What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic of Phil Blake

Life's Good

Coach
Was a bit young to remember how good he was at the Eagles. Remember him more at Souths and that 89 team.
He was good for us in 93. I remember going to games thinking we only had to stay in touch and somehow Blake would get us home from a chip & chase or magic footwork - he didn’t disappoint.
He was the ‘X’ factor well before the phrase was coined.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Nowadays that xfactor would be coached out of him or he'd be at superleague.

Only played 1 origin which surprises me.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wonder if changes like the interchange kill players in the style of Phil Blake. You just need one tired defender then whoosh, he's gone.

That first year of his was something else.

And good to see another ancient no longer used tactic - the chip and regather.

Stacey Jones was great at the chip and regather- quite possibly learned it from Phil.

MilkShark

First Grade
I wonder if changes like the interchange kill players in the style of Phil Blake. You just need one tired defender then whoosh, he's gone.

That first year of his was something else.

And good to see another ancient no longer used tactic - the chip and regather.
Of course the interchange killed them.

The boring game we watch nowadays is a direct result of this.

grouch

First Grade
I recall a chip n chase try he scored for St George in 1994 against the Roosters. The ball bounced within a metre of the dead ball line, back into his hands for the try. Insane ballsy genius.

Latest posts