What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly boss tips Sharks

wittyfan

Referee
simon says said:
sullyfan said:
Peachey has not been injury free in recent years. To say he lacks commitment is ridiculous.

I think its pretty obvious that at times the Peach has lacked some committment.When the Sharks arent going to well,Peach looks like he couldnt give a fig and just doesnt put his body on the line....compare him to a FB that really does...like Mckinnon,Hodgson and Hornby and the divide is huge.

I just dont think Peach's heart is in it.

Cheers.

I think it's more of a case of a lack of total fitness than heart in some games. And besides, I doubt Cronulla would have re-signed him if his heart wasn't in it.

Iafeta

Referee
Special K said:
Iafeta said:
And you can honestly say Vagana got enough ball at the Sharks or they went away from the gutless, flat style overly that Anderson employed? Watch the tapes, its still very, very flat, one or two wide of the ruck only play.

Very hard to get Nigel the ball when he was out for the first 6 weeks and Noddy was out for 3 months. Also added to the fact that Nigel shouldn't have played till round 18 due to his injury and the fact he finished with the highest amount of tries shows us that he can do things for us next year once he has a off season and a ball player with him. It will take a while for a combo to get going but one will develop.

The Sharks played flat when the forwards didn't work. When the forwards were on they had wide backline movements and it lead to some great tries(see Merritt vs Brisbane).

The sharks disciplinary problems had been greatly fixed till the final two games. Watch the sharks games after the souths and nq games till the final two and you'll see nothing to suggest problems. However at the end of the season when they were 2 points off the 8 and things were not working they had some brain explosions which they have the off season to fix.

The Sharks major problem is not having a front row partner for Stevens not being ill disciplined. Also I'd be shocked if Peachey finished the season in the top grade. Merritt will drop back there in about round 16 when the Peach 'gets hurt'

He still didn't get enough good ball, wouldas, couldas, shouldas. Not meaning to beat the Warriors up here, but in 2003 and 2002 they had Stacey Jones out for a while, between Lance Hohaia and Motu Tony - who are no superstars, they went okay and won a very high percentage of their games. Think it was 2/2 in 2002 on the road, and in 2003 they beat Brisbane, St George, Sydney City, and lost to Melbourne and Newcastle. Thats 5/7. You can't rely on one person to set your fringe players up.

For the record, I thought young Kent did a decent job.

Jason Stevens has Danny Nutley with him. There's not a major catastrophe in the propping circles. Lomu can also play there. Galloway is a decent prospect.

The major problem still lays in awful discipline. Nutley is a hot head, Stevens just does silly things - wedgies for crying out loud, what a foolish way to give up 30 metres and a fresh set of 6. Foot-tripping, for goodness sakes. Phil Bailey still has absolutely no clue on the dominant tackle. In some games he'll lay there like a beached whale and earn mountains of penalties, or in other games he'll roll off a dominant tackle straight away in sheer fear of being penalised when he's perfectly entitled to take his time. And then Kimmorley or Peachey will chime in with comments to the referee that just do not help their cause. I fully expect Kimmorley to come up with a "it should be you who's on report" Gordy Tallis type comment somewhere along the line!!!

I also would not be surprised to see Merritt finish the season at fullback, it'd be a sad end to David's first grade career because he's been a stellar servant of the game and his community, but for mine his time is passing by rather rapidly.

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
simon says said:
sullyfan said:
Peachey has not been injury free in recent years. To say he lacks commitment is ridiculous.

I think its pretty obvious that at times the Peach has lacked some committment.When the Sharks arent going to well,Peach looks like he couldnt give a fig and just doesnt put his body on the line....compare him to a FB that really does...like Mckinnon,Hodgson and Hornby and the divide is huge.

Cheers.

I think it's more of a case of a lack of total fitness than heart in some games. And besides, I doubt Cronulla would have re-signed him if his heart wasn't in it.

That from what I was hearing was only a last second decision to resign him, and not totally unanamous in terms of those responsible for who was in the squad for 2005.

God-King Dean

Immortal
sullyfan said:
simon says said:
sullyfan said:

Cheers.

That's not always the case, especially when it's regarding a player that thw fans absolutly love. Take Blacklock for example during his 'heart not in it stage'. He may not have been up to scratch but if he was coming off contract Dragons would still re-sign him. You just don't get rid of players like that

lolesi

First Grade
I actually agree with lafeta on most of what he has said, i think your just making excuses boys :)

We need to get some ticker, pull our finger out, and play smart football, though i do think it is possible this year.

Special K

Coach
Iafeta said:
Special K said:
Iafeta said:
And you can honestly say Vagana got enough ball at the Sharks or they went away from the gutless, flat style overly that Anderson employed? Watch the tapes, its still very, very flat, one or two wide of the ruck only play.

Very hard to get Nigel the ball when he was out for the first 6 weeks and Noddy was out for 3 months. Also added to the fact that Nigel shouldn't have played till round 18 due to his injury and the fact he finished with the highest amount of tries shows us that he can do things for us next year once he has a off season and a ball player with him. It will take a while for a combo to get going but one will develop.

The Sharks played flat when the forwards didn't work. When the forwards were on they had wide backline movements and it lead to some great tries(see Merritt vs Brisbane).

The sharks disciplinary problems had been greatly fixed till the final two games. Watch the sharks games after the souths and nq games till the final two and you'll see nothing to suggest problems. However at the end of the season when they were 2 points off the 8 and things were not working they had some brain explosions which they have the off season to fix.

The Sharks major problem is not having a front row partner for Stevens not being ill disciplined. Also I'd be shocked if Peachey finished the season in the top grade. Merritt will drop back there in about round 16 when the Peach 'gets hurt'

He still didn't get enough good ball, wouldas, couldas, shouldas. Not meaning to beat the Warriors up here, but in 2003 and 2002 they had Stacey Jones out for a while, between Lance Hohaia and Motu Tony - who are no superstars, they went okay and won a very high percentage of their games. Think it was 2/2 in 2002 on the road, and in 2003 they beat Brisbane, St George, Sydney City, and lost to Melbourne and Newcastle. Thats 5/7. You can't rely on one person to set your fringe players up.

For the record, I thought young Kent did a decent job.

Jason Stevens has Danny Nutley with him. There's not a major catastrophe in the propping circles. Lomu can also play there. Galloway is a decent prospect.

The major problem still lays in awful discipline. Nutley is a hot head, Stevens just does silly things - wedgies for crying out loud, what a foolish way to give up 30 metres and a fresh set of 6. Foot-tripping, for goodness sakes. Phil Bailey still has absolutely no clue on the dominant tackle. In some games he'll lay there like a beached whale and earn mountains of penalties, or in other games he'll roll off a dominant tackle straight away in sheer fear of being penalised when he's perfectly entitled to take his time. And then Kimmorley or Peachey will chime in with comments to the referee that just do not help their cause. I fully expect Kimmorley to come up with a "it should be you who's on report" Gordy Tallis type comment somewhere along the line!!!

I also would not be surprised to see Merritt finish the season at fullback, it'd be a sad end to David's first grade career because he's been a stellar servant of the game and his community, but for mine his time is passing by rather rapidly.
Kent is a fine player but he is a fullback and also Gallen spent most of the season at 5/8 and he is a 2nd rower who was told just to run and not pass. Nigel never was fit enough at the same time as Noddy to get a combo going, hence his lack of ball. They played no trials, Nigel spent some games with no feeling in his shoulder and arm and then Noddy did his hammy. I don't think Nigel had his best season but there is a lot of things to take out of it for when he is hopefully fully fit for next season.

Cronulla went into 2004 with one high class ball player and a talented young guy who was going to be a runner and hole hitter(Bird) and he missed 12 weeks and Bird missed around 14 all up and only missed the top 8 by 2 points(which is poor considering early poor performances against souths, nq, tigers). They learnt from this and bought another good ball player in Dykes, so if Kimmorley does get hurt then hopefully Dykes can go to 7 with Bird coming back from 13 to 6. All in a effort to get the ball wider. Dykes has been told that his job is to get the ball to Nigel. On Sports tonight a few weeks ago he said "Raper told me my job is just to get the ball out to nigel" so hopefully if injurys stay away something can spark up there with Mellor or Merritt outside of Nigel.

Sharks are working on their problems and should have the discipline problems fixed. If not, Raper will be sent packing. Kimmorley is always going to have a motor mouth, he is a half back. He also buys the boys a fair bit of time to get back and suck the big ones in with his rambles. Bailey won't mouth off next season to the ref as he has had rockets blown up him over it and I highly doubt he would be dumb enough to do it this year. I think he will go back to mouthing the other team again.

Nutley is too small and lacks impact starting, Lomu is awesome outwide and should be kept next to Nigel at all stages and Galloway has been soft to be fair. If Galloway can pull his finger out then cronulla will be a shot at the top 6. Top 4 I think not but top 6 is anyones game.

Peachey is not what he once was due to his hammy and its very sad. However when he plays his role as a 2nd 5/8 in attack he is very good and seems to have so much time when he floats around with runners coming off him. But his hammy is f**ked and this will be his last season no doubt.

simon says

First Grade
You hvae to admit that Cronulla are very niggly.They have plenty of prime candidates......Nutley,Bailey,Gallen,Stevens,Kimmorley.....they cant help themselves,they get frustrated easy and hen its a penltly-a-thon.

If the Sharks af fair dinkum about next year they have to accept the referees decision and get on with it.And Bailey has to stop his Hodges impersonations and play some footy,he isnt good enough with all the pushy mouthy stuff.

Cheers.

Immortal said:
incredible_holc said:
with dykes playing his natural spot at 5/8th with a real halfback, we will fire

That may be wishful thinking. There are a lot of great halves combination.
Anasta-Sherwin
Barrett-Head
Hill-Orford
Campbell-Gower

There's even halves combinations where there is only one star player, but will be better than Sharks
Lockyer-Seymour
Firman-Finch
?-Fien

Anasta is rubbish, Barrett is an injury-prone burden
Hill/Orford is good though
As for Seymour and Finch, that's a bit of a laugh

As noted, the Sharks main problem will be in the forwards
The backline will be outstanding but I dont know if the side will have the firepower up front

Greenblooded

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Greenblooded said:
I wouldn't expect Kemp to last the season at the Warriors.

I give him until round 10, but thats irrelevant to the thread titled "Manly boss tips Cronulla in top four", don't you think?

:lol: Yeah, just a random thought.

Kiwi

First Grade
ShireKing said:
Immortal said:
incredible_holc said:

Anasta-Sherwin
Barrett-Head
Hill-Orford
Campbell-Gower

There's even halves combinations where there is only one star player, but will be better than Sharks
Lockyer-Seymour
Firman-Finch
?-Fien

The backline will be outstanding but I dont know if the side will have the firepower up front

Whats so funny about Seymour? He's young, but a damn good player. And that aside I think you'll find the player he was refering to in that list as being the one star player out of Seymour and Lockyer, was well Lockyer. You know Lockyer, the guy that is a better player than both Kimmorley and Dykes combined.

God-King Dean

Immortal
ShireKing said:
Immortal said:
incredible_holc said:

Anasta-Sherwin
Barrett-Head
Hill-Orford
Campbell-Gower

Lockyer-Seymour
Firman-Finch
?-Fien

OMFG, you can't be serious. Notice every combo I mention finished higher than your team :x If Ficnh is a laugh then that would make Kimmorley sh..... Was Kimmorley or Dykes as good as Seymour was at his age? Seymour has great promise

Foz

Bench
Was Kimmorley as good as Seymour at the same age?
I watched a bit of Kimmorley in the lower grades at Newcastle (I'm assuming they were about the same age then).
Kimmorley was a talent even back then.
In fact Newcastle had the Johns brothers and Kimmorley competing for positions.
Not taking anything away from Seymour but Kimmorley took full control of matches back then. (I know reserve grade isnt NRL but you can spot a standout player).
Seymour doesn't lack confidence but we all know who guides the Broncos around the park.
The Broncos have had a problem at half back since Langer left but Seymour may be the answer.
I'd take Kimmorley over Seymour for sure at the same age. (and today for that matter).

RICHO

Juniors
As shown by the fact that he was picked for Australia, Kimmorley is apparently regarded as a better player than Orford, Sherwin, Head, Seymore, Finch, etc.
It seems that only Johns and Gower are rated above him.

As for the 5/8 debate, Dykes had a crap time at Parra. But in all honesty, aside from Hindmarsh, the Eels quite possibly had the worst bunch of players ever seen at the club.

I do believe that the Sharks will improve in 2005, but to what extent remains to be seen. They are definitely in a better position right now than at the beginning of 2004.

innsaneink said:
Found it interesting Peter Peters on 2KY this morning predicting the Sharks to make the top four.

They had been talking about the prospects of several teams, gains and losses etc when a caller rang and asked his opinion of the Sharks.

"They're my sleeper team" he said, "They're my dark horse team to really surprise this year". "Kimmorley and Dykes will have a great season."

A couple of callers after that enquired of Manlys off season progress, and what if anything Terry Hill will be doing.....but he didnt seem to want to make any bold predictions of Manlys season ahead.

I know hes entitled to his opinion, though its usually wrong or biased....just seemed odd him talking up the Sharks chance....maybe he was trying to sound like a neutral commentator....it doesnt workwith him.

Thats the joke tip of the year ,manly will be last and cronulla second last ,may be that is what he meant.

God-King Dean

Immortal
RICHO said:
As shown by the fact that he was picked for Australia, Kimmorley is apparently regarded as a better player than Orford, Sherwin, Head, Seymore, Finch, etc.
It seems that only Johns and Gower are rated above him.

As for the 5/8 debate, Dykes had a crap time at Parra. But in all honesty, aside from Hindmarsh, the Eels quite possibly had the worst bunch of players ever seen at the club.

I do believe that the Sharks will improve in 2005, but to what extent remains to be seen. They are definitely in a better position right now than at the beginning of 2004.

Kimmorley is great at rep level, but I can't remember the last thing he did good at club level

PJ

First Grade
Kimmorley is great at rep level, but I can't remember the last thing he did good at club level

He's done plenty good since but he had a pretty handy club level game when he won the clive churchill medal.

Surely you remember that.

Special K

Coach
Kimmorley carried a weak Cronulla side to one game off a grand final. Had Jones not played Kimmorley would have lead the Sharks into the GF. Kimmorley carried Cronulla in 2002. This run included the last team to beat the Roosters, the Knights flogging and the Dragons semi.

Kimmorley had great games in 2003 against the Knights, Broncos and others but spent half the year on the sideline with a broken jaw and a busted nut.

2004 saw Kimmorley play great games against Melbourne, Canberra and put in a very good game against Brisbane before he did his hammy.

To say Kimmorley only plays well in rep games is a joke. Clearly he is one of The Sharks best players week in and week out. Look how high he finished on the Dally M table this year for the what, 12 games he played?