What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mario Please Read

nz_kid

Juniors
Mario when i grow up i wanna be a person like you who makes games and stuff but i can't seem to find out any information on the job so i was woundring if you could tell me how to get into the job and maybe some useful sites

nz_kid

Juniors
Yeah of course i do lol just joking nah i really want to be a game maker i think it would be a awsome job :)

Mario

Juniors
Keep an eye on the New Zealand Game Developers Association website at www.nzgda.com. The News page holds announcements of various courses and events.

A bunch of NZ companies listed on there making great games who no doubt will be expanding over time, so there should be more job opportunities in NZ over time.

There will be some information on there in the coming months detailing specifically how to get into the industry in NZ and Australia - including what kind of courses to take, how to prepare a portfolio, how to approach a developer for a job etc.

There is also a great community of aspiring Australasian game developers at www.sumea.com.au. Lots of links and ongoing discussion about various topics.

nz_kid

Juniors
Thanks for that Mario I really apeciate it, Also do you have to be a good drawer to be a game maker

Thanks

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
it depends on weather you want 2 be a graphic designer or a programmer a graphic designer is the person that draws the graphics (yer i know its obvious) and a programmer is a person who writes the source code for a program if youve ever used any visual programs youll know wat i mean i also want 2 be a game developer but (sigh) im 2 young maybe if i wasnt in yr 8.......

nz_kid

Juniors
Yeah i'm to young aswell i'm only 14 maybe you and i will work in the same place i want to be a game programer because i cant draw for s**t
lol i just wanna get some info so i can look into it because i wanted to be a film editor but i have changed my mind lol

Mario

Juniors
In that case, make sure you keep studying, and look to do subjects like maths, physics, and english.

Learn what you can off the web too - there are heaps of resources out there for learning to program, and specifically for game programming.

TripleM

Juniors
Yeah. Just nothing for programming with graphics :( well theres some programs that do all the programming for you and have their own system of doing stuff, but if you're building it from scratch the only way seems to be to use OpenGL and thats far too hard for me.. I've tried :(

nz_kid

Juniors
Thanks Mario you are being a real help i don't see how you have got time to help people like myself so mario do you have to do maths, english and physics or do they help you to get a job for example if you dident do them then the job interviewer would probley pick someone with those subjects and maybe not those without those subjects? Also would media studies be handy? And 1 more question do you live in New Zealand?

Thanks agian i will ask you some more questions soon i dont want to overload you with questions :D

Mario

Juniors
Doing those subjects will give you a good foundation for programming. You'll need those sorts of subjects to get into a programming course once you finish high school. Media studies wouldn't hurt either.

And yes, I live in Wellington, NZ.

nz_kid

Juniors
So Mario around about how much do you get paid and are you a game producer if so what kind of jobs do you do apart from making games

Priddo

Juniors
TripleM said:
Yeah. Just nothing for programming with graphics :( well theres some programs that do all the programming for you and have their own system of doing stuff, but if you're building it from scratch the only way seems to be to use OpenGL and thats far too hard for me.. I've tried :(

direct3d maybe????? although im not sure if opengl is harder then direct3d........anyway i learnt c++ at 14 so its not to early to start nz kid or kimmorleykiller.

Mario

Juniors
nz_kid said:
So Mario around about how much do you get paid

I'll pass on answering that :)

and are you a game producer if so what kind of jobs do you do apart from making games

I'm the producer on the project, so kind of like the organiser or trouble shooter.

In addition, I do a bunch of other stuff like business development, marketing, strategic stuff etc.

HBG

Juniors
Mario said:
nz_kid said:
So Mario around about how much do you get paid

I'll pass on answering that :)

and are you a game producer if so what kind of jobs do you do apart from making games

I'm the producer on the project, so kind of like the organiser or trouble shooter.

In addition, I do a bunch of other stuff like business development, marketing, strategic stuff etc.

Not too mention rescuing young damsels from giant Gorillas, hurling oil barrells downwards. You jump over the the top, and 100 pts.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
i can do simple programing in visual basic thx 2 a little book called "idiots guide 2 visual basic 6" at the moment im trying 2 make rugbyleague version of pacman its taken about 6 weeks but i think im almost finished its pretty hard 2 tell with these things though :D :D :D :D :D

Priddo

Juniors
KimmorleyKiller said:
i can do simple programing in visual basic thx 2 a little book called "idiots guide 2 visual basic 6" at the moment im trying 2 make rugbyleague version of pacman its taken about 6 weeks but i think im almost finished its pretty hard 2 tell with these things though :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: i wonder if they have an idiots guide to c++ because no way idiots would understand anyway.....

vb 6 is what im making 2 games in at the moment its a nice simple language really.....

Erhan

Juniors
Priddo said:
KimmorleyKiller said:

:lol: i wonder if they have an idiots guide to c++ because no way idiots would understand anyway.....

vb 6 is what im making 2 games in at the moment its a nice simple language really.....

I have a copy of idiots guide to c++ lying around someone collecting dust. It's a good companion to the required textbook for the subject being done.

nz_kid

Juniors
KimmorleyKiller

How are you making a game did you have to buy software or did you download it? Also is it hard making that pac man rugby lrgue game?
And 1 more question I wouldent have a clue on how to make a game or programing is there somehting tips or things that you could tell me about, Mario you can also answer this question