What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

Overseas dragon

Juniors
What a great bunch the kid gets maybe 10 minutes and he hasn't trained in the position and you idiots want to crucify him maybe he's not a half but give him at least a month after training in that position I'm talking about Mann obviously as for mcrone full of heart maybe a brave attempt anyone think they could do better talk to the coach and good luck with that

MattoDragon

Juniors
This is why we need a backup 6 or 7 in field on the bench .Can cover any spot in the backs.
Field is nowhere near first grade standard. In fact all you people calling for Field to be put into the NRL squad must be basing your call on his 9s form because he's done nothing since then. Ive watched every Steelers game and he just isn't close to playing firsts.

BennyV

Referee
As soon as this thread came up I knew that BennyV would take it as a personal insult.
I just hate it when people talk shit about my broth...I mean, what?

Lol but really, I'm very interested to know what Mann did or didnt in the circumstances to show he's not a half. I've even asked people directly (and it's fun watching Crush enter Objective View territory when it comes to avoiding questions and hiding his lack of footy knowledge) but nothing!

I'm a fan of Kurt (obviously) and think he's been very much messed around the last 2 years, but admittedly I'm not sure if he's a priority to re-sign at the moment. Says nothing of his ability in the halves.

Crush

Coach

Lol but really, I'm very interested to know what Mann did or didnt in the circumstances to show he's not a half. I've even asked people directly (and it's fun watching Crush enter Objective View territory when it comes to avoiding questions and hiding his lack of footy knowledge) but nothing!

I'm a fan of Kurt (obviously) and think he's been very much messed around the last 2 years, but admittedly I'm not sure if he's a priority to re-sign at the moment. Says nothing of his ability in the halves.
I don't claim to be an expert on football Benny. I hope you are right. I hope Mann does a great job at 6.

Vinnie

Juniors
A good or natural half will not sit back and wait ! They will seek opportunities and step up or create them ! Mann didn't !! He never even looked like he was capable. Lets not kid ourselves about training in that or any position, these guys are pro and full time and im sure they train to cover all positions.
As dissapointed as i am i have to say Mann is a centre/winger NOT A HALF. Hasn't got the instinct or the mind for it.
Don't belive for one second that he wasn't prepared, he just didnt step up.
For all his mistakes and possible inabilities i have to applaud McCrone who at least tried to take control and stepped up ... AT LEAST HE TRIED !!!
We need a half/utility player and it's not Mann so let's move on and find who will fill the role.

Vinnie

Juniors
I have to say as i forgot above .... I hope i'm wrong i really do cause i rate Mann !!! So i really really hope it was just a case of stage fright and confusion and he does play 5/8 and comes out and kills it !!
I'll be the first to apologise and will be happy to do so.

possm

Coach
What a great bunch the kid gets maybe 10 minutes and he hasn't trained in the position and you idiots want to crucify him maybe he's not a half but give him at least a month after training in that position I'm talking about Mann obviously as for mcrone full of heart maybe a brave attempt anyone think they could do better talk to the coach and good luck with that
Tells you more about the coach than the player. Doesn't matter how much work you strip out of the head coach for him, he is still a narrow thinking person who does not have the capacity to consider alternative situations to the one planned.

Mann should have been playing five-eighth in reserve grade instead of wasting his time sitting on the bench doing nothing. Once he had proved his worth as a five-eighth, then put him on the bench knowing he can do the job.

Belta

Juniors
Possum said; "...Mann should have been playing five eight in reserves.."

Exactly, it seems a simple philosophy that your reserves are backups for your firsts in their respective positions.

Firstly I wifi say Mann deserves a shot, but like others have expressed he does not fill me with a lot of confidence. Not trying to sound negative, rather just critical and no matter how that game finished the dragons can take a lot out of that game, there's no disputing that as we are are doing many things well. BUT next week MANN needs to show what he is about, that he can step up to the plate. The attitude he needs to bring is similar to what DCE spoke of when asked if WALKER was hoping or was looking around for someone else to take the kick, DCE laughed and said something like he's not that sort of bloke, Mann or Nona or whoever is picked needs to be that sort of bloke

ellskimore

Juniors

Fair enough.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
A good or natural half will not sit back and wait ! They will seek opportunities and step up or create them ! Mann didn't !! He never even looked like he was capable. Lets not kid ourselves about training in that or any position, these guys are pro and full time and im sure they train to cover all positions.
As dissapointed as i am i have to say Mann is a centre/winger NOT A HALF. Hasn't got the instinct or the mind for it.
Don't belive for one second that he wasn't prepared, he just didnt step up.
For all his mistakes and possible inabilities i have to applaud McCrone who at least tried to take control and stepped up ... AT LEAST HE TRIED !!!
We need a half/utility player and it's not Mann so let's move on and find who will fill the role.

Wow...

Once Widdop went off it was McCrone's job to really step up and take control of the team, which for most part he failed to do. If he had done that Mann could have cruised along and interjected himself when he saw an opportunity.

Unfortunately McCrone failed to step up at all and the team floundered with zero direction.

I thought Mann showed some creative flare with the minimal time he had to prove his worth but unfortunately wasn't given much a platform to work from.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Experts on here criticizing Mann obviously have no idea how hard it is to prepare for a game each week with zero game plan from the coach on how, when or if you're going to be used throughout the match.

Yet the kid is the ultimate professional and continues to give it his all.

I couldn't name a single player who could come up with an inspiring performance in such a close game whilst going from the bench to 5/8 to the wing within 20mins.

monsterkev

Juniors
Well
Experts on here criticizing Mann obviously have no idea how hard it is to prepare for a game each week with zero game plan from the coach on how, when or if you're going to be used throughout the match.

Yet the kid is the ultimate professional and continues to give it his all.

I couldn't name a single player who could come up with an inspiring performance in such a close game whilst going from the bench to 5/8 to the wing within 20mins.
I reckon you are spot on
A bit hard for the guy to shine with such little opportunity
give him a break
He has probably only played the equivalent of 1 full game so far this season due to McGregor
He played a thousand times better than most of the team last season and this is his reward
Stuff all game time
Harsh critics

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Played his juniors at half in the Storm system and Bellamy had him earmarked as a potential half for the future but hey what would he know. You guys must be right he is not a half. Not saying he is a brilliant half but if Bellamy can see something in him then he must have done something right when he played their in the junior days.

Mann is one of the few options they have in a short turn around. Field will get targeted big time by the scum Storm. I would defiantly throw Mann in against the Storm because he would have some background to how they play. Nothing to lose. Shaun Nona also played in the Storm from memory.

giboz71

First Grade
I think people wanted Mann to produce what Widdop does.

Problem is Widdop is probably one of the top 5 players in the comp right now so pretty tough to do.

As a centre/winger, I have no doubt Mann can do the job. But I still question his nerve when he is thrust into a key position (FB/halves).

We'll have a better idea after a full game at 5/8 and some time to prepare in the role.

Latest posts