What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maguire Might Not Choose Teddy This Year

Maximus

Coach
Picking on form alone is a recipe for disaster. You need experience and form. Ado Carr should have been the winger and Latrell Mitchell should be the centre in place of Sualii

How do players get origin experience if they can't be selected if they don't have experience?

I’ll give you 2:

IMO if players are choosing to leave the code they shouldn’t be rewarded with rep jerseys.

It’s also not like the experience he gains this series is going to help the Blues next year.

Maguire needs to worry about winning "this year". That's his remit, not "next year" for heaven's sake.

It certainly hasn't stopped Qld from picking players bound for union in the past (e.g. Brad Thorn)

mozza91

Coach
Edwards definitely deserves a shot but Tedesco is unlucky to miss out.

People are definitely over exaggerating when talking about his previous Origin performances. 95% of the time he’s been great and one of our best. Last year wasn’t his best series and he did overplay his hand. But he kind of had to because the halves and creative players we had did sfa.

A few selections I don't like but can live with.

One that is daft is Lomax. Yes he started the first 5-6 weeks on fire, but his last 2-3 weeks have been very poor. I wouldn't have had him in the side. I'd have had Suaali'i on the wing instead, as he does make some bad reads defensively at centre, and brought in someone like Burton to the centres.

In terms of goal kicking they do have options. Hynes would be the most obvious, but Crichton is a better than average goal kicker. Crichton has kicked 74 goals in the first grade career from 94 attempts, which is a 78.72% success rate. Also Edwards can kick considering he's had the goal kicking duties for the Panthers since Cleary went down injured. Whilst he might be in the extended squad, Matt Burton is a decent goal kicker too.

If NSW suffer an injury in the outside backs, I suspect Angus Crichton will be the one shifted out to the centres. The Roosters have used him there due to mid-game injuries a number of times, so I dare say he could adequately handle it, whilst Suaali'i, Lomax or even Stephen Crichton could be moved to cover an injury to Edwards.

yobbo84

Coach
Just as an interesting exercise... which side do you think is better?

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To'o
3. Stephen Crichton
4. Joseph Suaalii
5. Zac Lomax
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Jake Trbojevic (c)
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Haas
11. Liam Martin
12. Angus Crichton
13. Cameron McInness

14. Isaah Yeo
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Spencer Leniu
17. Hudson Young

OR

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Bradman Best
5. Jacob Kiraz
6. Cody Walker
7. Luke Keary
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Jacob Saifiti
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Dylan Walker

14. Matt Burton
15. Junior Paulo
16. Tyson Frizell
17. Jordan McLean

I think Madge's team would still win, but my point is despite the injury crisis there were still options aplenty.

Apey

Staff member
Maguire dropping Teddy was about the only good decision he made. Great service to NSW in the past but he's done.

Leaving Api out for serious plodders is laughable. Jake Trbo is basically there to be an unmovable boulder in defence, problem is that describes him with the ball in hand too.

Yeo on the bench in favour of McInness. Lol. Ok Freddy.

Swahahaleehee/Lomax aren't the best choices but not as bad as the others.

Danish

Referee
every fullback gets those metres

not at the same share of total metres that edwards does. Teddy gets 22% of his metres from kick returns. Walsh only 20%. Edwards? A whopping 46%.

When a fullback has a 200+m game, it says far more about how their forward pack defended than it does about the fullback.

similarly you’ll often see props with huge metre numbers… and then realise that their side scored a bunch of tries and forced a half dozen line dropouts so they got to rack up cheap metres on returns too.