What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Man United footballers supporting RL...

The Tank

Bench
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/wayne_s_rl_world_is_a_grand_one_1_1786509

Good to see footballers enjoying RL.

x2_2e280b4

Piggy found someone that actually makes him look not quite hideous. :D

8phu.jpg

Patty Richards with Rooney

3f6v.jpg

Not a footballer... but Rooney's missus Coleen

RedVee

First Grade
The SMH the other day reported that Ryan Giggs wasat the ESL GF watching Wigan and St Helens rather than being out at the Man U game.

roughyed8

Juniors
The SMH the other day reported that Ryan Giggs wasat the ESL GF watching Wigan and St Helens rather than being out at the Man U game.

Ryan Giggs has been around rugby league all his life, his dad Danny Wilson played for Swinton after coming north from Wales, he played junior RL at Langworthy untill he signed for Man U when he was told in no uncertain terms to stop!

deluded pom?

Coach

Giggs was at the GF and was booed by a section of what I assume were Liverpool fans in the Saints end when he was shown on the big screen. The guy has had a wonderful career and there's been no hint of scandal in his private life so why the wankers decide to boo him at a rugby league match astounds me. It's called respect. They should be thanking him for attending the game.

VictoryFC

Bench
If it was Scousers that booed him, then so be it. I half suspect Giggs would understand why he was being booed, in which case its hardly something to feel bad about. And Rooney looks even worse than on TV in those shots.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
You see Giggs at most of the big games. And I am sure that I read somewhere that Wayne Rooney said he prefers to watch rugby league over soccer. Either way it is just good to see two people with such high profiles supporting the game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Giggs was at the GF and was booed by a section of what I assume were Liverpool fans in the Saints end when he was shown on the big screen. The guy has had a wonderful career and there's been no hint of scandal in his private life so why the wankers decide to boo him at a rugby league match astounds me. It's called respect. They should be thanking him for attending the game.

I'm lost for words... Soccer really has done a number on RL fans in England, hasn't it?

Doga

Juniors
Ryan Giggs has been around rugby league all his life, his dad Danny Wilson played for Swinton after coming north from Wales, he played junior RL at Langworthy untill he signed for Man U when he was told in no uncertain terms to stop!

I saw some footage of Danny Wilson, looked like a handy player. Giggs would have been an amazing Fullback if he stuck with it. Glad he chose United though!!

You see Giggs at most of the big games. And I am sure that I read somewhere that Wayne Rooney said he prefers to watch rugby league over soccer. Either way it is just good to see two people with such high profiles supporting the game.

What you read was that Rooney prefers Rugby League over Rugby Union. That was around the time when everyone was wanking over Johnny Wilkinson and the England Union team.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Most of the northern Premier League clubs have ties to RL, particularly the Lancashire sides. I remember Rafa Benitez was sitting with Daniel Anderson at a St Helens game a few years ago, and a lot of players have talked about how they like to watch RL during their time off and how they are mates with some of the RL boys. There's usually a decent Man Utd contingent at the Grand Final. Quite a lot of other high profile sportsmen get involved too, I think Andrew Flintoff is a Wigan fan etc.

The Tank

Bench
I think Andrew Flintoff is a Wigan fan etc.

Other legends of the club such as Ellery Hanley, Martin Offiah, Denis Betts, Jason Robinson and Billy Boston also watched from the packed Old Trafford crowd – as did sporting icons Andrew Flintoff, Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs – as the current players added their names to the celebrated list of past trophy-winning Wigan teams.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-warriors/the_history_makers_with_video_1_1805938

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm lost for words... Soccer really has done a number on RL fans in England, hasn't it?

You don't know the half of it. My comment was about the fact that Ryan Giggs is a million times more recogniseable to the average UK man in the street than any current rugby league player ever will be short of committing mass murder.