What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall tipped as kid's TV show host

Hindyscrack

Bench
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=62053

Thursday Mar 16 19:47 AEDT
Wests Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall is tipped to become the star of his own children's TV show after impressing television executives at the Nine Network.
Marshall, who is recovering from a fractured cheekbone he sustained in the NRL season opener against St George Illawarra, will make his TV commentary debut during his side's prime time clash against the Bulldogs on Friday night.
Steve Crawley, Channel Nine's director of sport in Sydney, has tipped a bright future for the 21-year-old, saying: "This kid has got something special."
"I wouldn't at all be surprised, if he puts in the work now, if Benji ends up with his own kid's show," Crawley told AAP.[/IMG][/URL]"This kid is different, he doesn't walk in like a 20-year-old, he walks in like JFK.
"You can just tell he's a talent. Nine identified Matthew Johns at an early age and we've started doing some work with him, and Andrew Johns is doing some work with us.
"He is receptive to learn. I think what he has got is a confidence and a presence.
"Whether that translates or not into a good television commentator or a star on TV I don't know, but we're willing to gamble on that.
"If he puts in the hard work, I think that could be a winner for everyone, a kid's show."
Marshall, who is doing a communications course at Sydney University, made an immediate impression on Nine CEO Eddie McGuire when he handled himself capably in an interview by Matthew Johns at the NRL season launch.
McGuire and Marshall met that night and when the star five-eighth told him he wasn't contracted to the network, McGuire said: "You are now".
Crawley said Marshall definitely had the X-factor.
"(I know) because my kids keep running through the house pretending they're Benji Marshall," he said.
"You go to the footy and every kid in the junior sides has got the Benji step.
"He has been coming in the last couple of weeks, we've been talking about things to do and the club has supported him doing a cadetship here and learning about the business.
"He's also genuinely interested in the industry, a lot of ex-footballers think `what am I going to do next' and ring me up, but this kid is turning up at the beginning of his career, which is nice.
"Currently our youngest commentator is 36 years of age (Matthew Johns), this one is 21 and 21-year-olds listen to different music, listen to different movies and talk a different way.
"We've got to get with the times.

wittyfan

Referee
Channel 7 really has 9 rattled.

I don't recall Johns being on TV early on in his career. In fact, his TV career only started pretty much towards the end.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Johns was on tele mid way through his career, you could see his talent back then...

Personally I think its a good thing for the game.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Hopefully it is a rugby league based kids show like the AFL has .. featuring the new mascots in a cartoon or something and benji interviewing players giving kids tips stuff like that. If it's not rugby league related then I hope he just sticks to playing footy.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Benji is different to most NRL guys the same age as him, but in saying that he is still a 21yr old and has only played Tackle Rugby League for only 3yrs and still has alot to learn about the game and improvement left in his own game which will take time

I just hope this doesn't take away from his footy and he doesn't change his level headiness that he has at the moment

PB

Bench
A contract with channel nine might make sure he doesn't go to rugby union....

wittyfan

Referee
markstan said:
Yep

Channel 9 identifying you as talented = a death sentence

You're talking about a channel that has rammed Richard Wilkins down our throats for 20 years.

The golden era is over for Nine.

Mr Saab

Referee
Gaz could also join High 5. One of the members is pregnant and will be out of action soon.
Gaz could also parade as Humphrey....i mean who would know who is under the suit.
Gaz could also have his own show like Hot Dogs on ch10. "Up Late with Gaz"...Gaz loves the "phones"

Slappy

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Will we see a new cooking show in coming weeks? Cooking with Gaz.....

That show would be a riot!

"tonight on cooking with Gaz i'm gonna prepare some chicken in a toey human 'spurt' sauce!

"We'll just light the oven,... it's not working,....
it won't start....f*#@... FIRE UP YA' SAD C%*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

~~~SHOW TERMINATED~~~~~

Latest posts