacking player in mid-air. wtf?

was that colin best in the dragons game?
:?

i still think certain areas of the game and running of the game are inconsistent

STEVE R

Juniors
Yeah, that came about because if an attacking player caught the ball (eg, from a bomb) near the try line, it was basically a guarenteed try. Being able to tackle them in mid air gives the defending team some chance of stopping the try. Doesn't make sense, the rule was brought in due to safety concerns. For mine, if it's good enough that you can tackle an attacker in mid air, why can't you smash the oppositions fullback in mid air if you put up a bomb? Another stupid inconsistent rule.

STEVE R

Juniors
The Douglas "no try" was strange. Hayne clearly said "I have an opinion" and "I know where he ended up" when asking the video ref for help.

Just on that too, Chris Ward seems to like making his decision VERY quickly. 1 replay and he's made up his mind. I'd like to see him look a bit harder. He missed some fairly dubious things on some of those replays.

Inferno

Coach
cheers for cleaning that up Steve R.

It wasn't Best last year that I was talking about but I did wonder how that wasn't pulled up at the time as well.

Jesus though, the go on and on about safety these days and then they allow you tackle blokes in mid-air.

Does it only apply to people who catch it on the full or any attacking player leaping for the ball?

Jimako

Juniors
That was right in front of us, it looked like he may have hit the chalk & pushed back but whats worse is that Hayne was virtually over the top of it but has no balls 2 make a decision, his eyes must be painted on.

imasharkie

Coach
It looked like the ball touched the line and then forced back. By the way Hayne spoke to video ref he was confident it was a try.

Thomo.

First Grade
imasharkie said:
It looked like the ball touched the line and then forced back. By the way Hayne spoke to video ref he was confident it was a try.

if thats true ima...f*ck me...i'm slowly getting the sh*ts with the quality of so called "decision makers". i understand i have to respect them and and they are under heaps of pressure...week in and week out,punters are debating calls in the stands, monday morning at work...geeeeeeezus!

Dread

Juniors
I got the feeling Hayne thought it was no try. He said 'I saw where it ended up' - meaning he saw that the end result was that the ball wasn't on or over the line. He went to the video to see if the ball had gotten over the line before that.

F*ck Hayne. The Parramatta debacle still irks me and he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Shark Park. I wasn't at the game, did everyone give him heaps?

Thomo.

First Grade
unfortunately no. many sharks fans are too nice!

i was just too worried about our own team winning the game