What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mander out! - Black in! GB & NZ overturn Australia

JJ

Immortal
bayrep said:
But whose fault is it that a Kiwi ref has been givent he chance. He has reffed a few ESL games and by the looks a couple of Internationals against Wals and Russia. The guy deserves ago. IRL will either benefit from this or learn from it and make sure we dont get in this situation again.

It's the NZRL's fault for not having a system that produces quality refs and quality coaches. While I am moaning - to some extent the same is true of player - would SBW and Karmichael Hunt be as good if they hadn't been "polished up" in Australia??

JJ

Immortal
ozbash said:
would SBW and Karmichael Hunt be as good if they hadn't been "polished up" in Australia??

yes

well, I disagree - strongly! In fact - you're just flat out wrong :shock:

the NZRL needs to spend more time and money on development programmes for coaches, refs, and player

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Experience counts. This guy ain't got it.

I would have been happy to see that pommy ref from the last two matches. I've also watched him in SL and he is as good as you will get. This neutral ref stuff is a load of crap.

bayrep

Juniors
I agree JJ. But the money has to come from somewhere. Does the NZRL get any transfer fees for every young player that is registered with the NZRL that gets picked up from our BC ?? If not then its just a black hole that the NZRL will never be able to cover and the standard of the BC and NZ refs are always going to be below par. Which means that if Aus wants international Referring of the highest order they need to include some kiwi's in the NRL. So the question comes down to whose fault is it that Black isn't of international standard ?

JJ

Immortal
bayrep said:
I agree JJ. But the money has to come from somewhere. Does the NZRL get any transfer fees for every young player that is registered with the NZRL that gets picked up from our BC ?? If not then its just a black hole that the NZRL will never be able to cover and the standard of the BC and NZ refs are always going to be below par. Which means that if Aus wants international Referring of the highest order they need to include some kiwi's in the NRL. So the question comes down to whose fault is it that Black isn't of international standard ?

Black may well do fine, but he's never refereed at anything like that standard.

It's easy to blame everything on the Australians - but from where I sit the NZRL (along with previous Warriors administrations) have been bumbling idiots who have live off the coat-tails of the Australian game.

The game doesn't need international football to survive. The Aust comp has a NZ based team, and many NZ based players - NZ players based in Australia have always lifetd our standard. I am sure they're open to NZ refs in the NRL, so Mr Black should look at that.

But the NZRL needs to get of it's proverbial and do something, generate income streams somehow, get better sponsorship, develop local coaches (the stat of NZ coaching is appalling) and NZ referees... instead of whinging incessantly about Aust doing this and Aust doing that. Or the UK doing this and the UK doing that.

The Australians are better than us for a number of reasons - including
1. they have more players
2. they have better systems for player, coach, and ref development (unlike ozbash, I firmly believe that Williams would not be as well developed a player as he is if he had stayed in NZ)
3. the players are taught the fundamental skills better - tackling, offloading (when as well as how) etc etc (the poms used to think they were boring, but the bottom line is you're gonna spend about half the game tackling, so you'd better learn how to do it)

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would have been happy to see that pommy ref from the last two matches. I've also watched him in SL and he is as good as you will get. This neutral ref stuff is a load of crap.

Look as an Austrlian fan, I'd rather have Smith refereeing both of Austrlia vs. GB games than to have a park referee! It's plain stupid! :roll: You need experience! It would be an absolute joke if he gets the final between Aus and GB when Smith is by far and away the best ref they have at the moment! Mander is good but he is not as good as Smith!

kier

Juniors
He's not a "park ref"! That's just a stupid comment from Geoff Carr who's acting like a spolit child whose had his favourite toy taken away.

dimitri

First Grade
this is ridiculous he is not a park referee

he has reffed bartercard cup, super league games and internationals

including australia v england

this is ridiculous

HE IS WELL AND TRULY QUALIFIED TO REF AN INTERNATIONAL

if a player of the calibre of thomas leuluai can come out of the bartercard cup and play well for the kiwis

then theres no reason why GLEN BLACK cant do the same

considering he has also reffed super league and internationals

:!: :!: :!: :!:

ozbash

Referee
JJ said:
ozbash said:
would SBW and Karmichael Hunt be as good if they hadn't been "polished up" in Australia??

yes

well, I disagree - strongly! In fact - you're just flat out wrong :shock:

the NZRL needs to spend more time and money on development programmes for coaches, refs, and player

this is getting away from the subject but...... :lol:

are you saying SBW and hunt wouldnt be golden boot/daly m prospects if they played for the warriors ??????

glen black deserves his game, on form alone he should be there,,,,
STUFF WAYNE BENNETT

JJ

Immortal
ozbash said:
[this is getting away from the subject but...... :lol:

are you saying SBW and hunt wouldnt be golden boot/daly m prospects if they played for the warriors ??????

getting off the topic is often interesting...

That's not quite what I am saying. I am suggesting that they wouldn't be at the same stage as they are now - i.e., established 1st grade "stars".

They'd be a few years behind. I think the sytems in Australia are far superior, and they can make more quickly of hugely talented players like them.

Plus - SBW would likely have to start with the Warriors, play 80 min, have play revolving around him etc etc, all of which wouldn't help, I don't think.

I'm not suggesting they're good because they've played in Australia, just that the systems there have sped up their development, and made them more well-rounded players at a very young age

Misanthrope

Staff member
The woeful standard of referees from outside Australia and England is the fault of the two biggest bodies in the game- the NRL and the ESL. If they want neutral referees for their international fixtures, maybe they should invest a little cash in training referees from other nations.

AuckMel

Bench
JJ said:
I'm not suggesting they're good because they've played in Australia, just that the systems there have sped up their development, and made them more well-rounded players at a very young age

That's true, but then, Rugby League is king on the eastern seaboard of Australia, while Rugby League is the popular choice of between 15-20,000 Kiwis all up.

When it comes to development, they'll always be streets ahead of us, if only because of the huge numbers and financial advantage they have over us.

The Observer

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
on form alone he should be there

What form are you referring to! If its form in the Bartercard thats hardly anything to crow about! :lol:

Glen Black has refereed 3 Super League games in England - therefore Black is a first grade referee. The RFL brought him over there to give him taste of first grade and prepare him for international footy. The individuals that have lead the push for Black to be given a chance deserve high praise for the courage they showed in making the decision.

JJ said:
I'm all for "neutral" refs - but first, isn't any referee supposed to be neutral??

In theory yes, referees should be impartial by the nature of their position. However this is a cynical excuse, a diversion for failing to train foreign refs; there's no other major team sport in the world would do it.

Do you imagine that the NSWRU would ever let an ARU ref referee a Bledisloe Cup game??

Refs are professional, and should be treated as such.

There are only two full time professional referees left in world RL after the departure of Bill Harrigan - Tim Mander and Steve Clark.

If the Kangaroos lose, instead of blaming the ref, perhaps the ARL could take the opportunity to train more foreign refs and spend some money to make more elite refs full timers.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Glen Black has refereed 3 Super League games in England

Well here we go! We have a ref with 3 games experience in a test match! SuperLeague matches are hardly as quick as test matches! The question will be, will he be handed the tag of the worst international ref EVER? :?:

Iafeta

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Has anybody seen him ref?

No but if he can't be a regualr ref in the SuperLeagu you have to wonder not how good he is but how BAD he is! The question will be is he the worst one! I doubt that becuase in Austrlia we have Shanye Hayne and Tony Archer- the 2 worst! :roll:

You're right - he should stop be being such a lazy bugger and just travel the 432 hours by road up the M4312 from New Zealand to London.

Oh that's right, New Zealand isn't part of GREAT BRITAIN!!!

Geography, tool. :roll: Look at it the other way, they must rate him if they call him up from New Zealand, which isn't around the corner from London!!!!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Well here we go! We have a ref with 3 games experience in a test match! SuperLeague matches are hardly as quick as test matches! The question will be, will he be handed the tag of the worst international ref EVER?

Your impartiality must be questioned.

Latest posts