What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Origin Player of the Series

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
This is a question on series... Not match.

For Series I would give it to Mini. Have a look at his stats. He made loads of metres and most of them occurred when it counted. King and Kennedy would have been close behind though.

Tonight:

3. King
2. Anasta
1. Kennedy

I gotta say, Anasta was outstanding tonight. Johns kicking game was a little off, but his passing game was brilliant.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Bailey was awesome. He came off the bench when our starting 6 were knackered - and carted it up like a demon allnight.Kennedy, likewise, was outstanding.

King deserved his praise though. Queensland couldn't handle him at all. It's rare that wingers have such an influence on a game - King had a huge game, and a great series.

However, as Willow says, unless the forwards go well, the halves and backs can't do their job.

Having said that, Queensland's forwards were not totally outclassed. Their halves were, though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Tommy Smith said:
Hey, whatever it takes to ensure you get it right.

Atleast two of Johns, King and Mini had to surely get amongst the points.

Bailey and Kennedy i'll accept, but Anasta wasnt up there with the likes of Johns...he was good, but certainly not better.
Do I take that as a 'no'? :lol:
I figured as much.

Now listen up clueless, if you read the full match report I'm sure you'll be a happier chappy - there is more and your fancy show ponies up the back also get a nice write up.

Full time: NSW 32-10
NSW have won the 2005 State of Origin series, coming back from 1-0 down.
The Brisbane crowd are stunned by the scoreline but the Queensanders were simply outplayed by a bigger, smarter, and fitter Blues outfit.
Queensland's best tonight included forward Danny Nutley who was playing in his first Origin match, working hard in defence and continually carting the ball up.
NSW had a gallery of stars. Andrew Johns will get a few wraps and Minnichiello is another favourite in the backs, but its clear the foundation to victory was laid from up front on the back of a tremendous defensive effort. Skipper and hooker Danny Buderus led a fine pack with prop Luke Bailey being a stand out in a champion side. Other standouts in the forwards include Ben Kennedy, Nathan Hindmarsh and Jason Ryles who all did an enormous amount of work as did five eighth Braith Anasta.

I feel sorry for the backs sometimes. It must be a little embarassing for a winger to be hailed a champion when he knows the hard yards were done in the middle of the park.

Don't get me wrong, I thought King had a great match and deserves praise. But he did what was expected of him on the back of the go-forward from those who were busting their sholuders.

gregstar

Referee
king had a better game in origin two where he saved tries

all he had to do tonight was catch the ball and to score tries - good on him though

Willow

Assistant Moderator
PARRA_FAN said:
BK man of the series IMO.
Lets just get this straight and make sure you're talking about Ben Kennedy and not Brett Kimmorley. ;-)
Poor Brett.

gaterooze

Bench
For mine, blues-wise it'd be a tie between King & Kennedy, with Johns just behind them. Mini and Hindmarsh were good all series too.

Nullajet

Juniors
I dont see how a back can win it when the forwards are the basis for such a win...for mine Hindmarsh did the most to deserve the player of the series.....geez, how many tackles and hit ups does a bloke have to do? and then see a fullback get the award!!

I think it should be a rare occurance for a back to get an award when you consider what forwards have to do and that without a decent forwards game no backs can be effective!

If choosing a back, for mine KING!!!

thuganomics

Coach
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I gotta say, Anasta was outstanding tonight. Johns kicking game was a little off, but his passing game was brilliant.

Didn't think his kicking was bad considering they were gunning for him. Nice moev making Anasta taking most of the early kicks.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
thuganomics said:
Didn't think his kicking was bad considering they were gunning for him. Nice moev making Anasta taking most of the early kicks.

On reflection a bit, his kicks were wayward, but it was more from poor passing at dummy half that let the defence get on him too quickly. Still, his kicking game was miles better in game 2.