What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon puts boot into gb

WJ

Juniors
Lyon, recently returning from a stint in england with all star club saints helens, applied a further kick in the nuts to british rl, after being named in the kagaroos line up to face the poms on saturday.

When asked what he thought the difference was in skill levels he replied

''The difference is, the nrl is alot better than the super league. It's as simple as that. In the nrl the skill levels are higher, the intensity is higher, the defence harder. It's just an all round much better comp. No wonder these brit boys never win when they ply their trade in that, it's queensland cup standard.''

Lyon has been selected for the first time in 3 years for the kangaroos and he is relishing the oportunity

''Yeah it's great to get the oportunity, and in an easy match as well, i should be given plenty of room to impress and show my skills. Once we get this win out of the way we are assure of a finals place, and i can't see anyone stopping us. Especially not gb''

The two fierce rivals meet on saturday evening at aussie stadium.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Source? I'm just having a little trouble believing he actually said any of that - it's about as inflamatory as you can get.

Geohood

Bench
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Source? I'm just having a little trouble believing he actually said any of that - it's about as inflamatory as you can get.
Hes saying what he thinks is going in the mind of Jamie Lyon. :eek:

ali

Bench
There is no way he said that. Maybe the source was the Sun in England?

innsaneink

Referee
The poor grammar and spelling point to it being a gee up of pathetic proportions...sounds like a pom talking, eh WJ?

screeny

Bench
Maybe it's because we've not been over for a while, and the last two times we were over were a craven shambles (1999 Tri Series and 64-10), but I can't remember the Aussie public/press/players/coaches being more scathing about GB and simpy so downright rude.

f**kers, you're going to pay....

mattyg

Bench
How good would it be to do the double clean sweep on the pommies - Win both games of the tri nations, and all 5 games of the ashes. Nothing would please me more than that.

WJ

Juniors
innsaneink said:
The poor grammar and spelling point to it being a gee up of pathetic proportions...sounds like a pom talking, eh WJ?

Only a bunch of ocker baboons would be stupid enough to believe it.

dingalingbell

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20673020-23214,00.html

he seems to have a bit to say at the moment - these comments not quite in line with what else he is alleged to have said

DON'T be fooled by Sean Long's sluggish start to the Tri-Nations.
That's the red-letter warning from prodigal Australia centre Jamie Lyon, who this week anointed Long enemy No.1 ahead of Saturday night's clash at Aussie Stadium in Sydney.
Having played outside Long for the past two seasons at St Helens, Lyon has been in prime position to assess the threat posed by not only Great Britain's veteran No.7 but virtually the entire Lions squad.
Despite struggling for impact in the Lions' first-up loss to New Zealand on Saturday, 30-year-old Long is the man Lyon fears most.
"He will be the key to how they play and is definitely someone we've got to stop to win," Lyon said.

"A lot of games for St Helens he won for us on his own.
"But the biggest thing is that Longy hasn't played his best footy at international level yet. I know he can do it."
Criticised for directing his attack across rather than into the Kiwis, Long partly franked Lyon's evaluation with a silky chip-and-chase for Great Britain's second try.
Taking time out from a golfing sabbatical at Cypress Lakes in the Hunter Valley to rate the British, Lyon chose another former St Helens teammate as his second pick.
Voted 2006 Super League "man of steel", fullback Paul Wellens was the sheet anchor as Saints cruised to the coveted Premiership-Cup double.
"He actually led us from the back," Lyon said. "Wellens is not the quickest bloke in the comp but he's definitely the safest.
"I can remember every one-off mistake he made, because he doesn't really make them."
Lyon goes further afield for his next danger man - Leeds second rower Gareth Ellis, whom he describes as a beefed-up version of Aussie ball-playing forward Anthony Tupou.
"He's the same sort of player but even bigger," he said. "He definitely gives their pack that extra bit of spark."
Out wide, Lyon fears fellow right centre Martin Gleeson.
Although the pair rarely eyeballed one another when St Helens met Warrington, Lyon was in awe of Gleeson's footwork.
"Willie Talau rates him an extremely dangerous player to defend against," Lyon said.

"He's got a great right-foot step and he hits the holes really well off the halves. He is probably their most potent attacking weapon."
Impressing on debut in Christchurch, St Helens rake James Roby also earned a mention after defying his lack of size and experience to terrorise opponents this season.
Perhaps surprisingly he leaves Lions hardman Stuart Fielden - rated by some as the world's best prop - last.
"I'll throw Fielden in," he said.
"He goes and goes and goes and always adds that mongrel in defence. But because he plays so many minutes, it's hard for him to keep up the impact."
On the other side of the fence, as far as Great Britain firebrand Adrian Morley is concerned, the world's best player will still be wearing green and gold on Saturday night despite Andrew Johns's international retirement.
"Darren Lockyer is probably the best player in rugby league at the moment," Morley said.
For Morley, painful memories of how Lockyer single-handedly tore Great Britain apart in the 2004 Tri-Nations final are as fresh as those of the Australia skipper's white-hot form for Brisbane Broncos while winning the NRL premiership last month.
"He always seems to lift on these occasions and he's been a thorn in our side for years," Morley said.
To make matters worse for the underdogs, Morley also believes Australia now boasts another star who is almost impossible to negate.
"On his day Willie Mason is the most destructive backrower in the game. He can be close to unstoppable," Morley said.

"This year he became a lot more professional and seemed to cut out a lot of the off-field stuff that might have distracted him in the past."
By naming Mason as Australia's forward leader, Morley will no doubt be zeroing in on the Bulldogs enforcer.
"For such a big man, he's surprisingly quick. It's a pretty awesome combination," Morley said.
But while Morley might have Mason in his sights, the presence of omnipotent back rower Nathan Hindmarsh drives the Englishman mad.
"He always turns up, not only in defence but in support as well. He's everywhere," Morley said.
Morley predicted Mark Gasnier and new superstar Greg Inglis can singe the Lions.
"Not many people have the footwork of Mark Gasnier," he said. "Even if you have a couple of players mark up on him, he's hard to stop."
Ominously for the tournament's 20/1 outsiders, Morley says Australia will be far more dangerous should Dally M medallist Cameron Smith reproduce his club form on the big stage.
"He seems to be waiting for a chance to showcase his skills," Morley said of the Kangaroos hooker.

thatsold

Juniors
lucablight said:
Sean Long has a sluggish start, middle and end. Every single time.

You would know better than the guy who plays next to him every week.
How many ESL games have you seen?

Latest posts