What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well this game never reached any great heights it is fair to say but at least we looked like we wanted to be there which is more than I can say for Manly.

We got much the same as last week the tea running and tackling hard and looking enthusiastic even if the attack is slow and dreadful. Last week Brisbane were able to put on slick moves and capitalise on their few chance isn't he first half whereas this week Manly had nothing for us and we defended our line comfortably. The overwhelming positive of the last 6 weeks is the intent, enthusiasm and commitment has been there, we just can't score points and that won't be fixed until the off-season.

I thought we were by far the better side and thoroughly deserved this victory. Manu was heavily involved in attack and it showed but he needs to get more involved against the better sides instead of going in to his shell. Rads needs to go to a sports psychologist, looked like a complete zombie out there and was deadset walking in attack, no one needs a good break more than him.

Defensively, we only conceded points once we were a man down and 2 came off kicks with the other one of those lucky richochet/knock BS that we seem to concede weekly. In regards to the send off, I'm ok with that being a send off but as usual with the NRL consistency is the issue, that has only been a binning all year but anyways, it is what it is.

Joseph Suaalii - What an enigma. He is proving to be a very good asset on the wing running the ball hard, constantly threatening to stand up opposition centres/wingers and a huge aerial threat. I'm still leaning toward letting him go early because Young needs to play and we cannot have suaalii at centre, that has proven a disaster. If the kicks that went to his wing last night were a bit deeper he scores a hatrick because his opposite number wasn't even close to out jumping him.

Billy Smith - His best game for the club so far and he thoroughly deserved the try he got. He is proving to be a good rangy centre int he Campbell Graham mould, hopefully he stays injury free.

I thought Hutch was decent in the halves and offered a strong long kicking game which made a difference. He ain't going to cut up defences it's fair to say but whilst Walker is still injured I think him and Keary in the halves with young Sandon (or Connor Watson if he returns) at utility is the way forward the rest of the season.

Good to see Siua Wong come along nicely, seems to hit holes hard and is damaging in defence. He poked his head thorugh the line and go that pass away to Teddy which was forward but more of that please. Great to see the team get around him after that encouraging him to keep doing it.

I've been very impressed with the forwards in general for a while now, they always toil hard and do their jobs and it's important to note we are desperately short at 2nd row at the moment, we just don't have the attack on the end of it at the moment.

3 Billy Smith
2 Teddy
1 Collins

The weirdness of this comp continues, we will only be 2 points out of the 8 at the completion of this round (may as well be 3 with our F/A) and I think all of the Raiders, Sharks, Cowboys and Eels are sliding significantly and I'm far from convinced with souths as well. We don't deserve it but I think we are going to be in finals contention until the bitter end. Dolphins next at home and if we bring the same energy as the last month we will win comfortably.

Our forwards laid the platform by dominating theirs (Lodge leaving helped of course) and keeping DCE largely ineffective. Confident we could keep our in-goal virginal until the bunker’s interference.

Suaalii played like he wants to see out his contract. He was back to his running, leaping best. I was very impressed but I’m happy to see the club (if a rumours are to be believed) move him on a year early as we have our wingers sorted for next year and as stated already, he’s not a centre of sufficient standard. He had a great game though and was constantly a danger to Manly, pity it’s all too late.

After an appalling run of injuries, Billy Smith is finally putting a season together and giving us glimpses of his potential. Contract is up this year and would love to know if you guys think he’s worth keeping. I think he’s been our most consistent player in a rather fallow year.

Hutch was solid and long kicking game was very effective but the shorter kicking should strictly be left to Luke until Sammy gets back.

Teddy and Manu both had great games but would like to see a little more involvement from the latter, especially the linking up with Suaaalii we had become accustomed to.

3. Teddy
2. B. Smith
1. Suaalii

H.H

Juniors
Sorry fellas, a bit late this week.

Solid performance from the boys and as I said to my old man, they've been playing with good intent for a few weeks now and that's all I ever really want. We'll beat alot of sides with that but sadly not a hope against the elite teams.

Billy Smith - absolutely we should retain him. He's a local kid with alot of potential. It's a crying shame that he's had such a run of serious injuries as I don't think he'll ever be what he could've been...a bit Ryan Cross like sadly. Had a top career, but could've been anything.

Just on our form, our back 5 is really starting to return to the force we're used to and it's a shame it's so late in the season. They're the key to what we do and some of the stats out of the game were impressive.

Anyway, hope we can finish the season strong - semis or not. If we can f*ck Souff's finals spot up that would be a bonus too - jeez they're terrible at the moment. Long may it continue.

3 - Collins
2 - Billy Smith
1 - Toops

Lambretta

First Grade
Radley is awful. His head is not in the game at all. He's a liability and needs time away from the game it seems. He gets angry easily and it clouds everything about him.

Billy Smith is our best Smith and is starting to deliver on his potential. I hope he stays fit and stays at the club.

I wonder if the club will let Sua'ali'i leave or try the dumpling at centre when he arrives.

The refereeing was uneven and we gained almost as much as we lost.

Manly having a player sin binned when they hadn't conceded a penalty in 20 minutes was a piss take.

The Roosters complete inability to defend whenever we go down to 12 is horrifying. Lose 1 and it looks like we've lost 5 or 6, the number of gaps that develop.

Collins needs to shut his f**king mouth and stop whinging at the refs. f**k me. Make the statements with your play young man. You're more than talented enough.

3. Sua'ali'i
2. Smith
1. Collins

Latest posts