What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly still trying to get rid of Monaghan

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Monaghan saga continues
18 September 2005

The ongoing uncertainty about the future of Michael Monaghan's future at the Manly club has again flared in the weekend papers.

Conflicting reports from several papers show just how tenuous Monaghan's future at the club has become.

In the Sunday Telegraph Monaghan is quoted as saying he does not intend to relinquish the captaincy to Ben Kennedy, a representative player of immense experience who this year ran third in the Dally M awards and was an inspirational presence for the young Sea Eagles side.

Monaghan expresses the opinion that the captaincy complements his game and his belief that he did a good job of being skipper, despite the club’s implosion at the end of the 2005 season.

He also expresses his ongoing desire to play five eighth next year after losing the half back spot to the incoming Matt Orford.

This desire was contradicted by yesterday’s Manly Daily which is of the opinion that Monaghan will be moved to hooker, leaving Travis Burns and Michael Witt to fight over the vacant five eighth slot.

Meanwhile the Sun Herald alleges that factions at the Manly club were behind a recent rumour that Jamie Lyon had been released by the Parramatta Eels and was bound for Brookvale. The rumours are vigorously denied by Parramatta CEO Dennis Fitzgerald.

Apparently the point of the rumour was to further destabilize Monaghan and set him up for a possible transfer to another club, rumoured to be South Sydney.

The Herald quotes an anonymous e-mail that Monaghan was not wanted by the club’s retention committee and that he only remained at the club due to the largesse of club owner Max Delmege.

http://www.silvertails.net/news.php?extend.916

The Whippet

Juniors
How can the Telegraph be quoted as a reliable source?

The most disgraceful newspaper in the whole of Australia.

Cletus

First Grade
I remember the chip kick in that Roosters game they talked about in that e-mail. I thought the same thing, absolutely shocking decision.
I'd still rather him at 5/8 but he can't be captain at hooker if they are going to interchange Dunley.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Cayless gets interchanged but is captain
Kearns was captain this year but was getting interchanged
Rauhihi is another

Just because a player doesn't play 80 mins doesn't mean they can't be captain

Cletus

First Grade
How can you be captain if you play 40 mins? I'd rather have Kennedy as captain.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Putting Monaghan as skipper ahead of Kennedy is a little like what would have happened had Latham been elected.

An absolute debacle.

Cletus

First Grade
Mzilikazi said:
Putting Monaghan as skipper ahead of Kennedy is a little like what would have happened had Latham been elected.

An absolute debacle.

Does that make Kennedy John Howard?
Monaghan for captain!

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Onan the barbarian said:
I remember the chip kick in that Roosters game they talked about in that e-mail. I thought the same thing, absolutely shocking decision.
I'd still rather him at 5/8 but he can't be captain at hooker if they are going to interchange Dunley.
Ballin will get a go at hooker next year.

Burns and Witt in the frame for the number 6. (Witt will go a whole lot better when he has Orford passing him the ball).

Monaghan on $240k is getting paid more than Buderus, and he was a PL hooker at Canberra.

What a joke!

Mzilikazi

Juniors
They were not on either web-site. You'd have to buy the hardcopy to get a look (or beg a friend to type them in).

Mzilikazi

Juniors
I did type in the e-mail that the Herald quoted: This is what it said (refering to the FNF win against the Roosters)

“The funniest thing was people dismissing Monas’ chip kick as a minor blemish on his MOM performance, when the reality is, it was that type of poor decision making under pressure that led the retention committee to the view that he was not the half back to take us to the next level.”

“Anyway, Max Delmege rode in on his trusty steed and saved the day.”

no worries mate,thanks

you and i will have to agree to disagree on this one,as i am a Monnas fan and think he will be great next year either at hooker or five eighth,when he can share the workload with Orford

i think you know my opinions after the last Monnas thread you posted :))))))LOL