What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke O'Donnell

oro

Juniors
He's played very well this year for the Cowboys. I don't think there is any doubt about the positive influence that Junior, Blocker and Dan Stains had on his development. It's a shame Tiger fans are not going to enjoy his best football.

Success has much to do with recruitment and retention decisions! Graham for O'Donnell?

tiger78

Juniors
hindsight my friend is a wonderful thing.... although I must admit I was never a fan of Luke's he has had his best season since 2000. My criticism of him is that sometimes he "goes missing" in some games.

# 8

Juniors
tiger78 said:
hindsight my friend is a wonderful thing.... although I must admit I was never a fan of Luke's he has had his best season since 2000. My criticism of him is that sometimes he "goes missing" in some games.
Must be watching a different game, havn't seen him go missing this year.
One of the buys of the year.

Gus22

Juniors
Luke always had the talent but lacked dicipline. He spent the majority of his last two years with Wests either suspended or injured. He was always going to be a very good player if he could control his aggression & stay healthy.

With the benefit of hindsight you'd say it was a mistake, but I can't blame Wests for letting him go. At the time he represented a risk which Wests deemed not worth taking. NQ punted on him & appear (for the time being), gto have come up trumps. Just remember though, that he had a great rookie year for us before it started going pear shaped.

Willie Manu was another player considered talented but a risky commodity due to dicipline issues. Again Wests deemed the risk too great & parted company. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Souths, so I guess you chalk that one up as a good call. That's the way it goes - you win some, you lose some.

On a personal note, I hope Odonnell realises his potential, even though it won't be playing for Wests, because one thing I couldn't question when playing for us was his commitment.

axl rose

Bench
Just a classic case of someone who needed a change of scenery and a bit of luck with injuries, much like Hodgo. Hes playing his best footy ever but he definitely went missing in games for us ( he had a lot of friends though)

Our two former Balmain golden boys there at the Cowboys now! how dare they :p

innsaneink

Referee
oro said:
He's played very well this year for the Cowboys. I don't think there is any doubt about the positive influence that Junior, Blocker and Dan Stains had on his development. It's a shame Tiger fans are not going to enjoy his best football.

Success has much to do with recruitment and retention decisions! Graham for O'Donnell?

Yeah retention and recruitment can be like gambling too.
Hindsight, aint it grand.

Terry Hill, Troy Wozniak, Mark O'Halloran, Corey P etc etc.

Vicious

Bench
innsaneink said:
oro said:

Yeah retention and recruitment can be like gambling too.
Hindsight, aint it grand.

Terry Hill, Troy Wozniak, Mark O'Halloran, Corey P etc etc.
Nether the less,it was extremely poor decision making to let Luke O`Donnell go in favour of signing 2 aging locks.Signing Sattler was fair enough,but to then go out and sign Graham also was rediculous considering both their ages and the fact that you only need 1 lock in a team.The back row that started the season consisting of Sattler,Graham and O`Neill would have to go down as one of the slowest back rows to have ever played top flight Rugby League since its conception!

tiger78

Juniors
Quite happy here in the Northern suburbs of Brisbane...too hot up there it does funny things to people's minds...just look at #8's posts :)

oro

Juniors
Gus22 said:
Luke always had the talent but lacked dicipline. He spent the majority of his last two years with Wests either suspended or injured. He was always going to be a very good player if he could control his aggression & stay healthy.

With the benefit of hindsight you'd say it was a mistake, but I can't blame Wests for letting him go. At the time he represented a risk which Wests deemed not worth taking. NQ punted on him & appear (for the time being), gto have come up trumps. Just remember though, that he had a great rookie year for us before it started going pear shaped.

Willie Manu was another player considered talented but a risky commodity due to dicipline issues. Again Wests deemed the risk too great & parted company. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Souths, so I guess you chalk that one up as a good call. That's the way it goes - you win some, you lose some.

On a personal note, I hope Odonnell realises his potential, even though it won't be playing for Wests, because one thing I couldn't question when playing for us was his commitment.

As I recall, Blocker had no doubts about O'Donnell even as the Tigers were preparing to let him go! How could the Tigers let one of the best leave?

O'Donnell provided the aggression and thrust the forwards missed all this year.

And a comparison to Manu is most unfair. Manu is not in the same class as O'Donnell.

yeah i dont know why anyone would let o'donnell go he may have been injured and suspended a lot but just cause he had some bad luck doesnt mean u should get rid of them
i knew it was a huge mistake to let him go what was the tigers thinking :roll: :evil:

# 8

Juniors
yappy said:
too hot up there it does funny things to people's minds...just look at #8's posts

That's not the heat, it's the Atherton Tableland's famous crop.
You got that right mate :D Great stuff.
Go the Cowboys and the Balmain Tigers.

Once Dead

Bench
Move on, this "I told you so" stuff is so easy to say when it comes to football players.....he doesn't play for us anymore, good luck to him, and well done for doing well with his new team.....its called chance, maybe if he stayed he would have crunched another player with his elbow and been out for another 12 weeks or maybe he would have done his knee again......see, we move on, not everything is guaranteed

westie

Bench
# 8 said:
yappy said:
too hot up there it does funny things to people's minds...just look at #8's posts

Correction. Your sellout team is now called the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers. Or something like that, its a hard name to remember.

innsaneink

Referee
westie said:
# 8 said:
yappy said:

Correction. Your sellout team is now called the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers. Or something like that, its a hard name to remember.

Here ya go westie....you'll be needing this.

shovel.jpg