What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maguire sees value in foreign loan deals

@MarTiger

Juniors
Maguire sees value in foreign loan deals

I love this idea and for the NRL to evolve and keep up with the modern day sporting world, I believe we need to explore it. There is reciprocal benefits to the club, player and the game as a whole on an international level. I'd love to see a young player from the Super League on the fringe loaned to a NRL club where his development would accelerate as opposed to "waiting for an opportunity" in the UK.

ash the bash

Juniors
I think it would be more working wise versa, young fringe players going over there to get some experience.

ShaneO85

Juniors
Works in European football because most comps take place in the EU and visas and the like are easy to deal with. Plus all in about the same time zones so easy enough for a player to move and settle within a short time frame. There are also a million competitions in which a player could get an opportunity. In RL there are only really 2 (NRL + SL) + 2 feeder comps worth the hassle (Q-Cup & NSWRL).

Would like to see more youngsters from PNG and France getting a chance to come to Aust. Even if they only play 20s or nsw cup it will still help them develop and take the skills back home

@MarTiger

Juniors
Would like to see more youngsters from PNG and France getting a chance to come to Aust. Even if they only play 20s or nsw cup it will still help them develop and take the skills back home

Agree. This idea isn't limited to Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Iomega the idea if its going to help international competition and improve other comps. My only question is will it happen?

@MarTiger

Juniors
Iomega the idea if its going to help international competition and improve other comps. My only question is will it happen?

The problem is it's only an "idea". You have one of the game's best thinkers in Gould endorsing it and has done for years. Couple that with one of the best young coaches in the game who has coached in the Super League and NRL - the NRL at the very least have to broach the subject with the RLIF. I can't see resistance from the other countries as it would help all.

redbacks back

Juniors
They have many tiers of competition over there so it can work. I doubt one of our guys would be interested in being loaned to a Bundaberg cup side, or if they cant cut it in the UK, how would they play anything more than reserve grade here....

BunniesMan

Immortal
We won't be loaning players from them. This is about our squad players going over to one of their non top tier teams. It won't be a Wigan or a Warrington loaning our players but the shit teams who are far off the pace and would be better with our fringe players.

The players get 1st grade experience, the shit teams get a little closer to the top teams. win win.

BunniesMan

Immortal
That would be a very rare scenario. From 1st to 16th NRL clubs are way too even. How often were bottom 4 teams matching top 4 teams last year. Loaning 1 meaningful player away could be enough to see that team pass you.

The only time you'd see a NRL-NRL loan would be with a player that is hurting his teams chemistry. Perhaps like Jennings last year.

90% of this would be fringe NRL players being loaned to the bottom half of the SL ladder.

Rainbow

Juniors
I agree but the article says that this system is used in the SL. It loans players to other clubs - not other overseas clubs.

eozsmiles

Bench

They already have the chance but they've got to get on a plane and try out for a club or scouts have to be in France and PNG scouting the kids. The loans in sports such as soccer are designed to get players onto teams where they can have an immediate effect. Nobody is taking an 18 year old on loan, paying his wages and playing him in reserve grade, then send him home again. That is basically called a scholarship. It would be good to see more overseas kids come over to learn but the Aussie clubs probably don't feel like they are getting much out of it.

The OP says it would be great to see fringe Superleague players come here to gain some experience. Australian clubs don't want fringe players from England, they send their fringe players over there. Aussie clubs want Burgess, Graham, and Lyon from England.

The loans would work much better the other way. Take a guy like Drinkwater at the Saints or Ryan Stig at the Knights. They look to have a bright future but are not in the first choice 17 right now. They could be loaned to a Superleague club and get some experience at senior level. The English club gets a quality young player and pays his wages and the Aussie club hopefully gets a more polished and experienced player 6-12 months later.
The obvious problem is that our game has such a high attrition rate and our rep season is smack bang in the middle of the comp. I couldn't imagine too many clubs wanting to loan out a top 25 player and I can't imagine an overseas club going to the trouble of loaning a third string player.

I don't mind the idea of loans but I am realistic about the chances. The RLPA don't like a draft or a trade and that is just moving players around Australia. Can you imagine the stink if a player had a nice 3 year deal at the Gold Coast or sunny Townsville and next day the coach says you'll be living in Salford for the next 6 months? Manly couldn't get Brent Kite to play for Wests Tigers - he didn't even have to move house! Fat chance loaning him to Warrington.

The best way to develop the game in Europe would be to get Bennett, Bellyache, and Dessie to go over there and coach for a few years. It won't happen either, but their game won't catch up until they see what the best do week in week out.

Latest posts