What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marsh predicts an Eels revival

dazeely

First Grade
Marsh predicts an Eels revival
Stuart Honeysett, Margie McDonald
February 05, 2005

PARRAMATTA fans take heart - PJ Marsh believes the mood in the Eels camp heading into the 2005 season is as high as when they dominated the competition in 2001.

That was the year the Eels swept all before them during the regular season and broke a swag of records before falling at the final hurdle to Newcastle in the grand final.

It has been three years in the doldrums since then and Parramatta will be hoping to get their 2005 campaign off on the right foot when they tackle Cronulla in a trial at Lismore in northern NSW tonight.

"The boys are cracking jokes, they're a good bunch of guys and from what I can see it reminds me of when we were having fun in 2001," Marsh said.

"There's just a good feel around the club and I know most teams say that every year, but I really do feel there's just something else about this year."

For Marsh, it will be the first time in almost two years that he has taken the field for a game of football.

The 24-year-old left Parramatta at the end of 2001 to link with the Warriors but a serious neck injury midway through the 2003 season and a series of operations has kept him on the sidelines.

"I can't wait, it's been a long time coming and the day is almost here, so I'm looking forward to it," Marsh said.

"I always knew this day would arrive - I just wanted it sooner - but I wasn't going to go against doctors orders."

Marsh carved a career playing hooker for the Warriors - his work out of dummy-half was so effective he was rewarded with a State of Origin jumper for Queensland.

However, the Eels are hoping he will be the answer to their long-term problems at halfback.

Parramatta will unveil their new additions for the 2005 season at tonight's trial at Oakes Oval, including hooker Mark Riddell, lock Glenn Morrison, prop Paul Stringer and centre Timana Tahu.