What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making excuses already.....

The Colonel

Immortal
Timing 'wrong for Poms'
October 27, 2004

TIMING is everything and for Great Britain's rugby league team it couldn't be any worse.

That's the opinion of St Helens' Australian-born coach, Ian Millward, who today queried the match fitness of several Great Britain players heading into their opening Tri Nations Test with a match-hardened Australia at City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday (Australian time).

"It's the worst possible time for a Great Britain team to be playing Australia," he said.

"(Australia) has blokes who are coming off a grand final, you have some blokes who have played in Townsville (against PNG) and then you have two hard hitouts against New Zealand.

"I just think Great Britain is going to be underdone. Sean Long has hardly played a game in three months, Terry Newton is carrying an injury, Martin Gleeson hasn't played in four months.

"(Paul) Sculthorpe has been out for a lot of the last part of the season.

"Whatever they do this game they're going to get better."

Australia, coming off a draw and a win against New Zealand, will start the match as favourites despite the loss of captain Darren Lockyer (rib) and second rower Craig Fitzgibbon (shoulder).

But there's genuine optimism among British fans that their side is about to enjoy some long-awaited success against their bitter rivals.

It's an optimism Millward doesn't share.

"The big thing I reckon in this series, which is where I think Australia will win it – the halfback, the five-eighth and hooker," he said.

"You look at Australia and they have (Danny) Buderus, (Craig) Gower and (Darren) Lockyer. All of them have won premierships, played Origin."

Great Britain, on the other hand, are contemplating taking untested Leeds five-eighth Danny McGuire into the game.

Millward compares McGuire, who scored more than 30 tries in the Super League this season, with former Bulldogs great Terry Lamb but raises concerns over his lack of big match experience.

"He scores a lot of tries from backing up and people creating things," said Millward.

"He loves to run into holes. He's got that ability like Terry Lamb to sniff out a try. But in a Test match you need someone to guide you around the park... he still has a long way to go before he's up to that level."

Millward also questions Great Britain's schedule, which has Brian Noble's side facing Australia and New Zealand over the next four weeks leading into the Tri Nations final.

"I don't know if they have planned it the right way," he said.

"They're going to have to play four weeks in a row. They're going to have to go bang, bang, bang."

AAP

:roll:

Fatbob

Juniors
It's not the Poms making excuses though is it?
Millward is as much of a Pom as Karmichael Hunt & Tonie Carroll are Australian.

carlnz

Bench
I think it just states how tuff GB have go it....how they never played a warm up game i dont know!!

Wouldnt be surprised if they get hammered though I have a feeling they will win it infront of a huge crowd

nqboy

First Grade
Millward makes some fair points, the Aussies are battle hardened, the Poms are underdone.

The Colonel

Immortal
They have themselves set up should they lose. If they win its all against the odds. They knew when everything was on and probably should have organised something more than a trip to Spain.

carlnz

Bench
But then again who could they play? all the nations but PNG are playing matches...would be great for the sport if PNG flew over and played in GB against GB....

The Colonel

Immortal
carlnz said:
But then again who could they play? all the nations but PNG are playing matches...would be great for the sport if PNG flew over and played in GB against GB....

Ireland, Wales, Russia.....

Misanthrope

Staff member
Great Britain have no one to blame but themselves. They knew the tournament was coming, they could have gotten off their arses and organised a match or two against the likes of France or even their own 'England' side. Any match experience would be an improvement on their current total of 'none'.

JK

They should have played France. Probably get 10,000 to a good venue in France thereby achieving three aims
1. Match experience
2. Exposure in France
3. Toughen up the Frenchies

It isn't rocket science.

inertia666

Juniors
It's ridiculous they haven't played any warm up matches. I get their point totally but it's no use whining. THe fixtures have been set for ages, they could have played the ANZAC team if they wanted to.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
It's not the Poms making excuses though is it?

Lesson learned: Aussie are RLs biggers whingers! :p

carlnz

Bench
The Colonel said:
carlnz said:

Ireland, Wales, Russia.....

How could GB play Ireland and Wales? Oh yeah playing Russia and beating them buy 120 is really going to help them :roll: :roll: Considering all these teams are preping for the Europens Cup..

Im still amazed you think GB should play Ireland or Wales :lol: :lol:

vbfg

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
Great Britain have no one to blame but themselves. They knew the tournament was coming, they could have gotten off their arses and organised a match or two against the likes of France or even their own 'England' side. Any match experience would be an improvement on their current total of 'none'.

When would you propose they played it? We were in a bar in Manchester watching NZ v Aus before heading off to our Grand Final. We know the timing sucks, but it's the timing of the competition to coincide with the end of at least some of the competiting teams seasons but not quite all of them that really sucks.

We knew upfront this would happen, we knew upfront it would be tough and there is nobody from the GB camp complaining about it.

Similar to the neutral referees thing really except we didn't change our mind when we looked up neutral in a dictionary.

Misanthrope

Staff member
They could have played France last weekend, whilst Australia were playing their second game against the Kiwis. It's one more game than they ended up playing.

vbfg

Juniors
That's the point though, isn't it? No disrespect intended to France but they might as well play a National League One side for all the preperation it will give them. The only argument in favour of playing France is the benefit it will give to the French game. Playing the weakest of the test playing nations as preperation for playing the strongest I'd suggest you come away a false impression of where your strengths and weaknesses are. To prepare for this competition I think they did the right thing with the time they had.

hutch

First Grade

i would consider someone who moved to australia at the age of 3 an aussie, as in tonie carrolls case, and i have no problem with hunt wanting to play origin and for australia as well considering he moved here when he was 11. we developed them both as players.

but more to the subject, great britain should definately played a warm up game against france and should do so on an annual basis. there are the makings of a great rivalry over there, it would be good for the game in france and give them something to aim for.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree with Ian Millward, its gonna be tough for GB. They think theyre in for a chance, but some of the players in the team havent played in a while, meanwhile Australia have played 3 matches consecutively after the GF.

Watch out GB, we're gonna target your useless hooker and halfback. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Captain Chaos

Juniors
Hopefully Newton will not be playing at hooker, I'd like to see Leeds' Diskin playing at 9.
We seem to accomodating at times and are too ready to roll over and grab the sh*tty end of the stick. We should have played a warm up game but given the SL GF being less than two weeks ago unless it was last Saturday (clashing with Aus-NZ fixture) there was no time available.

We are the worst prepared and I think alot of that boils down to us not having a strong enough administration to put their foot down and say that they want some things doing a certain way. The same applies to Mander getting to ref the game. From having a neutral ref to having an Aussie, it's madness and all pretty much down to the Aussies exploiting the weakness of the GB administration.

The refs had been set for months, yet all Bennett had to do was voice a concern the week before the game and boom, it's all change. That's weak leadership at the top, nothing else.

Latest posts