What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason gets owned

The Clan

Juniors
Tiger Hawk said:
Sounds to me like you do mind, this must be your 20th post on the subject, each one being exactly like the first, "blah, blah, whinge, cry, bully, cheapshot, blah blah".

Selfish, egotistical? Come again? What part of Mason's actions were selfish or egotistical?

One thing you did get right was that Willie threw the first one......after Glassie mouthed off, squared up, grabbed him and cocked his right. Who wouldn't try and get in first?

Let's look at the Long incident:
  • Replayed in actual time (as opposed to slow motion), it was clear to see Willie had committed to the hit and couldn't pull out. So it wasn't late.
  • It was high.
  • He didn't raise his elbow in a malicious manner, was simply trying to knock Long off his feet, as he was trying to hit him, not tackle him.
  • Because Long was off-balance, it was a cheap shot? Don't think so.
With the above in mind, appropriate action was to put it on report and penalise him for a high shot. Considering this was the decision made by the on-field referee, the third referee (seeing as he didn't feel the hit warranted his intervention) and subsequently the MRC, three separate figures, what is the problem?

PS - you should work on these alleged coherent replies.

Spoken like a kid that has never played the game!

The Clan

Juniors
I've just watched the game again but with the Ausie commentary.

They said at one point that Mason had hit Fielden and then landed 3 or 4 on Peacock for good measure.

What farkin fight were they watching!!!!!

Peacock clearly lands with two good shots with the final right hand sending Mason to the deck.

Typical one eyed Ausies!

Also when Long grubbers the ball dead Gould can't help himself and goes into a string of criticyzm

"NO no no no no no no no no no, That is not the play that Great Britain needed from Long"

Two minutes later Lockyer throws a crap pass straight into touch inside the Ausie half giving GB the ball and good field position but Gould has nothing to say.

It was also noticeable that Gould takes little part in the commentary during the final 5 minutes when Australia have obviously been beaten.

he's a t0ssp0t that Gould and a poor man to boot!

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
Tiger Hawk said:
Yes, and you’ve been churning out the same posts for 3 days. Anybody would think GB lost the game the way you guys are carrying on. Every single thread on the topic of Mason that I’ve read has been started by a Pom. Get over it.

Erm yeah...when one person has an opinion he voices it...then another person comes bacck with a different opinion or agrees...thats called a forum....i'll spell it for you F-O-R-U-M. When various people want to challenge your position...in this case, Australian people, then you tend to put the same arguement to those various people, which results in repetion, I said repetition, I said repetition.......

When a large man makes deflamatory remarks and is generally insulting towards your team, then you tend to think less of him. When he then goes onto the sporting field and illegally flattens one of the smaller players from that team you tend to think...what a total merkin..and so it goes...are you following?:-k

With the benefit of hindsight it’s possible you could label him selfish, same as you could label O’Meley selfish for giving away penalties as well. But it’s not like they went out there trying to give away penalties is it? I don’t really like Mason, let’s make that clear, but I don’t believe he cost us the game either. Those 2 penalties happened within the first 10 minutes of the game, and the game was still firmly within our reach with 10 minutes left. Our ineffectual dummy half service, repeated penalties by multiple offenders, lack of organization from the halves and a kicking game which was for the most part reminiscent of my U/13s side cost us the game. So in reality, it's possible you could label anybody selfish for playing poorly isn't it? So it doesn't really make sense because they don't go onto the field with that in mind.

Did he fire and inspire GB? I don’t believe so, given we weren’t dominated in the match (a late try blowing out the score line after some fortunate lead up play).

...Now in response to your Rugby related points...."but its not like they were trying to give penalties away was it?".....Well yes...I would think that Willie new very well that he would be conceding penalties when he punched Fielden and when he elbow charged Long. He would have expected to be off the field..even if it was just sin binning...please do not compare penalties committed by other players whilst legally playing the game of rugby league...its not in the same ball park...not even close. Hindmarsh made a high tackle but it was an accident which he immediately and smartly acknowledged...thats because he is a team player who uses his head...Mason is not. Players playing badly and systems not working do not make them selfish...oh dear this one I should be explaining to my son..."he didnt mean to drop that ball son, it just happens, he was doing his best"...do you get it? But if he saw what Willie did...what do I say? "He didnt mean to punch that man in the mouth...he didnt mean to carry on running and smash that man in the head...I pray your not old enough to be a father yet...:pray:

You do raise a good point on the egotistical comment. Oh wait, no you don't.

Yep, he was definitely going to defend himself after Fielden mouthed off, walked toward him, grabbed him by the collar and raised his right arm. Willie was lucky he got him first with that deranged guy obviously looking for a fight. If Fielden didn’t provoke him, nothing would have happened. Watch the clips, you can clearly see Fielden walking towards him and c**k his right arm, something so many people don’t want to believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMuvZNH5VAo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR4N9LA8jIA

You obviously believe Willies defence team....O.J. for president then :lol:

Obviously I’m not rose-tinted, considering every authority that had an opportunity to act on the Long incident did exactly what they should have done, which is place him on report for an unintentional high shot. If it was really that bad, he’d be gone. Why can’t you accept that?

And how was looking to hurt Long and had no intention of stopping till he did? On what basis have you formed this view? The fact Willie hit him earlier in the game? Can't be that because he didn't. Now you're making sh*t up.

You are one of the few remaining Australians who think this was unintentional...since you've taken the time to read my history maybe you should look back at the posts that came in from Australians in the 24 hours after the match. The majority enjoyed the punch on Fielden whilst also saying that the Long hit was late and intentional. If you dont think Willie was lookin for it then thats your thing...I think you've taken exception to the punch becoming an issue and now you're prepared to defend all things "Mason". You will of course deny this, but hey just like Willie believes his own hype...so you believe bullsh*t if you repeat it enough to yourself

Well this ridiculous and desperate point was made by some other whinging Pom and I agree that balance has nothing to do with it. However, the shot wasn’t very late nor was it malicious or intentional. I've repeatedly stated this and it has been proved by the MRC.

Sent off after he was provoked and threw one punch? You must be joking. On the Long incident, I cling on to it, as you say, because my opinion has been justified by the actions of the referee, touch-judges, video referee and the MRC. And unlike some, I was able to form that opinion without being influenced by the biased and utterly ridiculous commentating of that bald headed gnome Stevo.

Im not a Stevo fan either...when is he ever correct? The officials? Well i'm sorry to upset you, but officials get things wrong . Seems like im not the only one that knows that...shshshshsh...dont tell anyone else! :shock:

Have you noticed something here...you've repeated yourself...it happens you know.

You seem very angry TH. Did your parents leave you in London to fend for yourself? You surely cannot choose to live in London when you label us as whinging Poms. Personally I have no problem with most Aussies cos they have a good sense of humour. I think you need some anger management and maybe you should write home for the air fare. Some sunshine will do you good:)

Come up with that one yourself sparky, or copy it from somewhere else? Either way, you're running on fumes so I suggest you give it up.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
...Now in response to your Rugby related points...."but its not like they were trying to give penalties away was it?".....Well yes...I would think that Willie new very well that he would be conceding penalties when he punched Fielden and when he elbow charged Long. He would have expected to be off the field..even if it was just sin binning...please do not compare penalties committed by other players whilst legally playing the game of rugby league...its not in the same ball park...not even close. Hindmarsh made a high tackle but it was an accident which he immediately and smartly acknowledged...thats because he is a team player who uses his head...Mason is not. Players playing badly and systems not working do not make them selfish...oh dear this one I should be explaining to my son..."he didnt mean to drop that ball son, it just happens, he was doing his best"...do you get it? But if he saw what Willie did...what do I say? "He didnt mean to punch that man in the mouth...he didnt mean to carry on running and smash that man in the head...I pray your not old enough to be a father yet...
Considering that in his mind he was acting in self defense I don't believe he knew he was about to be penalised for the punch. The Long tackle to me is no different to the Hindmarsh tackle because, guess what, they were both penalties for head high shots. So in reality, at the very least, those two penalties are for the same infringement and whether you agree with the decision or not, that's fact. I’ll make it a bit clearer, it’s either:

1. He didn’t believe his actions would result in penalties (therefore he wasn’t acting selfishly) or,
2. Both Hindmarsh and Mason acted selfishly because they were both penalised for the same infringement.

As for other players making mistakes or errors in judgments, your original criteria for Willie was “Was it the 2 penalties he gave away? Was it the fact that he fired and inspired G.B.? Was it that he then made himself ineffectual for the entire game?”; so with that in mind, why can’t that include other players who were penalised or who were ineffectual during the game?
You obviously believe Willies defence team....O.J. for president then
You obviously haven't watched the videos with an impartial mindset; otherwise you would be able to see quite clearly that Fielden is the instigator in the matter.
You are one of the few remaining Australians who think this was unintentional...since you've taken the time to read my history maybe you should look back at the posts that came in from Australians in the 24 hours after the match. The majority enjoyed the punch on Fielden whilst also saying that the Long hit was late and intentional. If you dont think Willie was lookin for it then thats your thing...I think you've taken exception to the punch becoming an issue and now you're prepared to defend all things "Mason". You will of course deny this, but hey just like Willie believes his own hype...so you believe bullsh*t if you repeat it enough to yourself
I don't care how many people agree with me, it's still my opinion and I'm going to argue it because it's able to be backed up by decisions made by the various officials, and been justified from discussions I've had with other Aussies as well as some of my Pommy and Kiwi mates who agree with me. I'll admit I only saw the Long hit live, and perhaps if I saw it again I might change my mind but I doubt it. At the time I thought it was high and that was it, no raised elbow, wasn't late, just a clumsy effort from Willie. Fair enough to award the penalty.

Speaking of bullsh*t though, found an incident earlier in the game were “Willie went looking for it on Long” or still talking out of your arse? One clumsy tackle does not equal Willie went looking for Long.
Im not a Stevo fan either...when is he ever correct? The officials? Well i'm sorry to upset you, but officials get things wrong . Seems like im not the only one that knows that...shshshshsh...dont tell anyone else!
Of course officials get it wrong, but in this case they haven't. You've convinced yourself they have and are refusing to believe anything to the contrary, on either the Fielden punch (OJ for President, good one!) or the Long incident.
You seem very angry TH. Did your parents leave you in London to fend for yourself? You surely cannot choose to live in London when you label us as whinging Poms. Personally I have no problem with most Aussies cos they have a good sense of humour. I think you need some anger management and maybe you should write home for the air fare. Some sunshine will do you good
So we descend into personal insults, how surprising.

I've admitted I don't like Mason, that's not why I'm arguing. I'm a Tigers fan FFS, I hate the Bulldogs and all who play for them, I'm simply trying to express my opinion and each time I get nonsensical bullsh*t replies from Poms like "You sound like a kid who's never played the game", "Tigers fans are good at making excuses" and my personal favourite, the biting and hilariously witty "Loonie". If I'm able to construct a legitimate argument, then am bombarded by bullsh*t, I get a little ticked off because it's obvious these simpletons aren't intelligent enough to process something different to the crap that's been rammed into their already weak minds. Whereas you just cling to your little point of view and refuse to believe any other possibility. You’ve closed your mind on the matter, even in the face of evidence that quite clearly renders, at the very least, the vast majority of your arguments incorrect.

You want to continue this little conversation, PM me, I think enough space has been wasted on repetition, repetition, repetition (and yet, some people still fail to comprehend).

deluded pom?

Coach
Sorry TH but I can't agree that the challenge on Long was "clumsy" with no elbow raised. How else do you explain the cut above Long's eye?

Geordie

Juniors
Self defence my arse. Look at Fielden's right hand and you will see that although he pulled his elbow back his fingers were loose not in a fist, so what was he intending to do "slap the bitch".

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Geordie said:
Self defence my arse. Look at Fielden's right hand and you will see that although he pulled his elbow back his fingers were loose not in a fist, so what was he intending to do "slap the bitch".
Looks like a fist to me, but that is besides the point. If I walk into you on the street, push you in the chest, insult you, grab you by the shirt, and draw my other hand back, you don't have time to think 'hmm, his hand doesn't seem to have balled his hand into a fist - maybe he doesn't really mean to hit me, and I should just stand here and see what happens.' Your self preservation instinct kicks in, and you try to avoid being hit.

Danish

Referee
mattyg said:
I won't be watching the game because i have better things to do on a Saturday Night. If the Tri Nations judiciary followed the rules they have for every other player, then i would have worked my plans for Saturday Night around it, regardless if Mason was playing, or being rested. I don't watch the Tri Nations simply for Mason. I love watching it but since the TN's judiciary don't have the best interests of the fans in their mind (we dont wanna see one rule applied for King, and a different one for Mason), i won't bother. I don't see what the big problem with that is.

I would happily watch the game if no bulldogs were playing. In fact i attended the match in 2005 between AUS and NZ and from memory there were no bulldogs playing in that game for Australia. I just want to see consistency with the rules for each player.

Stop thinking you are so smart, because you aren't.

So if Mason got off, you wouldn't have any issues with the TN judiciary for not siting him over a disgusting elbow to Long's head, and boycott the game for that reason?

Danish

Referee
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Looks like a fist to me, but that is besides the point. If I walk into you on the street, push you in the chest, insult you, grab you by the shirt, and draw my other hand back, you don't have time to think 'hmm, his hand doesn't seem to have balled his hand into a fist - maybe he doesn't really mean to hit me, and I should just stand here and see what happens.' Your self preservation instinct kicks in, and you try to avoid being hit.

Problem there is Mason started the fight. So really it was fielden who stodd there to see what would happen, and got smacked.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Problem there is Mason started the fight. So really it was fielden who stodd there to see what would happen, and got smacked.
Fielden pushed and insulted Mason before Mason hit him, was holding onto his shirt and had drawn his other hand back. The point was that Mason would have reasonably construed such behaviour as threatening violence to his person - anyone in his position would have.

By the same token, Fielden should have expected his behaviour to draw a response. Try walking down the street, pushing someone roughly your size, grabbing them by the shirt and drawing your fist back, and see how they respond. Most of the time, one would expect them to hit you - it is the natural response to being threatened.