What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall to leave the Tigers

aaronsdragons

Juniors
St George Illawarra are also understood to have expressed a desire to sign the disrgruntled Marshall, whose manager, Martin Tauber, informed Wests Tigers chief operating officer Grant Mayer last night about his client's controversial decision.

The Dragons are searching for a five-eighth after Jamie Soward signed with Penrith for the next four years and are believed to have made a massive approach to Marshall's management.

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust did not returns calls last night.

This was on foxsports site this morning

mentions us a potential new home for Marshall weather this actually happens or not it to be seen in the near future.. Widdop and Marshall in the halfs would really be a dream come true

Minh

First Grade
He's contracted to the Tigers until 2015 so I doubt the Tigers would release him to play for another NRL club. They say that if he decides to play union then there is nothing the Tigers can do about it though so I guess that may be his only option.

Minh

First Grade
BTW it is clear that he Marshall is a big name in rugby league and he already has media experience and with a future in the media beyond his league career highly likely. Something he may lose if he goes to union. On form he may not even make that NZ Rugby Union team and fade into obscurity.

Puff

First Grade
We have a salary cap, and unless we want to see the same team winning the comp year in year out the cap is here to stay, there is nothing MT can say on radio that will change that. No, tigers cant keep their juniors and overpaid duds, as well as a Marshall pricing himself out of a tigers stay based on a turnaround on a handshake agreement that his manager should be all too familiar with.

Furthermore, no MT doesn't deserve a call from the NRL to cheat the cap to keep his highly paid 5/8th in the game. I understand we want to keep our stars, but the game will not sustain so many teams that are in the red trying to keep up with the Broncos and teams funded by the nrl/sugardaddies. It will become like watching La Liga. And seriously, being a soccer fan, that's as boring as batshit due to its predictability.

BradMackay

Juniors
Next Headline will be:

"Marshall joins Sheens at Dragons in 2014" - Danny Weidler

SHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenninga

First Grade
Martin Tauber was on Big sports this morning frustrated that a handshake agreement was not honoured by the tigers. Interesting comments when you hark back to the Moltzen fiasco.

For the record - Benji will be a massive loss to us, you don't chuck out once in a generation players with his clout on and off the field.

This is what's so annoying ,a nobody who is a manager get's airtime when it is these parasites who are squeezing the game for more money for not only their clients ,but themselves.
Rather hear from the player himself,not a sleazy scumbag.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What was he on $700,000? ....hes still got something to offer the game at the Tigers but if hes after more loot then I can understand them not wanting to pay more if that was the case...especially as hes not getting any younger, and he doesn't have the same impact week in week out like he had before...

BennyV

Referee
With so many young halves coming through, his impact off the field should be considered in terms of mentoring...but not for more money than what he is already getting. On the field he is useless unless he can slim down and regain his agility...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
A club with so much drama and on top of that an injury list longer than most clubs and are 12th whilst Saints are 15th.

Soward is released by the Saints a few weeks ago and was part of a Premiership winning team just 3 years ago (same position as Marshal) not 8 years ago. I think Saints are in more crisis than they are but instead like to blame the roster rather that the real culprits. At least the Tigers don't scoop that low. ANd the DID try and keep Marshall by offering him a contract unlike Saints. Saints are in worse shape than people think and this will only deflect the attention away from a while.

jenninga

First Grade
A club with so much drama and on top of that an injury list longer than most clubs and are 12th whilst Saints are 15th.

Soward is released by the Saints a few weeks ago and was part of a Premiership winning team just 3 years ago (same position as Marshal) not 8 years ago. I think Saints are in more crisis than they are but instead like to blame the roster rather that the real culprits. At least the Tigers don't scoop that low. ANd the DID try and keep Marshall by offering him a contract unlike Saints. Saints are in worse shape than people think and this will only deflect the attention away from a while.

:(

C Stanley > Marshall.

I don't like challenging a moderator, and GKD's opinions are usually quite sensible and well considered IMO.

But... Really???

As a centre, Runciman > C Stanley.

As a 5/8, C Stanley > than a life sized cardboard cutout of Marshall.

And I base that on current form.

Gotta love a Dragons tragic (who's also a journo) having a dig occasionally:

"In one corner, Marshall was branded a fading superstar who has put himself ahead of the club and should have been delighted with the $2 million deal. Good riddance. In the other, the firm view was the club had treated him appallingly because it had failed to honour the initial deal, inflated though it may have been.
(In the third corner, Dragons fans sniggered it was karma because they had seen Tim Moltzen renege on a deal to join their club for the 2012 season, most likely on the advice of his best mate Marshall)."

Nice one Webbie - karma, of the sweetest variety, indeed.....

grouch

First Grade

Err, no, not really.
Soward's drop in form was far more pronounced than Marshall's - hence the ladder position.
Soward was off contract - the Dragons sought a replacement early for next year and found one.

Latest posts