What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Man of Steel 2007

ExiledWool

Juniors
No, it's not everyone's favourite Aussie, well everyone's favourite if your'e a pie-muncher.....it's

James Roby

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The second best hooker in world rugby league picks (Behind Keiron Cunningham) picks up Man of Steel. Awesome news.

I can't stop laughing though, the Goons are going crazy over this. There is a 22 page thread on the RFLANS forum where they are going nuts over the news.

Azkatro

First Grade
How's the media treating the result? Great for Roby and St Helens, but must be some controversy over awarding it to a bloke who has played 16 games off the bench this year.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Azkatro said:
How's the media treating the result? Great for Roby and St Helens, but must be some controversy over awarding it to a bloke who has played 16 games off the bench this year.

I can't see how it can be controversial as it was the same journalists that voted for him to win the award I think.

I think this year Wellens, Pryce, Fozzard or Roby from St Helens could all have won it. Demetriou by all accounts at Wakefield, plus Peacock were the other main contenders.

Trent went missing when it mattered at another big event it seems. Sums his season up.

buccaneer

Juniors
Roby also picked up the Super League Metre Maker award (most metres made with the ball, 3,303m).

Shows just how much he does when he is on the field.

Like Wellens last year, Roby was tipped early in the season to collect the MOS.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
He is the second best dummy-half in the world behind Cameron Smith. I'd give anything to see him play a few years in the NRL, he would dominate. Phenomenal player.

Nacho Libre

Juniors
Roby is a great player but he has played in a great team all year, I know Barret was the difference in all 3 games against Ull this year n he singal handedly won them for the Pies, so for me he should ave got it.

deluded pom?

Coach
I personally think there's too much emphasis on the SL when it comes to these type of awards. It's supposed to be the man who has had the most impact on the game all season. For me that man isn't James Roby, great player that he is. Barrett has had an outstanding debut season but I feel people like Mark Aston and Latham Tawhai should be rewarded for their fantastic efforts. They produce results on a shoestring. You can bet your bottom dollar now that the Coach of the Year will be either Smith or Anderson depending on Saturday's outcome.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
langpark said:
seconded. :lol:

it's that bad of a call tho that i reckon it was just a wind-up

Half and half.

Cunningham, despite what you Aussies will say, has been the best hooker in the world throughout the majority of his career. He is easily the best hooker I have seen play the game.

Roby is also a phenomenal player who has torn Super League apart and looked at ease on the international stage too, whereas the recent Aussie and Kiwi hookers do nothing bar tackle and distribute from dummy half.

To be fair to Cameron Smith I've not seen a game of NRL since it moved from Sky Sports to Setanta over here.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Agree about Roby being 2nd best hooker, not so sure about Cunningham...

Leon Pryce should have got Man Of Steel, IMO.

Don't know much about him but by all accounts he is a talent. Danny Buderus for mine is the greatest hooker in the game's history so far but this kid may be better. Who knows. A long time before he can claim to be worthy of even being Buderus' shadow.

langpark

First Grade
buderus is a complete has-been. Smith and Farah are lightyears ahead of him these days.

Roby is a phenomenal talent, though I'm not sure if he is the best hooker in the world. I love seeing him play for the poms.

To me he reminds me a lot of Craig Wing, more of an athlete than a 'true' footballer. Uses his brilliant running and athleticism to dominate rather than his football brain.

bartman

Immortal
I've no problems with Roby getting this one. He deserves more on field time, but what are you going to do with all the talent in the Saints squad.

Roby's getting better and better, and am looking forward to seeing how he goes as number one choice in the tests this year.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
bartman said:
I've no problems with Roby getting this one. He deserves more on field time, but what are you going to do with all the talent in the Saints squad.

Roby's getting better and better, and am looking forward to seeing how he goes as number one choice in the tests this year.

More interesting still are the rumours he is set to play stand off for St Helens from next season onwards, with Leon Pryce defecting to Union.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I doubt Pryce would do that to be honest after his brother's experiences. They would have to offer him a ridiculous amount of money.

langpark said:
buderus is a complete has-been. Smith and Farah are lightyears ahead of him these days.
:lol: The same Robbie Farah who had the Dally M by the balls and lost it to thurston with two weeks left in the regular season:lol: ? Typical Queenslander rubbish.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Newie is God's Country said:
:lol: The same Robbie Farah who had the Dally M by the balls and lost it to thurston with two weeks left in the regular season:lol: ? Typical Queenslander rubbish.

Isn't Farah from NSW..