What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu released. Back at the Warriors

Campion

Juniors
Didn’t packet punch/stomp someone? Imo Vatuvei’s crime is worse. But it’s all subjective. Don’t think I’d want him around my club but that’s beyond just the importing thing. I don’t think he was ever a good influence there and I’ve heard he’s an unpleasant narcissist when the cameras are off. Not good leadership material or role model imo.

Weekly random drug test in the employment contract?
Not a fan of what he did, drugs clearly ruin people's lives and he choose an easy way to make a buck rather than working hard.
Wasn't a fan of his final years with red bull and stilnox, stupid six (or seven?), off watching a movie when injured and team playing.
Great player though.

Leber

Bench
Drugs are bad, but geez… if they allowed packer, Matagi etc to actually play the game and get paid for it, I see no issue with this.

Has he actually shown any remorse or contrition?
We cannot answer that fairly as we haven't had contact with Manu recently. I am sure if he had been given an early release the authorities must see a good change in him. Let's not forget our brother who bled for our jersey. He was stupid and can now use his mistake as a prime example of NOT what to do for our young ones.

Meth

Staff member
Let's not forget our brother who bled for our jersey.

Sorry, I'm just not in this boat. There are plenty of players who bled for our jersey and didn't turn to importing class A drugs that have a devastating affect on our communities. Let his imprisonment and tarnished legacy be a cautionary tale and let's not do anything to take the edge off that. If he wants to do good, he can get out there and do it...but the club doesn't owe him anything IMO

For a start, I'd like to hear him say- "I was guilty, although I lied numerous times in saying that I wasn't"
He must of shown corrections enough to be even considered for an early release. He's stuffed his reputation already no need to continue put the boot in, especially when someone is trying to do the right thing after messing up. I'm not going to turn my back on someone who did a stupid thing. This is how redemption can be a powerful thing. Would you turn your back on a family member or friend for doing the same thing? Id be pissed off for sure but deep down I'd still be there to help a man change things around.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He must of shown corrections enough to be even considered for an early release. He's stuffed his reputation already no need to continue put the boot in, especially when someone is trying to do the right thing after messing up. I'm not going to turn my back on someone who did a stupid thing. This is how redemption can be a powerful thing. Would you turn your back on a family member or friend for doing the same thing? Id be pissed off for sure but deep down I'd still be there to help a man change things around.
I ram into an old mate a couple of nights ago who i had fallen out with because he f**ked up badly (drugs, assault, just went off the rails and ended up doing prison time). Last time I saw him he was still a mess and I wasn’t too keen on mending any fences but he seems to have his shit together better now, so he gets a chance again. You can’t keep punishing people forever (well unless it’s something really extreme like murder or molesting kids).

Meth

Staff member
you generally don’t get past the parole board that early without showing remorse and contrition so I would guess yes.

cool. Keen to hear him publicly admit that he was guilty and apologise for lying about it initially, as well as for doing it in the first place.

I have family members who have ruined their lives with the stuff he was pumping into our community. I think it's a joke he's out of prison and it's beyond a joke that the Warriors are willing to let him back into the club, especially with everything going well without him.

Meth

Staff member
Drugs are bad, but geez… if they allowed packer, Matagi etc to actually play the game and get paid for it, I see no issue with this.

Packer's act was post-Warriors career. Both he and Matagi got in a scrap.

OK- maybe that's understating it, but not the same as what Vatuvei did.

What we're doing is in the same league as getting Jarred Hayne as a sex and dating consultant.

cool. Keen to hear him publicly admit that he was guilty and apologise for lying about it initially, as well as for doing it in the first place.

I have family members who have ruined their lives with the stuff he was pumping into our community. I think it's a joke he's out of prison and it's beyond a joke that the Warriors are willing to let him back into the club, especially with everything going well without him.
In summary you just don't believe in 2nd chances. I am glad there are people out there that can see a good redemption arc here that's more powerful for the hurt community you've mentioned. Unsure how keeping your back to somebody who did something stupid helps them find the right way.

How's it different if it's you friend or family?

Manu is someone's friend, son, brother, nephew etc.

He's human and flawed.

Meth

Staff member
In summary you just don't believe in 2nd chances. I am glad there are people out there that can see a good redemption arc here that's more powerful for the hurt community you've mentioned. Unsure how keeping your back to somebody who did something stupid helps them find the right way.

How's it different if it's you friend or family?

Manu is someone's friend, son, brother, nephew etc.

He's human and flawed.

lol your summary is warped and weird overly-emotional drivel.

I'd prefer him to serve more of his sentence, but he's out. Hope he stays out of trouble. I don't know why his 'second chance' has to extend to any sort of role at the NZ Warriors. (Hint: It doesn't)

Meth

Staff member
I don't mind if you don't mind Manu Vatuvei having a role at the club, but spare me the waterworks and platitudes.

"Manu is someone's friend, son, brother, nephew etc.

He's human and flawed."

Give me a f**king break.

JJ

Immortal
Astonished at the casual acceptance -and whataboutism here …importing meth etc is not a minor thing, in any way shape or form…. The harm is huge

I don't mind if you don't mind Manu Vatuvei having a role at the club, but spare me the waterworks and platitudes.

"Manu is someone's friend, son, brother, nephew etc.

He's human and flawed."

Give me a f**king break.

You must be an understanding person when someone in your life screws up smh. Emotions can be used in a positive way to make things right. In a way Manu could be more of a help to society going down this pathway than he ever did on the footy field.

Astonished at the casual acceptance -and whataboutism here …importing meth etc is not a minor thing, in any way shape or form…. The harm is huge
Whats astonishing to me is the response of 'turning your back on someone we all adored at one stage' (Some still do. I'm one) The Club and our corrections seem to see something good here. Unsure why people are harping on about the harms of importing meth when its just as important to ensure the people making these stupid crimes are given a chance to reform. The old turn your back or throw the key away method is just as damaging to our society.

lol your summary is warped and weird overly-emotional drivel.

I'd prefer him to serve more of his sentence, but he's out. Hope he stays out of trouble. I don't know why his 'second chance' has to extend to any sort of role at the NZ Warriors. (Hint: It doesn't)
I find your response a little warped and unforgiving lol
Also your username, the irony lol