What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason Charged With Drink Driving

Burwood

Bench
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2047961/willie-mason-charged-with-drink-driving/?cs=303

Newcastle Knight Willie Mason will face court next month on a drink-driving charge.

A police spokeswoman said that a 33-year-old man from Charlestown was stopped for a random breathtest where he gave a reading of 0.79.

He was issued a court attendance notice for low-range drink-driving and will face Newcastle Local Court on February 20.

The Knights issued a statement saying Mason failed the test on his way to training.

The club declined to make any further comment.

That'll just about do me. Gagai in the papers yesterday for the wrong reasons, and now Mason in today after blowing low-range.

Spot On

Coach
Boys r on fire. Great f**king start to the season.

Why can't these blokes handle their grog????

If you've had a big day/night on the grog then catch a cab for christ sake.

What's next?

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Come on guys. Stop being pissheads. You don't need to drink in excess (or at all) to have a good time.

Hopefully they have learnt a few lessons over the last few months and get their shit together.

This is going to get bigger and bigger this story i believe. The repercussions of this combined with Gagai and Packer recent behaviour means our supposed new culture is looking shaky at present. I think this will not end well if it becomes an enduring issue. Senior club player/ groupleader and the man Bennett puts trust in the most just let him down badly.

Last edited:

saints4ever

First Grade
On his way to training? Has this been confirmed? Can't believe Bennett would allow a player to turn up even the slightest bit out of it. If true, maybe it's lucky the cops got him first

Frederick

Staff member
On his way to training? Has this been confirmed? Can't believe Bennett would allow a player to turn up even the slightest bit out of it. If true, maybe it's lucky the cops got him first

How was Bennett supposed to know mason had alcohol in his system when he left home to go to training? :?

Stinkler

Juniors
I just read it was 0.09
That's mid range.

There's precedent from last year too.
Tamou was fined $20,000 and banned for a few weeks wasn't he?

Naughty Willie.

Bennett just went public about our strong culture. He is going to be in a jovial mood over this one......................

Pugzley

drunk-funny-randy-marsh-south-park-Favim.com-232662.gif

perverse

Referee
So I'm guessing Willie had a pretty solid bender on Australia Day and wasn't smart enough to catch a cab to work on Monday?

Stupid, but Willie isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. It's not exactly Packer level stupid, though. Will get away with a slap on the wrist. Unfortunately bad timing.

perverse

Referee
Yeah, you really don't want to be the player advertising our sport. Should come with hazard pay.

aqua_duck

Coach
I just read it was 0.09
That's mid range.

There's precedent from last year too.
Tamou was fined $20,000 and banned for a few weeks wasn't he?

Naughty Willie.

The Tamou case is completely different, Willie obviously had a few the night before, went to bed and woke up thinking he was sweet, he was careless and made an error in judgement, what Tamou done was reckless, he got blind and got behind the wheel when he didn't even have a licence.

Stinkler

Juniors
The Tamou case is completely different, Willie obviously had a few the night before, went to bed and woke up thinking he was sweet, he was careless and made an error in judgement, what Tamou done was reckless, he got blind and got behind the wheel when he didn't even have a licence.

Granted, there are differences, but DUI is DUI.

I pinched 2 blokes today at 1:30pm who had stopped drinking at 10pm on Australia Day. Both went low range it's easy to make that sort of bad judgement

Newtowneel

Juniors
Willie made a bad call in that he was wasn't counting his drinks or the number of hours of sleep needed to process the alcohol in his body. This is hardly a reason to crucify him. Yes he has broken the law and yes he will be punished by due process in our courts . Sure he's a "role model" but he's already copping more than the average Joe for his mistake, and he hasn't even had his day in court. I do think, however, it is time for standardised penalties for players for bringing the game into disrepute.

Latest posts