What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Keary

ram raid

Bench
I'm of the view that Madge has just been working with what he has available. Yes he's a highly structured coach, but i think he's aware Souths need more flare in their backline, as evidenced by Keary and Reynolds as the first choice at the start of the year, and then Walker and Reynolds. Sutton has proved the best option so far. The purchase of Cody Walker is also evidence the club knows that Sutton & Reynolds is not an optimal halves pairing.

souths_pride

Juniors
I'm of the view that Madge has just been working with what he has available. Yes he's a highly structured coach, but i think he's aware Souths need more flare in their backline, as evidenced by Keary and Reynolds as the first choice at the start of the year, and then Walker and Reynolds. Sutton has proved the best option so far. The purchase of Cody Walker is also evidence the club knows that Sutton & Reynolds is not an optimal halves pairing.

I'm with you on that one mate! The thing is with the advent of the salary cap and the way that its setup with player talent supposedly meant to be evened out across clubs, gone are the days where your going to have a team like a 1990s Canberra or Brisbane where they have a star studded line up 1-17. Every team in the comp has weaknesses and what I would call 'squad players'! Therefore, each team in the competition invests there money differently in terms of star players. For instance, Manly places a high emphasis on keeping Brett Stewart and their two halves and building their team around them. Souths have chosen to spend a large chunk of their salary cap on highly talent forwards. Melbourne, has invested the majority of their salary cap in their spine. In other words, there is more than one way to skin a cat! So I think its unfair to criticize Madge in saying that his teams don't play with enough flair. When he came to Souths, he inherited a team with highly talented forwards and set the team up to utilise the strengths of those players.

hurricane57

Juniors
I'm with you on that one mate! The thing is with the advent of the salary cap and the way that its setup with player talent supposedly meant to be evened out across clubs, gone are the days where your going to have a team like a 1990s Canberra or Brisbane where they have a star studded line up 1-17. Every team in the comp has weaknesses and what I would call 'squad players'! Therefore, each team in the competition invests there money differently in terms of star players. For instance, Manly places a high emphasis on keeping Brett Stewart and their two halves and building their team around them. Souths have chosen to spend a large chunk of their salary cap on highly talent forwards. Melbourne, has invested the majority of their salary cap in their spine. In other words, there is more than one way to skin a cat! So I think its unfair to criticize Madge in saying that his teams don't play with enough flair. When he came to Souths, he inherited a team with highly talented forwards and set the team up to utilise the strengths of those players.

Can't really argue with you if you are going to use logic and common-sense.

souths_pride

Juniors
Imagine if we still had Mansour on the wing, still gutted that he didn't get a crack at first grade for the bunnies (glad he is plying well at the panthers though).
Agreed! He was one who must have slipped under the radar! But hey...it happens and you can't keep them all!

doyen

Bench
Can't really argue with you if you are going to use logic and common-sense.

The fact is that our method of skinning the cat has failed fairly dramatically under the blow-torch in the past 2 yrs.

This was because very good,tough defensive sides like Manly & the Roosters stuck it real hard to our big,young forwards who capitulated in a cream-puff fashion.
Thankfully these forwards now have another season under their belt & also the experience of final's footy.It's all right to run roughshod over weaker,depleted opposition in the home & away games but the real test comes against the very best in the fiery furnace under severe pressure.

My greatest hope has arisen with our new halves combo & the fact that they will have 5 or 6 games to develop it before September!!This will give us greater options if Plan A fails to materialise with the desired result.

My biggest fear is that Maguire will opt for JS at 5/8 on his return from injury.This would be a bad call,IMO,for this season, & also next year & beyond!!

I truly believe that Keary has Plan B & C in his back pocket & backed up by the skill & ability to execute them.
But even if we fail again to win the p/ship the experience gained by our young brigade will stand them in good stead for the future.

souths_pride

Juniors
The fact is that our method of skinning the cat has failed fairly dramatically under the blow-torch in the past 2 yrs.

This was because very good,tough defensive sides like Manly & the Roosters stuck it real hard to our big,young forwards who capitulated in a cream-puff fashion.
Thankfully these forwards now have another season under their belt & also the experience of final's footy.

Thats what it comes down to - finals footy experience! Its a different kind of football! How many players in our team from the last two years had played finals footy before? I'm not sure off the top of my head but it can't have been that many and if they have it was probably a long time ago or they hadn't played that many games. In saying that we are without doubt capable of beating sides like Manly and the Roosters! Remember we beat Manly both times in the regular season last year and we did beat the Roosters as well!

Simplicity is Key for Keary

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Wed 6th August, 04:52PM
A A
Rabbitohs five-eighth, Luke Keary, has shown plenty of maturity on the pitch in just 14 first grade games, and according to the young play-maker, it all comes down to not over-playing his hand.
Now a starter in the absence of injured Captain and five-eighth, John Sutton, Keary is conscious of being over exuberant, instead opting to slot into the Rabbitohs’ line-up alongside halfback and good mate, Adam Reynolds.
“I don’t want to come in and over-play my hand,” said Keary.
“Halves can tend to come in and do that sometimes and wreck it a bit for the team. But I’m pretty conscious of that and I’m just working hard with Madge (Michael Maguire) and Reyno (Adam Reynolds).”
Coming off three consecutive wins, Keary and his side will come up against one of their biggest challenges yet this Friday night at the Sydney Cricket Ground, when they take on the first-placed Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in a top of the table blockbuster.
Asked what the play-maker thinks it will take to knock over the Sea Eagles, Keary’s response is ‘simplicity’.
“I think it’s just simple footy,” said Keary.
“We’ve got a pretty big pack there, so we’ll try to use them and not try to over-use them – just keep it nice and simple, get our kicks right and energy around the ball.
“It’s going to be a pretty big game for us. They’re travelling pretty red-hot at the moment, it’s at the SCG too – I haven’t gotten to play there – so I’m pretty excited to have a run around there.”
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/08/06/simplicity_is_key_for_keary.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well Luke Keary proved himself tonight. Bloody fantastic! He was superb in defence 30 tackles our highest tackle maker! Manly tried to bait him but it didn't phase him at all. He just proved he's up for the tough stuff. His attack, unpredictability with what he's gonna do and his kicking game. Lets hope he continues to build his match fitness and I'm sure he will only get better leading into finals.

Adam is also playing great and just playing his game. Both our halves have great defence and look like they won't let us down.

Big Sam

First Grade
Loved the niggle with Lyon as well. Held his own.

I said after the Nines if we could be in the Top 4 when he returned, we'd be in a good position. Very happy to see that's the case.

The Chello

Juniors
The side works very well together in defence. Rare to see many missed tackles in a game. Their goal line defence especially was impressive.

southsport

First Grade
The side works very well together in defence. Rare to see many missed tackles in a game. Their goal line defence especially was impressive.

I liked the energy they had in defence late in the game, it was just as ferocious as it was at the start.

ram raid

Bench

Thankfully these forwards now have another season under their belt & also the experience of final's footy.It's all right to run roughshod over weaker,depleted opposition in the home & away games but the real test comes against the very best in the fiery furnace under severe pressure.

My greatest hope has arisen with our new halves combo & the fact that they will have 5 or 6 games to develop it before September!!This will give us greater options if Plan A fails to materialise with the desired result.

My biggest fear is that Maguire will opt for JS at 5/8 on his return from injury.This would be a bad call,IMO,for this season, & also next year & beyond!!

I truly believe that Keary has Plan B & C in his back pocket & backed up by the skill & ability to execute them.
But even if we fail again to win the p/ship the experience gained by our young brigade will stand them in good stead for the future.

Absolutely. Keary is what Souths have been needing. And AJ and walker have been some nice fresh air too. Souths are in a perfect spot. They are better off without Sutton, Crazy as that might seem. I think GI is a more inspiring captain.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Absolutely. Keary is what Souths have been needing. And AJ and walker have been some nice fresh air too. Souths are in a perfect spot. They are better off without Sutton, Crazy as that might seem. I think GI is a more inspiring captain.

The sad thing is that's what i somewhat agree with.

No idea where we're gonna fit Sutton, but i think GI should keep the captaincy.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would prefer Sam to stay at lock and not moved to the front row when Sutton returns.
I hope Madge puts Sutton in the back row with Te'o. Then our bench could be Turner, McQueen, Clark and Tom with Lowe and Luke Burgess on standby.

Lets hope when Sutton comes back he just runs the ball hard and tries to get the occasional offload away we don't want him to interfere in the halves.

ram raid

Bench
The thing with Sutton is he made the backline too slow. So it slowed down the outside backs and made all the backline movements too simple. Sure, he made up for it in other ways, but it doesn't really compensate for what's been missing---A real backline that doesn't have a ballplaying forward at 5/8. Madge should just make GI and Sutton co-captains or something. Sutton doesn't deserve to be shafted. But GI needs to be given more leadership. He's a confidence player. The more responsibility he has the more souths will kick ass.

Latest posts