What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon on offer to Saints (and Raiders)

GreenGuy

Lyon on offer to Saints
By James Hooper
August 14, 2004

RUNAWAY Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon is being shopped around to rival NRL clubs at an asking price of $300,000 a season with both St George Illawarra and Canberra approached to sign the former Test star.

Lyon has rotated through three managers five times in the course of the past month with his uncle and former Penrith player Mick Smith currently looking after his affairs.

Smith is understood to have sounded out Dragons coach Nathan Brown along with officials in Canberra about Lyon joining their organisations in 2005.

St George Illawarra are yet to officially approach Parramatta about the potential switch, which would come with a $150,000 release fee to be paid to the Eels, while the Raiders have been in contact with Denis Fitzgerald.

The amount of money Lyon is seeking combined with the release fee from Parramatta would mean his next club has to pay about $750,000 to get him on a two-year deal.

Canberra were understood to be interested when contacted by Smith a fortnight ago but have heard nothing since and are far from confident about luring Lyon.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce has also confirmed the joint venture has registered interest in the one-time NSW Origin flyer, who is now playing in the Group 4 country rugby league competition with Wee Waa.

"I rang Parramatta and Denis Fitzgerald told me he was happy for us to talk to him but he's swapped managers a couple of times so he's been hard to get hold of," Noyce said.

"I don't think at this stage there will be anything happening."

Parramatta chief executive Fitzgerald also granted Penrith permission to talk with Lyon but has so far refused Manly the same privilege.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummings contacted Fitzgerald over the matter last week but was told the northern peninsula club would not be allowed to open talks.

Lyon has changed managers on numerous occasions over the past month swapping from Allan Gainey to his uncle Smith, then to Wayne Beavis, back to Gainey and back to Smith again.

He was with Beavis for only three days.

Under the terms of his contract with Parramatta, Lyon has to give Gainey, his manager at the time he signed the deal, 6.5 per cent of any earnings he makes until the contract ends in October 2006.

This means Gainey is entitled to seek a portion of Lyon's earnings should he switch clubs even though he is no longer his manager.

Lyon walked out on Parramatta after just one game this season citing homesickness but a letter signed by him began to circulate shortly after claiming he left because he wasn't enjoying his football.

He returned to the Eels after a month to visit some teammates where half a dozen senior players from Parramatta asked him to explain what was going on in his head.

It is understood the players asked Lyon to look them in the eye and tell them his leaving Parramatta had nothing to do with coach Brian Smith.

The Daily Telegraph

hrundi99

First Grade
I can't imagine the Raiders have budgeted for an extra payment of $450k...

If they'd known about it 2 months ago then maybe they could have done something. I'd actually like to see no-one make him an offer, as I think he's asking a bit much.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Considering he is a bit unexperienced now...we'd have to spend alot of time training him hard again. Wee Waa isn't exactly NRL Standards, It's Like PL. Ain't that right Greeneyed... :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
but fitness is something you can train
class is not and thats something lyon has in the tank, he would potential take us from pretender to contender IMO

Raiders 2004 said:
Considering he is a bit unexperienced now...we'd have to spend alot of time training him hard again. Wee Waa isn't exactly NRL Standards, It's Like PL. Ain't that right Greeneyed... :lol:

:lol:

That's a bloody lot of money to pay for him though. I'll be delighted if we sign him, but realistically if we do, it could turn out to be worse for the club long-term when it's time to re-sign our off-contract stars.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raiders 2004 said:
So one person can win it for us? It's not a team effort anymore? I don't want us to become a one man team.

im not saying that but currently we have a top forward pack, with carney, simth and mclinden the halves look better and our backline is OK but it lacks someone who opposition fear, someone that they will be worried about. that man is lyon, weather he scores them is irrelevent the attention he would attract by defenders would allow those around him that little bit extra time and space to work some magic

and you cant coach talent into someone, thats a gift and lyon is one of the most gifted footy players of this era

Raider_69

Post Whore
exactly Edwahu

if we offer monnas 250 then lyon is worth atleast 350
that fact he is only asking for 300 and we SHOULD easily have that is a lucky stroke we should take advantage of

hrundi99

First Grade
We either can or we can't. Given the NRL has told the clubs they have to spend $3m and we have already signed a number of players, I seriously doubt we have that much room.

greeneyed

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:

No 1.... this guy is YOUNG, and not long ago played for Australia. Of course playing for WeeWaa is nothing like Premier League. But he is obviously talented - bit overrated I thought personally - but he is the sort of classy player we need. The only issue might be his desire and determination.

And about ESL.... I would be very happy if we signed say, Fielden, out of the ESL. Young players out of ESL have an opportunity to come up to NRL speed, if they are talented. Only WE are signing players who are well over 30, injury prone, and LEFT the NRL a few years ago as it was getting a bit too much for them THEN! I don't mind RETAINING older players, provided we don't have to pay over the mark, but actually going out and BUYING them.... flawed strategy. Completely flawed.

Kris_man

Bench
i agree with greeneyed - a lil overrated, but still worth 300K. To quote edawahu, "Fit him in". Maybe now, we are starting to regret signing those oldies from ESL, who may cost us Lyon. :?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Lyon is worth every penny. Like some of you said it's a fair asking price considering Monaghan's pay cheque. Lyon is a NSW and Australian rep, Monaghan trained with country once. Lyon was probably the games premier centre 2 years ago he is probably worth more than 300.

azza

Juniors
greeneyed - you argue the point alot better (rather than using stupid pictures) and I must say that although I think 300K is a bit much, he would definitely be worth having a good run at. But didn't Hawkins the genius CEO say he wasn't going to pursue Lyon (maybe that was a bluff)?

aussies1st

Staff member
If our officials have contacted parra about lyon we must have some cash free. And if we can't make the 300 grand this year why not just tell him we will top it up next year which would make the total 600 grand to him.

DJ Raida

Bench
i dont think hes worth 300k, nathan hindmarsh doesnt get that and hes got triple the impact that lyon has

Because Nathan Hindmarsh is thick as pig shit and signed a long term deal in 2001.

And Lyon is worth $300k at the least.

Latest posts