What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marque Player allowance voted in for ESL

LineBall

Juniors
Just reading on Twitter that ESL clubs have voted in favour for a marque player allowance. Will this attract players at their peak here in Aus, or just give those past their prime, living off past glories an even bigger retirement package? Thoughts?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Depends how much the owners are willing to spend on a league that has relatively little revenue. If they put in a million pounds a year they could get pretty much anyone.

POPEYE

Coach
Hope the Poms realise what 'marquee' means, if you're allowed one bite at the cherry you'd imagine nothing less than a SBW, Sammy B or Thurston/Cronk would suffice. Imagine the best half dozen Australian playmakers elongating their careers for a shitload of cash while holidaying in Europe, still in demand back home when they tire of recreating the English game

Once a few more thousand youngsters in England became attracted to the game the Poms could bivouac a team in Australia to play NRL . . . now that would really be something

UNION TROLL

Juniors
From the SL site
Warrington Wolves are set to lead the hunt for a high-profile recruit for 2016 after First Utility Super League clubs voted to adopt a marquee-player rule.
Under the terms of the amendment, the marquee player will have a notional value of either £100,000 if club trained or £175,000 if non-club trained which will count on their salary cap of £1.825million.
The Rugby Football League say clubs will only be allowed to sign a marquee player if they meet clearly-defined affordability criteria based around their income and expenditure.
Several clubs are expected to use the ruling to keep their top players away from the clutches of the NRL and rugby union while Wigan Warriors will take advantage of the exemption to ease the return of England full-back Sam Tomkins.
Salford Red Devils and Leeds Rhinos may be tempted to make a play for a big name from the NRL while Warrington coach Tony Smith says his club have drawn up a list of potential targets.
"You need to make sure the rule went through and now hopefully we can go out and knowingly shop," said the former England boss.
Smith, who has already recruited Australian utility back Kurt Gidley for 2016, broadly welcomed the change.
"It's progress in some respects," Smith said."I just think we've stagnated as a sport to keep our salary cap around the region it has been.
"We haven't progressed much and at some stage it's got to happen. I think salary-capping has served some purposes in protecting ourselves from ourselves and keeping the competition close but a lot of our players are getting picked off by other sports.
"You go to Magic Weekend and you see all the Australian managers and recruitment officers, who are not here to watch the rugby, they're here to identify our players.
"You can't blame young players for wanting to try their hand in Australia but it would be nice to be able to financially help them stay here. The NRL salary cap keeps on growing and growing."
Wigan coach Shaun Wane admits the marquee player rule will save him making some tough decisions on how to accommodate Tomkins, who will return to Super League next season after a two-year stint with New Zealand Warriors, and praised officials for backing the move.
"I think it's great news," he said. "I know quite a few of the chairmen have been pushing for it. If it lifts the profile of the game, then I'm all in favour of it.
"Obviously if we can bring some great players to the club - like we already have got some great players - and we get a better team, then I'm all in favour of it."

Read more at superleague.co.uk

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just going to widen an alReady wide gulf in quality in SL further. Not so much the marquee player but the knock on in what they can not afford to pay the rest due to the top player freeing up so much cash. Be interesting to see if any club is actually making enough profit to make a big play for anyone.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just going to widen an alReady wide gulf in quality in SL further. Not so much the marquee player but the knock on in what they can not afford to pay the rest due to the top player freeing up so much cash. Be interesting to see if any club is actually making enough profit to make a big play for anyone.

It may or may not widen the gulf but you cannot gear the leagues conditions to the lowest commom denominator, that way it just puts the clubs and game in a position where they cannot grow the brand or sport. Leeds, wigan and whoever else need to be at the table when any elite league or union player for that matter comes to market, currently the cap means they cannot even entertain approaching am SBW, thurston or even sammy burgess.

I am all for the marquee system and think the way they have done it will work. Super league needs more big names and an ability to compete just to keep its best players and this is a means to doing that, altbough an increase im the cap in general would help that as well.

roughyedspud

Coach
so any big name aussie will only go down on the cap at £175,000....our big clubs,wigan,leeds,st helens,warrington.........salford....... could chuck another £300-£350,000 on top of that.......thats $900,000 plus in plastic money....thats top dollar NRL money...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
so any big name aussie will only go down on the cap at £175,000....our big clubs,wigan,leeds,st helens,warrington.........salford....... could chuck another £300-£350,000 on top of that.......thats $900,000 plus in plastic money....thats top dollar NRL money...

Sure is. Would be great to see it become an option for players in their prime to have a stint in SL similar to the union french option that so many wallabies at their peak are taking

roughyedspud

Coach
At the stage im not arsed if its a 30+ year old seeking one last payday...having a billy slater,cooper cronk,cam smith for a season will be worth the hype imo...and then in time the 28-29 year olds will see it as a option...then the 26-27 year olds eventually...

We have to be careful though we don't waste the money on injury prone players like a hodges or gallen.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Will clubs be allowed to "sell" their marquee option to other clubs, like Marwan Koukash wanted so a club like Wakey could offload their option to a club that could afford 2 marquee players, like Salford. ??

Also, do you think there should be any perquisites before a club can use its marquee option, such as a decent stadium? So wakey, cas etc. would have to get themselves in order before they spend a fortune on one player.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Will clubs be allowed to "sell" their marquee option to other clubs, like Marwan Koukash wanted so a club like Wakey could offload their option to a club that could afford 2 marquee players, like Salford. ??

Also, do you think there should be any perquisites before a club can use its marquee option, such as a decent stadium? So wakey, cas etc. would have to get themselves in order before they spend a fortune on one player.
It's just a one-off salary cap dispensation. 'Selling' it doesn't make any sense, that's just like selling an unused part of your salary cap, it's nonsense. I imagine every club in the league will use the marquee player option in some way apart from the clubs that aren't currently spending close to the full cap, which is a worry in itself for them.

JasonE

Bench
I would hope that players like Kyle Eastmond and Sam Burgess can be tempted back from Union.

Harrigan

Juniors
At the stage im not arsed if its a 30+ year old seeking one last payday...having a billy slater,cooper cronk,cam smith for a season will be worth the hype imo...and then in time the 28-29 year olds will see it as a option...then the 26-27 year olds eventually...

We have to be careful though we don't waste the money on injury prone players like a hodges or gallen.

I have a feeling Gallen might be in Leeds colours next year...

deal.with.it

Juniors
It's just a one-off salary cap dispensation. 'Selling' it doesn't make any sense, that's just like selling an unused part of your salary cap, it's nonsense. I imagine every club in the league will use the marquee player option in some way apart from the clubs that aren't currently spending close to the full cap, which is a worry in itself for them.

You've contradicted your own statement. Selling your marquee allowance does make sense. It gives a club like wakey that doesnt spend the whole cap to make some money.
And getting back to my question, should wakey have to improve their facilities (ie stadium) before they sell their allowance - or should the rfl dictate what they use the sale of the allowance for?

Evil Homer

Staff member
You've contradicted your own statement. Selling your marquee allowance does make sense. It gives a club like wakey that doesnt spend the whole cap to make some money.
And getting back to my question, should wakey have to improve their facilities (ie stadium) before they sell their allowance - or should the rfl dictate what they use the sale of the allowance for?
It makes about as much sense as Wakefield, who don't spend the full salary cap, selling 100k of their cap space to another club.

And I don't see what the quality of their stadium has to do with anything here. You're acting as though Wakefield haven't been desperately trying to build a new stadium for the past 10 years.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It makes about as much sense as Wakefield, who don't spend the full salary cap, selling 100k of their cap space to another club.

And I don't see what the quality of their stadium has to do with anything here. You're acting as though Wakefield haven't been desperately trying to build a new stadium for the past 10 years.

What is the latest on that and the castleford stadium for that matter? Have not seen any news on either in some time

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Id guess Burgess, Hokko and Foran are good bets at the moment.

O ESL taking back someof the pom import to aus like Graham.

roughyedspud

Coach
If foran won't leave sydney for auckland cos of his family...hes not going to drag them to leeds,st helens,wigan or warrington is he!...

James graham is gonna finish his career at the canterbury..

Sam burgess will NOT come back to ESL ever...when hes done at bath hes going back to the NRL..

the twins aren't going anywhere....and luke won't move the missus & baby daughter away from sydney..

The widdop to leeds rumour has surfaced again this weekend,he'd be crazy to come back to england imo...his next NRL contract could be huge with a number of clubs fighting to sign him..