What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly/Melbourne's attitude towards the NRL

caspersparks

Juniors
Many Manly fans (as well as alot of others) thought that Manly would beat the cowboys quite easy. Even if Manly lost they still had another shot, it wasn't a 100% do or die game for them. Not really an excuse, but def could be a factor in why the crowed was low. Money is tight, I only get the chance to get to one finals game, I want it to be a gf qualifier (that i was quite sure manly would get)

Evenflow

Bench
The Dragons played and they have fans everywhere plus fans that travel.

Not that hard to explain.

lol settle down you didn't play that much of a part. I always have a look and see what sort of numbers the traveling fans brings and while i'll give you the Stains fans bring the best numbers out of the Sydney teams there were only 2 away sections your fans were sitting and that was the bottom corner of the Eastern Stand (MCG) end and the bottom corner Southern stand (Yarra end). Obviously you'd have had a few others dotted around the place but you'd have been lucky to have 4-5k there and even then i'm being overly generous. While they're still good traveling numbers it still would've been a great crowd regardless.

We also drew 23k hosting the Bronco's just a few weeks earlier and i can assure you they didn't have as many traveling fans as your club so it's a very long bow to draw saying the only reason we crack those numbers is because of traveling fans.

big_matt

Juniors
Melbourne have had the home qualifying final for every year since 2006 (except last year). In 2009 the QF at Olympic Park drew 20k - a commendable crowd.

Yet the others only drew 15k.

You promised the league world that crowds would swell once you got your new stadium. Now you blame AFL. Even have a pot shot at Sydney in your opening paragraph. Even blaming the finals system - a potential walkover, and when it wasnt, Melbourne gave up.

Manly fans might be making weak excuses, but at least they can say that a properly scheduled game at Brooky would have gotten 20k. You blame AFL, the Mac system, the Knights (who bring the most exciting attacking player in the comp mind you).

Like the salary cap. Blame everyone but yourselves.

You got any proof they would have got 20k?

If you think a 95k crowd right across the street at the same time as our game doesn't affect the crowd at all then you must be even more thick than I thought you were (and that's saying something).

I'm not blaming the AFL at all, I'm blaming the NRL. If Gallop doesn't insist on us going right up against the biggest AFL fixture of the year so far then we wouldn't be left in the position we were in. The AFL must laugh at his incompetence.

Are you suggesting that an 95k NRL crowd in Sydney would not affect the numbers of fans going to a sydney swans game at the exact same time? Of course it would..and that's the same situation we are in here.

Maybe you need to also look in your own back yard. Did the "rugby league heartland" Eels not get a crowd of only 10k for your game against us on August 1st? Or 11k against Manly on 13th August (and thats two sets of Sydney fans combined) Hahahahha. Our crowds turned up last year with nothing to play for!

But obviously you'll blame the weather, traffic, the sun, the moon, etc. Or you'll point to the fact that 50k bandwagon fans turned up for the grand final.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Big Matt, this thread is about your pathetic crowds to finals games. You blame the sun, moon, stars........! I recall a Kings of Leon concert getting blamed for one. Now it's an AFL game next door.

Match scheduling? Maybe you are right. The NRL has a terrible finals scheduling policy that seems to be held together by a zillion band aids, so much so that it would fall apart of altered. Then again, since when has AFL been played on Sunday arvo? My point re crowds in qualifying finals of the past suggests 15k is about right in Melbourne - therefore the AFL game didnt affect it much at all. Didnt the Storm go head to head with AFL in finals time a few years ago - and do OK?

Besides, if you can blame match scheduling, so can Manly. For qualifying finals at Brookvale, they have always gotten around 20k.

I'm wondering what Parra had to play for last month as well? But if you are defending a semi final crowd by minor premiers being 4k more than a Monday night game by a cellar dweller, or a 5pm Saturday game after the seasons biggest flogging, you may as well give up.
Loudy, I love your passion for the Storm.
:lol::lol:

big_matt

Juniors
Big Matt, this thread is about your pathetic crowds to finals games. You blame the sun, moon, stars........! I recall a Kings of Leon concert getting blamed for one. Now it's an AFL game next door.

Match scheduling? Maybe you are right. The NRL has a terrible finals scheduling policy that seems to be held together by a zillion band aids, so much so that it would fall apart of altered. Then again, since when has AFL been played on Sunday arvo? My point re crowds in qualifying finals of the past suggests 15k is about right in Melbourne - therefore the AFL game didnt affect it much at all. Didnt the Storm go head to head with AFL in finals time a few years ago - and do OK?

Besides, if you can blame match scheduling, so can Manly. For qualifying finals at Brookvale, they have always gotten around 20k.

I'm wondering what Parra had to play for last month as well? But if you are defending a semi final crowd by minor premiers being 4k more than a Monday night game by a cellar dweller, or a 5pm Saturday game after the seasons biggest flogging, you may as well give up.

What are you using as a reference point here?

Where do you have stats for a preliminary final in our new stadium? because as far as I'm aware there hasn't been one.

Where have I blamed everything? I've blamed one single thing: The AFL game in direct competition with us. This is a fact the world over: baseball crowds affect NFL crowds etc. You need to accept people can't be in 2 places at once. I know people who are Storm and Carlton members. How can they physically be in both stadiums?

I asked you about 5 questions and you've yet again dodged them all to come back with lies and idiotic statements. So I'll ask them again:

1) Would a 95k NRL crowd right next to a Sydney Swans game in Sydney affect the Swans fan numbers that game?

2) Did the 95k AFL fans right across the road affect the Storm crowd at all? (I'll give you a clue - I had mates who really wanted to come to the Storm game but are carlton members).

3) Why are you comparing Olympic Park qualifying finals crowds with what we would have got on Sunday? Our crowds and memberships have gone up across the board in our new stadium so it's surely fae to assume our finals crowds would have also.

4) Who blamed a kings of leon concert for previous crowds? Quote it in your response please.

5) Why is an Eels fans spending all of their time taking the piss out of Melbourne crowds when your crowds have been disgraceful this year (and you've been around many many decades longer than us and are in an NRL heartland)? Don't blame a losing season please - or if you do please admit that real fans turn up in good times and bad, not just when a grand final appearance is coming up.

6) When did I say Manly couldn't blame scheduling? I've said many times on this thread I accept that Manly fans with very young children would struggle to make a late game. The Manly fans saying driving 40 minutes is too far don't get any sympathy from me.

7) AFL is played every single Sunday of the year. What are you talking about?

I wont respond to your reply as it wont answer any of the above, or if it does it will just use lies and things I havent said to make up your 'argument'

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
The reason why the games are at 6:30/8:30pm respectively is because of Ch9. Yes, I agree that 5:30/7:30pm, like it was during 2001-03 (however, both of these games were on 1hr delay), or even 6/8pm would've been a lot better but it would never happen now because of the 6pm news being the stumbling block (as well as the fact that all finals games have to be shown live).

So, if the 8:30pm timeslot gets done away with and all games have to be shown live, the best alternative I can think of is moving the 8:30pm timeslot to 4pm. There could be a 30 min or so pre-game show for both games at 3:30pm, with QF2 starting at approximately 4pm which leads into the 6pm news. QF3 coverage could start at either 6:30 or 7:30pm. However, 6:30pm would get higher ratings as it has the 6pm as the lead-in, followed by 30 min post-game show.

I know there has been a lot of resistance to bringing back Sat arvo footy and quite understandably (for reasons which have already been mentioned thousands of times before in previous threads). I don't know what you guys think of this idea. And if this idea was implemented this year, I don't know how many ppl would've gone to the Broncos/Warriors game at 4pm (and what the ratings would've been like). Also, I don't know what would've happen in a situation like last year's QF2 where it went 19 minutes into golden point.

However, I don't know if Ch9 is really going to ditch the 8:30pm game especially since it got very good ratings this year (compared to last year, where the tv audience halved).

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Round and round we go.

OK. New Stadium. Should get bigger crowds right? I guess your average home ground jumped by 3k on 2009. Well done. Should have gotten better then.

Oh year, the Storm fans really really wanted to go, but just had to go to the AFL instead. What my point has been all along is that those people who chose AFL over the Storm are only secondary League fans anyway. Isnt the job to increase the amount of people who are first and foremost League fans?

As to your 5 utterly stupid and irrelevant questions.......which is actually 7 you dumb scottish spastic........

1) I guess 95k in the SFS would affect a Swans game, especially the disaster relief crews desperately trying to search for survivors in the wreckage of the collapsed stadium that is trying to hold twice it's capacity. (Being a League fan, I couldnt care if they had a doube header with a Superbowl and FA Cup Final next door. I'd still go to the RL game)

2) I doubt it.

3) Why not? Its the closest thing to a real comparison that you or I could ever come up with. Ironic that they are eerily similar, isnt it.

4)A stack of Storm fans in early 09 from memory. Look it up yourself.

5) Dunno. Ask him. I'm only spending a small portion of my day discussing it. And if we are going to include Parras crowds (only because you have nothing else to have a go at me about because you cant handle the truth) they have been better than yours this season. But that's really irellevent, because while we were careering toward a spoon, you have been careering toward a premiership.

6) Carrying on about not playing at Brooky - that's irelevent, but your scheduling woes are real?

7) Really? I thought AFL was mainly a friday night and saturday arvo code. I didnt know they played sundays, or had a 52 week comp.

Bastards. You'd think they would have their finals at Christmas to stop the clash with ours.

Just wondering, why do you really want to know these things if you wont reply? Seems rather silly to me. You could at least thank me for your education. Tight arsed bloody Scots...........

Last edited:

Stormsally

Juniors
Hey Loudstrat,

I'll tell you why the crowds in Melbourne were poor.

1. Everyone in Melbourne (even Storm fans) are AFL supporters in someway or form and there was a massive Melbourne based AFL round. It was a classic sit on the couch and/or go to a game round. No one other than Storm members were venturing out to watch another sport. Hell even at the Storm game those around were giving us updates on the game at the G.

This is our reality - Storm fans know what RL in Melbourne is about. It isn't about competing with AFL it is about 'sharing a piece of the pie'.

2. We only get good crowds against popular teams. Warriors, Broncos, Staints, Broncos. That's it. There is no way that Storm was going to attract more than the core members/supporters to a 1 v 8 game against the Knights.

Storm only has two type of supporters. Members/fanatics or casual supporters who will attend a match on a whim. The membership is growing, our 'big' game crowds are growing. The new ground helps this.

Storm fans are realistic about there profile in Melbourne, I suspect those who think that all of Melbourne should have converted to RL and be Storm supporters just enjoy the troll a little to much

lol settle down you didn't play that much of a part. I always have a look and see what sort of numbers the traveling fans brings and while i'll give you the Stains fans bring the best numbers out of the Sydney teams there were only 2 away sections your fans were sitting and that was the bottom corner of the Eastern Stand (MCG) end and the bottom corner Southern stand (Yarra end). Obviously you'd have had a few others dotted around the place but you'd have been lucky to have 4-5k there and even then i'm being overly generous. While they're still good traveling numbers it still would've been a great crowd regardless...

Yes, and Storm were playing the Premiers, the Dragons.

Dotted like your nose on a corn hole.

Loudstrat

Coach
The reason why the games are at 6:30/8:30pm respectively is because of Ch9. Yes, I agree that 5:30/7:30pm, like it was during 2001-03 (however, both of these games were on 1hr delay), or even 6/8pm would've been a lot better but it would never happen now because of the 6pm news being the stumbling block (as well as the fact that all finals games have to be shown live).

So, if the 8:30pm timeslot gets done away with and all games have to be shown live, the best alternative I can think of is moving the 8:30pm timeslot to 4pm. There could be a 30 min or so pre-game show for both games at 3:30pm, with QF2 starting at approximately 4pm which leads into the 6pm news. QF3 coverage could start at either 6:30 or 7:30pm. However, 6:30pm would get higher ratings as it has the 6pm as the lead-in, followed by 30 min post-game show.

I know there has been a lot of resistance to bringing back Sat arvo footy and quite understandably (for reasons which have already been mentioned thousands of times before in previous threads). I don't know what you guys think of this idea. And if this idea was implemented this year, I don't know how many ppl would've gone to the Broncos/Warriors game at 4pm (and what the ratings would've been like). Also, I don't know what would've happen in a situation like last year's QF2 where it went 19 minutes into golden point.

However, I don't know if Ch9 is really going to ditch the 8:30pm game especially since it got very good ratings this year (compared to last year, where the tv audience halved).

I dunno what the TV audience stats are, but just had a look at crowd stats for the Qualifying Finals since 1999. On average, the first Saturday Night game gets the best crowds, then Friday night, the later Saturday Night game, and the Sunday game ends up about 5000 people on average less than the 3v6 first Saturday Night game.The average crowds dropped by 4000 between the two Saturday games.

The stats are:
4v5 - average crowd 23846
3v6 - average crowd 25409
2v7 - average crowd 21248
1v8 - average crowd 18063

Loudstrat

Coach
I wont respond to your reply

I wont respond to your answers.

Idiot!

Hey Loudstrat,

I'll tell you why the crowds in Melbourne were poor.

1. Everyone in Melbourne (even Storm fans) are AFL supporters in someway or form and there was a massive Melbourne based AFL round. It was a classic sit on the couch and/or go to a game round. No one other than Storm members were venturing out to watch another sport. Hell even at the Storm game those around were giving us updates on the game at the G.

This is our reality - Storm fans know what RL in Melbourne is about. It isn't about competing with AFL it is about 'sharing a piece of the pie'.
Thank you Sally. Finally, a sensible enlightening response. Living 1300km north east of Melbourne, it's sometimes difficult to grasp the difference in what makes a far flung place tick.

Thank you. Good luck in the finals :)

2. We only get good crowds against popular teams. Warriors, Broncos, Staints, Broncos. That's it. There is no way that Storm was going to attract more than the core members/supporters to a 1 v 8 game against the Knights.

Storm only has two type of supporters. Members/fanatics or casual supporters who will attend a match on a whim. The membership is growing, our 'big' game crowds are growing. The new ground helps this.

Storm fans are realistic about there profile in Melbourne, I suspect those who think that all of Melbourne should have converted to RL and be Storm supporters just enjoy the troll a little to much
Of course all of Victoria should be converted to RL, but we'll give it time. In NSW we are proud of the strong outpost of James Joyce Giltinan's dream for Australian sport that has cemented itself in Melbourne, and the crowds that stubbornly are beginning to approach those of some Sydney teams, despite the unfortunate controversies of recent tears.

The expansion that the former Sydney comp first embraced in 1982, and pursued throughout the following 2 decades, has, despite the attacks of some rationalists with an anti expansion agenda, found justification in Melbourne as it has in other states and territories, and overseas. With improved cooperation and goodwill between our two states I'm sure those silly trolling elements will wither away, and the stands at AAMI Park will be filled with the same fair minded, intelligent and forthright fans as you, and those who fill stadiums in NSW and other lesser states.

Latest posts